Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic
Page: of 598

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  07:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Jess, my room is a lovely green, and it only got painted..lets see..I'd say 4 years ago...so I'll wait til this coat is a few years older before I start going for red again...haha, plus...my craft cabinet matches the green really well...hahaha

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on Nov 06 2007 07:31:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  07:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Carol, I found a seller selling buttons on Ebay. I usually can find good deals on buttons. The auction ends tomorrow, I think.
Jessie, I didn't see the oven door dress, but I have made my own version and have been selling them for quite a few years now like about 7 years or more. The ones that I have seen have ribbon ties, and customers tell me that they fray.

www.countrynmore.com
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfabrics4u23
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile
hmmm...i will go find the link...i made one and did not use ribbons...my old lady friend LOVED it.

Good for you Nay, let your room live its life in green...green is good too!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  07:50:52 AM  Show Profile
http://calamitykim.typepad.com/photos/whip_up_a_darlin_dress_to/kitchen_towel_dress_project_1a.html

here you go Sharon, looks like she used various kinds of ribbon, but when I made it, I used bias tape and rick rack..it is holding up well. I just love it.
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Oh boy, this is the first time I have surfaced all day.....cleaning out closets, corners, etc. Re-organizing myself. Fall seems to cause that for me. Am leaving for the meeting in the morning....gone thru Sunday...yikes. Hope you all get a bunch of sewing done!!!

Hey Sheryl-lyn....did I hear you say NYC??? Next time we will need a lot more time to explore all the fabric and trim shops....I am game for some weekend after Christmas!!!

Visit my workshop at: www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile
good luck on the clean out, but i cannot imagine you have many unorganized closets Bev!!!!!

hmmm....take your camera phones to nyc and send photos...I want a play by play as your day unfolds!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jan Ramos
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jan
Denver CO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  5:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello, ladies. I am the founder and co-owner of BaggyShirts, the company that some of you have been chatting about recently. I would like to provide information that might help you understand what BaggyShirts is all about, including on what our pricing structure is based.

First and foremost, the core purpose of BaggyShirts is to achieve the triple bottom line – to positively impact social, economic and environmental factors of life on this planet. I would like to share with you some of the ways by which we are accomplishing this.

We do not fabricate the bags ourselves, although my business partner, Dana Miller, and I are perfectly capable of doing so. Instead, we have chosen to offer an in-home income-producing opportunity to LOCAL people, as follows:
1. A retired friend of Dana's who simply loves to sew, as it appears all of you do!
2. A woman who lost her job unexpectedly. Immediately thereafter, we brought her on board. She is a master seamstress, and we are blessed to have her on our team.
3. The husband of the above seamstress. This man is recovering from heart surgery and was going stir crazy! He asked his wife if she would train him to sew BaggyShirts, she did, and voila! We have another master seam..ster?!
4. My 80-year-old mother who made her living as a seamstress and can now use extra money to keep my father in an expensive Alzheimer's care unit. She loves fabricating BaggyShirts and has discovered through it a new-found purpose each day.

We are VERY proud to say that our fabricators are well paid. We could ship materials to numerous foreign countries to be fabricated and shipped back at a fraction of what we're paying our fabricators, but that will never happen. LOCAL fabricators earning a livable wage is an element that we established from the onset, and we're thrilled that, with a little practice and consequent increased speed, our fabricators have far exceeded that wage and have even exceeded the industry average wage by a significant amount. It is for that, and only that, reason that our prices are what they are. Reusable bags branded by Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods, even Wal-Mart has one now, all appear to be made from petroleum-based products and, at $1 to $2 each, are most likely fabricated in off-shore sweat shops. As the seamstresses that you are, I am sure that you appreciate a company that pays respect to others in your industry and offers them the opportunity to make a nice living. In addition, we give our seamstresses the sergers used to fabricate our products – and invite them to use them for their own personal projects.

We have approached The Women’s Bean Project (http://www.womensbeanproject.org/), a non-profit organization here in Denver devoted to breaking the cycle of unemployment and poverty among women. They offer training, jobs and structure in a year-long program, which involves combining, packing and shipping soup mixes. The organization is very excited about collaborating with us in a plan that calls for teaching these women to fabricate BaggyShirts in which their soup mixes will make their journey around the world. Our reason for initiating the collaboration was to offer a useful and sought-after skill that will translate into the mainstream in a much more viable way than mixing together soup ingredients. Also, in its three-month-long life, BaggyShirts has been recognized in a variety of ways. Colorado Public Radio chose us as one of only three businesses statewide to be featured in a series on companies going green; we have been covered on Denver’s NBC affiliate, 9News, along with our local Channel 2’s This Morning show, the one that Bonne mentioned last Thursday; last Friday, we received runner up to Colorado’s Business Citizen of the Year Award (winner was a 10-year-old green construction company); and we were asked (and accepted) to be the keynote speakers at next week’s AmeriCorps graduation ceremony at their Denver campus (http://www.americorps.gov/). I mention all of this not to pat ourselves on the back, but to reflect the response we’ve received from a community who knows our entire story.
Sure, it would be nice if Dana and I were to become rich from BaggyShirts, but that would be an unexpected bonus, and it’s not likely. Since starting this business three months ago, each of us works 70 to 80 hours a week, and our 25- to 30-hour-per-week fabricators have made far more than we have. Additionally, as you may know, it is very costly to start a business. Patent and trademark processes and the attorneys who carry them out, accountants, marketing, advertising, website construction, insurance, sergers, licenses, graphic design, photography and software are just a few of the expenses that we incur. All tolled, these costs have already run into the tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, we donate a portion of our sales to organizations that are working to stop global warming. BaggyShirts has been named the official reusable bag of the Denver Film Festival, and we donated $6,000 worth of BaggyShirts to the non-profit organizer, The Denver Film Society, to offer as gifts to their attendees. A portion of the sales during this festival will be donated to them, as well. So, in the end, there is very little of that $10 to $35 sales price left for Dana and me to split, and in fact, we will be in the red for some time to come. If our goal were to get rich, we would have a much greater chance of attaining that by fabricating BaggyShirts ourselves.

