lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile
So I was wondering where you all get your garden seed/plants?

Do you do the mail-order/website thing, or go with a more local source such as a neighbor or farm store?

How many of you save seeds each year, and what luck do you have with that? Just trying to get some ideas for next year!

Thanks,
Toni

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:31:36 AM  Show Profile
All over! This year in particular, we did a vege garden, and I got a lot of my seeds from Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds (because I wanted to see if you COULD actually put something in the ground as seed and it grows--it DOES

I will use them again next year, because I found them to be reasonable, and there was such a selection OY VEY did I have a difficult time choosing.

I get my perrenials and annual plants from a local nursery near Harrison, Ohio, called Adopt a plant. She always has a wide variety of selections, too.

My potatoes and onion sets came from the local feed store, Fedders. Did just fine, though next year I will order some Russian Fingerling potatoes to please hubby.

Good luck, it's certainly endless!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  12:57:19 PM  Show Profile
I order from many, many seed catalogs. I really like Jung's and One Green World and Johnny's Select Seeds and High Country Gardens and Seeds of Change the best. I get great qualit seeds and plants from all of them and if I happen to kill something, these companies have never given me a problem about replacing it.

I do order from some other catalogs, too when they have something no one else has. I love the unusual! I almost always buy my annuals from local nurseries, though. Unless it's something easily started from seed like Alyssum, marigolds, sunflowers and such.

All of the companies I listed are also on line. Like Jonni said, the possibilities are endless. Just be careful to use well established, reputable companies. I avoid the ones that use drawings/paintings to represent their products. I learned the hard way.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  6:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I have been ordering all the free catalogs I can find and am probably going to go way, way overboard this spring. Have any of you ever used Territorial or Nichols? I am in love with the Seeds of Change catalog and website. Such pictures!!!
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  6:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I like Johnny's Seeds, altho a bit on the spendy side. I am going to try to start saving seeds every year like the oldtimers did. What would we do if we couldn't just go and buy everything we need? I often think about that. Also a good place to get plants is from your compost pile. lol I just noticed tonight in mine I have a nice mystery plant about to bloom, I think it is a squash or zucchini. I found one lonely sweet potato when I was cleaning my basement left over from last year that was sprouting. So I threw it in a jar of water. Now I have all these sprouts that are reaching the 2 foot mark and I'm wondering just what am I going to do with it this winter?? lol I am thinking of plopping it in a five gallon bucket of dirt to see what happens. I am going to have a growing like in my basement this winter since my mom has alot of volunteer tomatoes just coming up, just to see if I can maybe get a fresh tomato or two during the cold weather. I am so long winded this evening.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  01:46:13 AM  Show Profile
I go ga-ga for seed catalogs. I am starting to look forward to the raw bleak part of winter when they start arriving. Such a simple joy to curl up in a favorite chair with a cup of tea and a pile of seed catalogs =)
Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds and seeds of Change always throw me into fits trying to decide what to try and grow. So many wonderful plants to choose from.

Pinetree Garden Seeds has some good prices and interesting selections and they are very nice folks to deal with.
http://www.superseeds.com/
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  09:20:35 AM  Show Profile
I get my plants and seeds from everywhere. Some are exchanges with Farmgirls and Friends, others I get from my mom - which next weekend I am heading to her house for plants. I also order from on-line, catalogs and then I get great deals from local nurseries, farmer's markets and places like Lowe's and Home Depot garden centers. I have had to scale back a bit until I can get a handle on the summer watering - if I am gone too much during the summer the plants suffer since we do not have a sprinkler system. This year though I have a rain barrel that I am going to use only on the veggie garden - so that will help keep the water bill down a bit.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden sources Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page