Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Leaving your 'day job' Next Topic  

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  9:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
As I am sitting here, procrastination going to bed as I don't want to go to a conference tomorrow for my job, I am pondering and dreaming about future plans of homesteading/farming/self sufficiency/self employment. I am just wondering how many of you talented farmgirls have been able to leave your jobs for a farmgirl career or are in the process of getting there.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  05:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh I haven't left mine YET but am getting more and more serious about it. There are some "issues" at the school I am at and I am beginning to think it is time to move on. Either to a different school or into a new career that I can do from home.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  05:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Leave my day job?? In a heartbeat! I think I'm heading full throttle into mid-life crisis (I'm 49, so does that mean I'll live to be 98?) I'm a CPA, and I've had just about enough of dealing with people on a financial level. The people you think are nice, decent people put on a whole new face when dealing with money. You learn a whole new side of the way things "really" work, and it's not necessarily pretty. There are some decent people, but there are a lot more greeeeeeeedddy people out there!!

Oh, and the reason I can't leave my job is that I can't make it financially without the full-time job income (now how ironic is that?!)

ktknits (when she can squeeze a little time in!)

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  05:48:41 AM  Show Profile
I knew I had to leave my officd day job when I would get physically ill (nausea, migraines) on Monday mornings, dreading going into work. I quit, and I am not close to having my own piece of farmland heaven, but at least I am blessed to now have a job where I work from home. And to echo Kathy's irony, my farm dream is pushed back further because I took a sizable pay cut to work from the house. But I love my home-job, and that's worth everything.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  09:05:07 AM  Show Profile

Does your family depend on your income to put groceries on the table? If so, then don't quit anytime soon. Farming does not provide the same level of income, and you'll probably need to weed out a few of your 'wants' from your needs in order to make it work.

My grandparents farmed full time, but both also worked outside of the home. Farming was not going to sustain their family. Most full time farmers have one spouse who works.

Basically it boils down to wants vs needs. What can you cut out of your current lifestyle? Will buying chicken food really be cheaper than buying eggs? (We all know it's healthier, but if you're quitting your job, it needs to be economical as well.) Have you got a market for what you'll be producing? If not, you'll have spent money to create your product and not have anything but a debit to show from it. If you can't currently afford to sustain that loss, then keeping your day job until you can is a good idea.

I'd love to paint a totally rosie 'you can do it' picture, but in all honesty it's hard work and you've got to be ready for that lack of cash flow that comes with it

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  09:33:45 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Tracey. In fact, the Ohio Farmer had a front-page article last year urging young people going in to farming to "diversify" - and they meant, get a job off the farm. Preferably both husband and wife.

When I was 25, I thought I would start a part-time business raising Angora rabbits. Although I accurately figured the feed and reproduction rates, my projections of labor and materials for housing and marketing wool were WOEFULLY inadequate. I lost so much money on them! Even after they were gone, I was dreaming (nightmares, really) of bunnies reproducing everywhere, and I couldn't keep up with the feeding, watering, and manure disposal problems - many a night I woke up in a cold sweat and heart pounding, dreaming of rabbits everywhere.

If you want a hoot, read Why Cows Learn Dutch: And Other Secrets of Amish Farms
by Randy James, Crist C. Miller. Pay particular attention to the page where the extension agent works with the young Amish farmer trying to decide whether to buy in to his parents' farm. Notice that while the bottom line is a positive number, there is NO SALARY paid to the farmer. And the number isn't very big!

I am mulling over a similar problem, I have been given an early retirement offer. While it would mean some guaranteed income, it's a lot less than my salary would be. I couldn't afford a lot of losses on the farm!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everything everyone has said so far! When you work for yourself, or are a full-time homemaker, you definitely have to determine needs vs wants. Also, sit down and figure out exactly how much you really bring home from your current job. Do you have daycare expenses? How much are you spending on gas? Do you eat lunch out every day? Do you pick up "take out" dinner because you're too tired to cook in the evenings? Clothing expenses?

I did this when my daughter was little and found out that after all the expenses I was bringing home about $3.50 an hour!! Needless to say, I quit my job and became a full-time homemaker. I was able to save our family money by being home full-time to cook meals so we weren't eating out plus manage our home. But we also gave up a lot of wants. For a long time we only had one car. I stayed home all day because we were off the bus line unless I drove my husband to work. I only shopped garage sales and thrift stores for clothing.

