Page: of 3

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:40:50 AM  Show Profile
We are in progress of buying a home. Looking at an older farm house on 3 acres tonight. Other homes we've looked at have 1. There are others available but we aren't sure we want to retire here yet and can't really afford more acerage yet.

Still that's enough for chickens, a few milk goats, a garden and another bigger dog.

The other consideration is reselling if we are posted elsewhere.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  07:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
An older farmhouse always sounds exciting to me - I love mine - warts and all. Good luck with this one. Is there more land that might be available later? We bought our adjoining land one parcel at a time over several years.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  09:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Holly-

Good luck with the house hunting! I am sure you would find three acres just perfect for right now. Enough room to roam and grow in!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  07:12:11 AM  Show Profile
It's been very frustrating! All these small towns are zoning themselves to ban hobby farming! I mean we could buy a an acre with a nice house but can't have chickens or goats! It makes me very angry --- I mean where do you getr off telling me what I can & can't do with my land?!! We looked at a 3acre home last night that was built in 1897 -- needs a bit of work & it has a dirt floor in the basement. I don't know if we want to get into that much homeremodeling.....

help!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  08:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Keep looking and thinking about the places you have already seen. There is a right place out there somewhere for you. Maybe the rough gem of a farm you looked at last night will turn out to be a blessing in the long run.

Also here is a link to some real estate listing I found by googling "FT Riley Real Estate" this page I am sending to you has a customizable search for price and such. The search results you will see is by simply clicking "Rural Home" as the only search factor. there are homes listed with everything from 280 Acres to less than 4.

http://www.schoenrockrealtors.com/results.php
Good luck!

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Jun 01 2007 08:47:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile
olde homes are wonderful (as are new!) .. i just love the feeling of the 'lives lived' in older homes.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Hope you will soon get the farm of your dreams. I know how you feel about the zoning. I feel like if I bought it, paid the taxes, where in the world does someone get off telling me how to live there. Hang in there.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:15:48 AM  Show Profile
SIGH .............just still not sure which way to go. But sure am tired of looking!

Everything here is to small, to Pricey or needs lots of work. It's a bit scary after 18yrs of military housing to decide about buying.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What price range and acreage are you looking for?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile
It's not so much the acerage as we need at least a 4 bdrm house........preferably with a large living room and a basement. $150,000 or less.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How about this search result? None of them have much land but they have enough bedrooms! :)
http://www.schoenrockrealtors.com/results.php?Offset=20&whichForm=full&Area=Junction+City+Area&Bedrooms=4.00&Asking_Price_from=5000&Asking_Price_to=150000&Order_By=ListingPrice+DESC&Limit=10&x=61&y=14&
Alee

Edited by - Alee on Jun 04 2007 5:20:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  6:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee - we've actually considered a couple of these already. Some are to far from post and some are still to small. That's the thing with the older houses they may have 4 bedms but if they are under 1000sq ft we will not fit. Many of these are listed as 4 when they are truly 3. That's why we've been frustrated!

Thanks again though. I appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  9:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi, there, Holly - I know it can be SO frustrating looking for the right home/farm/land - with animal rights, too, and water, if you need them. Have you had any luck in the last couple of days?

XOXO, Libbie

Edited by - Libbie on Jun 06 2007 9:54:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Come to Wyoming. We have lots of land and it's cheap! Okay, it's cold and the wind blows. So what if you are far away from civilization. We love it and it keeps the developers from building here.
WE'd love to have you!

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:55:05 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to be in Wyoming but hubby has two more years until he retires from the Army.

We are probably going to make an offer on the house in Abilene (http://www.helpusellofsalina.com/listings/l0007.html) this evening. It isn't perfect - but it will definetly work. Hopefully can get things up and going so we can at least have a goat or two, some chickens and a bit of a garden before winter.

Thanks for asking ladies.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Nice house--hope you get it!! Thanks for sharing...

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  5:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful find! Great price, beautiful house and a really great price! That house around here would easily be over $200,000! I hope your offer wins!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Holly - What happened? That is a great house love that kitchen floor actually I liked most of the rooms looks like whoever the present owners are have country tastes. I second what was said about price before. That house is about the same size as mine and here in Washington county Vt it would go for 270-325,000 and the taxes would be at least 3,000 a year....whew maybe I should move west or south!!!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Well we'll see..........this house has been on the market since March with no offers. We made an offer today and so did somebody else!!!!! AAGH!!!! May find out tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  07:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Nope. They went with the other offer - we can't afford to pay closing & had asked them to fix the well pump, give paperwork showing the survey, remove the easement and leave the hoosier. The others didn't ask them for anything!!!

so we're back to square to one it seems.......

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am sure your perfect place is out there somewhere!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  06:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Well the latest devlopment is that we are still looking..........I was really angered last night though.

We had called about a 4bdrm house for rent in JC. I asked if they allowed pets and she said yes and I told her we had two small dogs that weigh 40lbs put together. I think she though I meant 40 apiece as she said later we prefer small dogs. ???? But the kicker was that she didn't want 4 children in the house! Mind you I say again it's a 4 bdrm.... we need a bigger house duh.... when I said that sounded a bit discrimnatory she said no racial is discrimanation! and then she hung up on me....

Now granted as the landlord she has the right to choose her tenants but saying no because we have 4 children is WRONG!

What is wrong with people today?!

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Off to look at another place tonight --- I think the house may be to small but it looks nice and there is 15 acres.

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  06:06:05 AM  Show Profile
More house hunting today - 4 places. All of them have at least an acre. We'll see I guess.

Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I wish you could be here in Canada. A farmhouse up the road, 5 bdrm, fireplace and 20 acres is on the market for $159 000, (Yup, Canadian)
I am in love with the place, even though I am not looking. It has been kept up nicely.
I will keep you in my prayers that you find the perfect place for you....
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Holly,
oh you have to get that house in Abilene,,,,I luv that community. & it is President Eisinhower's(sp) birth place. My daddy was part of the furneral procession when they laid him (Predisdent) to rest. I have toured the Prsidents family home too!.
Is the little old 'Praire Village" still around? ( I can't remember exactly what it was called) it was your typical touristy stop over back in the '60's.
Let us know if you get the house. Hugz to ya. And rememeber, "Home is where the Heart is".

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Hoping...... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page