True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tonight we decided to try a new food.

Nora has so far tried (more than just a nibble)
Rice Cereal
Oatmeal Cereal
Pear Juice
Apple Juice
Whole Cow's Milk
Cherrios
Bread

So tonight I steamed some carrots, pureed it, mixed it with some cow's milk and rice cereal (a recipe from a baby food book).

Nora ate about 1/4 of a cup along with cow's milk to wash the bites down with for dinner and then nursed a little afterwards, and then about 7:30pm she was hungry again so I fed her another 1/4 of a cup and more cow's milk to wash it down with. She nursed again after she decided she was done with the food and was out in about 2 seconds flat. She was so deep asleep that when I carried her upright to her crib (hoping she might wake up a bit to nurse a little more) she didn't so much as bat an eye!

Anyway- just had to share with my farmgirl sisters!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  9:16:00 PM  Show Profile
i am glad that "Food" feeding is going well so far...word of caution about rice cereal though...it turns to sugar right quick. I would stick with the oatmeal cereal and altogether avoid the rice. The same with Cows milk at this age. Nora is still so young and allergies can develop quickly. I have always found it wise to stick with just a few basics, some oatmeal cereal, carrots, cheerios (or metric equivallent) and breastmilk-maybe a little water if necessary after 6 months.

It's what worked for me with both of my babies and they have always been super healthy. OH! one more thing, this goes for grown ups too. drinking while eating should be avoided. Drink something before hand and afterward (in Nora's case, some breastmilk is better than cows milk!) but not during because it can hinder proper digestion, and distracts fro the enjoyment of the food flavors.

She's growing up so fast Alee!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  11:29:40 PM  Show Profile
HOw fun! My kids LOVED carrots, sweet potatoes and peas too when they were babies too..and of course bananas. Mine tolerated cow's milk very well...alot of kids can. Mine loved yogurt as babies too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Sounds to me like little Nora is off to a real healthy start Alee. And I agree with Aunt Jenny, it is fun to let your little guys experience new foods and tastes.
My girls were all started on rice cereal as well. It is usually suggested as their first "cereal" as it's the least likely of all the grains to cause an allergic reaction. But we were lucky and they tolerated most foods really well and soon were eating oatmeal and barley cereals.
They all loved sweet potatoes too, as well as squash. I used to take a well-ripened banana and just scrape it with a spoon. They also got whole cow's milk and yogurt.
I think it's cute she loves cherrios. Mine got puffed wheat (maybe not the best choice), but it was great to put it into a plastic container with a small opening and if they got bored driving or shopping, they could have it.
It seems like you just had Alee. Before you know it, she'll be sitting at the table with you guys!
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't believe she is growing up so fast either! She is such a sweet and loving baby. My life just wouldn't be complete without her now!

She did wake up in the middle of the night which is very uncommon for her- I think she went to bed to early (not enough naps yesterday) and maybe the carrots didn't keep her as satisfied as a full nursing session would have of. So I have decided the lunch is going to be the "real" food feeding for the day instead of night time.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  3:20:52 PM  Show Profile
I use breastmilk also whenever I need liquid for mixing with real food. Sullivan doesn't like cereal, but he likes bananas and cheerios. He got mad at me the other day because I would let him have chicken nuggets, which I was eating. He gets very mad whenever he sees me eat! I tried him on some pumpkin, but he wasn't sure. It takes a lot of trying sometimes. My other son never wanted to try any food until I gave him yogurt. He loved it and it made him willing to try everything. Now that he's a big boy, his favorite foods are lima beans, peas, and peanut butter sandwiches. He will eat lima beans right out of the can. He will even get the can himself and bring it to me to open it!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora had more carrots today. I think she is really starting to like them! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  06:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
It is fun to watch their faces as they try new foods. My dad could always get them to eat whatever he was eating. I had to draw the line at beets though...bad bad diarrhea from that. There is nothing better for teething I think that a fresh corn cob. Ok, maybe I am a lil too backwoods. lol We picked up a mini food processor at a sale and whatever we ate I just whizzed up in it for baby food. For convenience I would make extra and freeze in ice cube trays then store. Just pop one or two out to thaw and you're good to go!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:03:00 AM  Show Profile
For teething I always used a frozen pinapple core. The kids loved them and they get some nutrients from it too. To this day at ages 31 and 26 (had a birthday yesterday) both kids love pinapple.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  08:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well Nora is really getting the idea of the spoon now! She even is grabbing it with her hand and getting it to her mouth! How cool is that!! She loves her carrots, but I am going to be excited to feed her something else soon. I am ready to move on from the orange smear! LOL Maybe next will be avacados...so green smear? LOL Oh well! At least she is learning what healthy foods taste like.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Feeding real food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page