Now that my daughter is in middle school I work 4 days a week. The main reason I do that for my health insurance. It would cost us over $500 a month to cover the family under my husbands insurance. My company pays for my insurance. But I'd much rather be at home full-time and that may happen when we get some bills paid off early in 2008 -- at least I'm hoping!

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Sep 30 2007 10:44:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  2:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Very true about farming. I grew up on a farm and I still wonder at times how my dad managed to make it thru the 1980s. He always says that every year was no profit. One key thing he has always done is pay cash for everything. That is one area I am really trying hard to work on and do as well. When I see farmers driving brand new combines at $200,000 plus I can't imagine how it is all working out for them. I remember going to auction after auction after auction with my dad to acquire equipment and tools and such.

At the present moment I am a single parent so I won't have the option to leave my job any time soon. BUt I am planning ahead and tossing around ideas for some kind of self income to leave the rat race. I work in health care and they way things are going now, I look for health care to eventually go bankrupt. So many hospitals, esp rural ones like mine, are having to close their doors.

I've been hanging out at some farmers markets this summer. I think if you are willing to get out there and really work at it you can make some money there. But it will be alot of work. People are realizing that locally grown food is best. It all jsut takes time and sometimes I am not so patient.

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  7:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! Health care is not looking good? I thought with all the baby boomers entering their golden years that health care was supposed to be booming?

That was my fall-back in case manufacturing goes bust! What will I do now?

I didn't sell at the farmer's market this year, but last year I went on Saturday mornings - my average sales were $60.

I spent 4 hours selling at the farmer's market.
2 hours getting everything packed and ready at home
1 hour travel and setup time
1 hour cleaning up afterward.

Do you see where I am going with this? If you add in the time spent planting, weeding, watering, hoeing, (or mulching) plus the cost of seeds, fertilizer, and pest protection, the time spent tilling and preparing the soil, etc, plus the cost of advertising, packaging and labeling your product, transportation costs, booth rental (ours is $5.00 for the whole season) $60 a week will not pay minimum wage. The first week I borrowed a card table, the second week I took my $60 and spent it on a folding banquet table and a tablecloth..... LOL, where did the profits go? The third week I spent my entire sales on other people's products!

Granted, I did not have a lot of variety in my booth, just produce and soap -- and granted, it is a very small farmer's market in a small town with lots of vendors.... so you could probably make a lot more in a bigger market or with a specialized or more expensive product.

This year I decided I would go to market only if I had a huge surplus of something unusual - or early, or late -- the only thing that would have met the criteria would have been my lettuce crop -- and unfortunately, it was ready the one weekend I had a comitment out of town.

Sarah, go for it! I would be the last person in the world to discourage you - I still plan to try again next year! It was a lot of fun, and I got to meet a lot of people.

But don't quit your day job.... LOL

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  9:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
By healthcare going bankrupt i mean this. Hospitals charge so much for a service but insuarnce and medicare will only pay so much and that's it, so there is most always a loss. Alot of places cant afford to keep their doors open. So organic gardening/farming is really needed for us to stay healthy! :)

I think the types of products offered and the marketing put into the farmers market are the key. For years in my area there was a lady who had a roadside stand with excellent produce. Word of mouth made her successful. She isnt around anymore but i would love to work on that kind of scale.
I will definitely keep researching and planning throughout the winter.

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  1:05:19 PM  Show Profile
I would love to quit my job and stay home! I have a part time job, where I work all day Tuesday and half day Wednesday, then every other Wednesday I clean a lady's house. Housecleaning money goes for my chicken feed, and the rest helps support the household bills. My husband has his own business, which he's recently moved onto the property. Having never lived on a farm, we figured in about five to ten years we just might could make it pay for itself. Well, now that we're there, that's not going to happen. In fact, we were recently offered $10,000 as a gift (with conditions attached) in order to make our dream come true. Part of the giver's understanding was that dh would be able to shut down the pump business and farm full time. We regretfully had to tell him that even $100,000 wouldn't give us that opportunity, and turned down the offer. When we bought the farm, it was already well on its way to being run down. First thing we checked on was fencing, and came back with a quote of $17,000. The barn is shaky, to the tune of about another $20,000. My chicken coop will cost us roughly $1800 (maybe even more because we want to 'predator proof' it), and I can go on and on. Needles to say, I won't be quitting my part time job any day soon, and my husband will be looking at pumps for many years to come! Sarah, I know what you mean about the rural healthcare. There's a clinic about 20 minutes from us, but any serious health issues are sent about an hour away. And, even with our jobs, Tracey's right. We've weeded out a lot of 'extracurricular' spending, just so we can save for the needed repairs or additional cattle. I haven't given up hope, though. We do make some money off our farm, from the sale of fresh eggs, cattle, chickens, ducks and turkeys. I've still got a positive outlook, though, and job or no job, I love my farm, I love my life and I'm sticking with this until they move me out feet first. Still, if you're creative enough, you may very well be able to make your farm pay for itself. There are quite a few success stories out there, so we've still got hope! Sarah, I'll do the same for you, and all the other farmgirls. I'll hope for y'all as well!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Well, I may be one of the few that thinks it could be done, however, a total and complete life change would have to take place. My husband and I are on a five year plan to completely pay everything off...and then bring him home...meaning, out of the rat race. I'm using this time to learn some crafts, soap making, etc., learning to grow my own food, grind my own wheat, etc. Our attitude adjustment isn't complete yet as I feel I have one foot in homesteading and one foot at the mall. Let's face it...it's easier to run to the pizza place (or easier yet to just call them to deliver) than to make our own. I'm under no illusions that caring for our needs instead of running to the closest market is going to be easy or romantic. But at the same time I feel like the materialistic pull we are living in is killing us (slowly).

