Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I love this place Next Topic  

hannieva
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jackie
Willard Ohio
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  08:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Send hannieva a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Farmgirls,

I love this place and all the great information. I cannot wait until our farmhouse is done and livable. I do have questions...anyone know how to transplant asparagus? start bittersweet? blueberries? black raspberries? I believe I have enough room to grow such things now. I do have a great asparagus patch now and would love to transplant some of it to the new home.
I have so many ideas that you are all an inspiration. I just keep reading and clicking to websites, blogs, etc. and then have to find my way back to where I started--MaryJanes Farm!
Great day
Jack

I wannbe be a farmgirl

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jackie-

If you go and get a start of black raspberries in the spring when it is starting to grow the strongest, you should just be able to put some rooting hormone and it will grow like a weed! They are wonderful! I don't know how to trasplant aparagus or bittersweet though. I am sure some ladies here will know though! Have you tried asking down in "Garden Gate"?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jack! I love this place too! Your asparagas should dig up easily in clumps. separate into smaller clumps and replant the clumps in the new area that has about the same amount of sunshine and as deeply as the original patch. I know nothing about bittersweet, sorry. However, transplant your berries, both blu and black, while they are dormant. prune them and dig them up. you can plant them temporarily in pots until you are ready to plant. if you have 'bare-rooted" them, which is removed all the soil, which makes the move much, much lighter, then keep them moist and plant asap. I have had much better luck with the planting in pot method and I recommend that method over bare rooting which tends to dry out and then die to easily. Best of blessings on you and your new home, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

hannieva
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jackie
Willard Ohio
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Send hannieva a Yahoo! Message
Thanks! I appreciate the advise so much. I hope my asparagus grows at the new home because a lot of people will be disappointed if it doesn't! My family & friends loves it. I can't wait to walk in the woods to see what is growing-hopefully I will find bittersweet growing alredy.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jackie-

You are welcome! Isn't it great to get on here and share information? I always love posing a question and coming back to see the replies! It makes my dream farm feel that much closer!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I love this place Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page