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  4:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Julia I think that we all fight that at one time or another. I did just this evening. I had to run to the next town after school to pick up my son's new boy scout shirt and patches. Then run home to sew the patches on quickly, I waited till the last minute to buy a new one as I was trying to find a used one but no luck. So then I'm thinking what am I going to feed the kids for supper with no time. I was so tempted to make a Burger King run but I thought about it and decided to stop by a grocery store and pick up just afew things to make sub sandwiches instead. I spent less at the grocery store and have the makings left over for other things too. So I hurried and sewed the patches on, we get in the van to leave and the phone rings...the meeting is cancelled!! ugh lol To beat that, I had my laundry hanging on the clothes line, almost dry and it starts raining about 20 min before we get home. Just gotta hang in there. I just constantly keep thinking that the more pennies, dimes, dollars I can save now, the closer I will be to being debt free and living on my lil farm way out in the sticks somewhere. Wooohoo!! Now THAT excites me and motivates me to keep going and doing and saving more. One book that really inspires me to keep my dollars in check is The Tightwad Gazette. The author has loads of ideas, some of them are very extreme, just to forewarn. But she breaks it down and shows how it can be done. Mary Jane's book is also very inspiring. I just paid my big library fine yesterday (OUCH) so I could check it out again. We can all have our piece of heaven in the country and make our daily living from it. I think, hopefully, we are seeing a turn around in the way we live. People are seeing that the slow, community lifestyle is so much better than rush rush rush just to give all your time, money and life to some corporation.]
Hang in there farmgirls, WE CAN DO IT!!!!!

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  1:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Sarah - I can say we are in the middle of doing just that. I work as a director of sales and marketing with a corporation. My husband and I have a company called The Good Earth Farm. We sell herbal products, spices, teas, etc. My DH is now at home working with the business. I continue in the corporate world mainly so we can pay our new land and home off within the next 5-7 years. I think the toughest thing for me is being so close to the dream. We have almost 6 ac of land with an adorable house on it and two creeks running through the property. However each weekday I drive 4 hours round trip to work, deal with large corporate accounts all over the world and all the coporate headaches that come with it. All I want is to be home on our land. But I know I am blessed to be heading in the right direction. Remember you can start living the dream now. Make changes to simplify your life, garden, craft, put up food, etc. The little changes make such a BIG difference. Best of luck

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Sarah -- I totally think that anyone can be self-sustaining. And I think that we need to have these dreams to keep us going. Julia and Tamara -- I totally admire both of you because you are making this dream happen! I am a long way off and may never have my own land BUT I'll never stop dreaming about it. And I can be self-sustaining in other ways in the town. So Sarah, if this is what you want to do I say go for it!

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  7:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. Sometimes, after 5 extra things come up that I haven't planned for, it seems like such a far off dream. But I am bound and determined, one way or another that I will make it happen. This is how extreme I am getting, lol. My boys and I are taking 'camp showers' to save on the water bill. We are limited to a 2 gallon shower..being gallon vinegar jugs, since we only have a bath tub. Hey, it works. I read somewhere about people not having water and doing that, so I figured why not. The kids think it's fun to pretend to be camping.

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  8:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Ha! Sarah, you remind me of my childhood on the farm, we only took baths on Saturday nights (before church on Sunday) and sponge baths the rest of the week. Mom used to say we could grow potatoes behind our ears! I think it was mostly before we hit puberty, I can't imagine doing that now, of course!

In the last week some family things have come up that have made this decision over whether to take the Early Retirement Offer (at 51! I'm too young!) even more sharply defined --

My brother's son, my nephew, ran into some legal problems. Lawyers are expensive! So is bail, if needed, and this all came up so unexpectedly it made me wonder "how much emergency money is enough?" (It was nothing that my brother or his son did that caused this problem, it came out of the blue.)

Then my father finally saw the doctor about the pain in his lower back - he has two totally degenerated disks and can't do ANYTHING now - going up and down stairs is forbidden. Since the laundry room and freezer are in the basement, he is going to need help - If I retire, I can be there with my time and efforts, but if I do, how can I help financially if they need to make modifications to their home? How much savings is enough? What if I need the same kind of help when I reach my parents' age in 25 years? What will inflation have done to my income? Will Social Security be there for me at age 65 or not?

Hubby says I am just wasting my time even considering it. Keep working until I can't work any more, keep the farm going in the spare time, that's his advice....

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  07:05:15 AM  Show Profile
it CAN be done, but it ain't easy. :) My herb shop has been in business full-time for 9 years - no profit was turned the vast majority of those 9 years. I learned a lot of things NOT to do, the hard way. lol. Anyway, in my little area of the world, my neighbors run a jersey dairy creamery, dairy and on-farm store and do NOT work off the farm - they actually employ several people to work on the farm for them, and have been in business for 5 years. My other neighbors have a nubian goat dairy and on-farm store - one lady works off the farm, the other full-time on the farm. We have different products and market our wares in different ways, but the one thing we al lhave in common is we work VERY hard, and we all go for value-added items as much as possible. I couldn't make a living selling fresh or dried herbs from my 2 acres - but I can, by making those herbs into other types of products. Same for the other farms with their milks - they get more for it as cheese, butter, or ice cream then as just "milk". Adding value - through further processing - is one way to be able to make more money off a farm.
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  10:59:21 AM  Show Profile
I left my "day job" in human resources just about 8 years ago. We had doubled our house payment, doubled our children, and then cut our income in half all in a year. What a sacrifice to be home with children, but oh what a blessing too! Before leaving my "day job", I used to feel very trapped even though I enjoyed what I was doing, at times I didn't think that there were other options.

My Forrester Farm business does well with the local farmer's market and weddings. I've not yet replaced my former income, but life sure is good!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Just bloomin' where I was planted!
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  3:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Maggie and Ann...I absolutely love to read stories such as you wrote about. What an inspiration!! My son took a cub scout field trip yesterday and they got to milk goats. The boys were supposed to ask questions, but I think I asked them all! lol I am hooked on goats! I am so motivated to be able to sell my house in town next spring and find a lil piece of heaven in the country. I already have two good goat milkers.

Keep the inspiring stories and advice coming yall!! woohoo let's farm girls!!!

Blessings....
Sarah

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Oct 16 2007 7:19:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  7:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Sarah, you would have loved the farm that I visited last week. 20 goats and they are all with babes. The farm website is under construction, but I'll pass it on soon. I picked up goat milk soap from the farm to carry at an event that I had last Saturday. What didn't sell, I'm taking to the farmer's market with me for the last 2 weeks to add to my cut flowers and fresh cranberries. If all goes well, I'll be carrying the farm's goat cheese next year at the market as well. Actually, Dogwood Farm went thru the local G.R.O.W. program that I mentioned earlier as well! Opps....It was in a different post. See www.growbusiness.org.
Blessings to you too,
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  7:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Brenda...I'm really beginning to squeak here. lol Growing up we had a good well for drinking but it didn't put out but like 3 gallons an hour or some small amount. So we also had a cistern for everything else that we hauled in water to. I heard "don't run too much water in the bath tub" for so long that I still tell it to my kids. lol Actually in the winter time, when their skin is already dried out from the heat in the house, if they aren't dirty and don't smell I let them skip a day and just wash the basics. My favorite tigthwad author talks about selective squeamishness...she was referring in her book to her child having taken just one bite from an apple and she saves it for another use. But I think selective squeamishness can be applied to just about everything.

I am loving my electric/gas bill for September...only $71. yea! Now if I could only get away with no heat and no a/c all year long. ha! lol I can almost smell that fresh country air.....

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  06:18:24 AM  Show Profile
I quit my teaching job almost two years ago to stay home and have a daycare on our farm. I now have a waiting list and I bring in about $30,000 a year.

My husband farms full-time with his father. We just purchased an irrigation system (two center pivots and a reel system) this past year, so hopefully that will increase profit on the farm.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  07:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Here at The Four Country Gals, here's how we've handled all the angst of working from home vs working off farm.

Of course, I'm telling the story a page at a time on our blog, but to help the discussion along, I'll share what we're doing.

Before Cindy and Bev made the move, they had much to consider. Bev is a cancer survivor and was a career police officer. She was declared 100% disabled and receives a pension which pays about 70% of our regular bills (icluding a portion of the mortgage).

Cindy took her PERS retirement lump sum to help establish the new homestead. Mom contributes her SS which goes straight to the mortgage.

Within about 6 months they burned through the cash and began looking for extra income. Both Bev and Cindy found part-time employment. In Bev's case, she began driving the Senior Citizen bus for the local Senior Center. Keep in mind that before she accepts any employment, she has to get permission from her pension provider.

Cindy found "seasonal work" at a neighboring farm. She calls it "getting paid to learn", which is pretty neat, as that farm is developing an organic farm-to-market garden.

I came along, and all I have to contribute so far is a meager amount from some online residual income. However, my "job" here is to take care of our increasing livestock. We're now up to 3 horses, 7 sheep, and 22 chickens. Guess you could say I'm the "hired hand", and I get board and room for that.

Early this year, Bev got an opportunity to return to full-time employment (with the blessing of her pension fund), and began commuting 114 miles a day. At the same time, gas went from $2.39 a gallon to over $3.00 a gallon within a month. She also found the training for the new position to be more difficult than expected. Within a matter of two months, we had a "family meeting" and determined that losing the "net pay" from her job wouldn't break us.

After all her expenses, the net increase in take home pay was less than $200 a month over what she had been making as a part-time bus driver. And, that didn't include the wear and tear on her body, driving home in the middle of the night and worrying about hitting a deer, or falling asleep at the wheel and having an accident.

So, we've gone through another 8 months and here's where we are.

We've managed to keep up with the bills, triple the size of our little horse stable, build the "predator proof" chicken coop and run, lay in a supply of wood and alfalfa, quadruple the size of the sheep pen, and even construct a green house. All those projects were paid for with the income from Cindy's summer work, as well as with careful purchasing.

We're still struggling to get the farm truck. We found one in Enterprise, and the guy is letting us make payments. It's a 1970 Ford F-100 Ranger, 4WD, manual transmission. It doesn't look like much but with him being our mechanic, he's making sure it's reliable, including new tires. Price... $1500. We still owe another $600 on it, and hope to have it home by Christmas.

Sure, it's a gas guzzler, but it won't get a ton of use... It's purpose is for hauling hay, and lumber, and fencing, etc. We've got to preserve the other vehicles.

We're planning for this winter to be a little less stressful than last winter, as I'm starting a new online business within the week that is a "no brainer" and also, Cindy has found an online business that is providing her extra income.

We don't go shopping for the things other people buy without thinking. Shopping is for food and other necessities, only including an occasional shirt, jeans, gloves and hats. We buy boots when the pair we're wearing get worn out.

Oh, and we wouldn't trade our lives for anything in the world.

In 1996, when I retired from my own business, my blood pressure was 210/109. I was a stroke waiting to happen. Put on BP medication with nasty side effects, I swore I'd change my lifestyle, even it meant I'd never have much money.

Today, my BP is 138/80 without meds. I'm still 80 pounds over my ideal weight but I'm down 18 this year without dieting. To me... our new lifestyle is priceless. Oh, and Bev is cancer-free now for five years.

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"

Edited by - therealshari on Nov 08 2007 07:56:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  1:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I'm 25 and single no kids. I want to make a life where working at a 9-5 is not needed for me. I am slowly cutting down on society "needs" aka wants and simplifying my life so I'm not stressing about money and I'm saving a lil everytime I get paid. My goal is to be a stay at home mom. I think that's the most precious thing in the world. Family doesn't view it as that because I'm educated but phooey.

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I'm 25 and single no kids. I want to make a life where working at a 9-5 is not needed for me. I am slowly cutting down on society "needs" aka wants and simplifying my life so I'm not stressing about money and I'm saving a lil everytime I get paid. My goal is to be a stay at home mom. I think that's the most precious thing in the world. Family doesn't view it as that because I'm educated but phooey.

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Leaving your 'day job' Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page