I apologize for the lengthy posting, but I hope that this information has generated within each of you a new-found appreciation for BaggyShirts. I welcome any questions and/or further comments about our products and prices here on this website or on the Contact Us page at baggy-shirts.com.

Thank you.
Jan Ramos
Founder / Co-Owner
BaggyShirts LLC

BaggyShirts - Reusable bags made from recycled clothing for a healthier planet!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  5:28:52 PM  Show Profile
oh my!!!
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:01:29 PM  Show Profile
whats that about?

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:05:58 PM  Show Profile
oh we were discussing it on November 1st, and I think we may have struck a chord here with our newest farmgirl. She has the company that makes shirt bags for shopping that we were discussing.
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:08:21 PM  Show Profile
oh I guess its her thing then.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile
yeah i guess so, here it all is from page 61, so you dont have to hunt for it
Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

812 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 07:53:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These gals were on the local morning news program
showing their recycled shopping bags from men's shirts:
http://baggy-shirts.com/cart/
you can get a good idea of how they make them from
just browsing their products.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ Blog
http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/soap.html Soap

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

2508 Posts

jessica
bloomington indiana
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 08:29:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cool...but not that engenious. They aarent even finished...just serged! $25.00 are you kidding me?

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Linda
Scranton PA
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 08:38:44 AM

I can't believe the price! We could all start making our own recycled shopping bags and help the planet at the same time...but why make them rich at the same time?? wow

Quilting...sewing..reading...posting...swapping. I LOVE being a FARMGIRL!
Linda in PA

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

315 Posts

Sharon
Altadena CA
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 08:57:44 AM

I agree with you on that one. I have made my own bags before. I bought these stretchable bags from ecobags.com, and they are really great, so I use these instead.

www.countrynmore.com

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

812 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 09:10:32 AM

Exactly, like I say, you can get an idea of how to make your own
looking at theirs.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ Blog
http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/soap.html Soap

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

2508 Posts

jessica
bloomington indiana
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 09:11:38 AM

yep...good snooping idae bonne!

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Linda
Scranton PA
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 09:16:16 AM

I went to the ecobags.com site.... thanks for the info! since I crochet I see that it could easily be made with cotton yarn. Perhaps we could start a new thread about how to make bags .... for shopping, recycling.. etc. I have seen a free pattern from the cotton yarn also.
What do you think Sharon? A topic of this?
I also have seen a site on how to crochet the plastic shopping bags into things...

Quilting...sewing..reading...posting...swapping. I LOVE being a FARMGIRL!
Linda in PA

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

2508 Posts

jessica
bloomington indiana
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 09:28:35 AM

Kati makes great crochetted shopping bags.

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

315 Posts

Sharon
Altadena CA
USA

Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 10:42:30 AM

Linda, I think that it is a good idea. Many of the supermarkets are not using plastic bags anymore. I go to a store, and they give incentives for individuals who bring in their own bags. They have a weekly drawing for $25.00 free groceries. I haven't won yet, but hope to.

www.countrynmore.com

from page 61

Edited by - smoothiejuice on Nov 06 2007 6:10:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow thatas where I went to! I see nothing wrong with the posts just your opinions. I guess you probably couldn't copy and sell them if you made them.

Edited by - cinnamongirl on Nov 06 2007 6:16:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:16:03 PM  Show Profile
yes, my thoughts as well, i am a poor seamstress with 7 kids, i have to make my money work for me, that is all. I can see how some people would be attracted.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:17:26 PM  Show Profile
I dont think any of us were going to copy them and sell them, however, I do make a very good kids backpack out of a mens shirt!!
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Any how your sewing room looks great Jess. Is that a spare bedroom or an entry or something?
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:29:57 PM  Show Profile
yes, it is our mudroom at the back door that turned into the playroom, that turned into "the-kids-never-pick-up-their-toys-and-then-throw-their-soccer-gear-and-hockey-equipment-on-top-of-it-all-and-can't-find anything-on-their-own" room, so I cleaned it myself, threw out a bunch of useless toys, and took it as my own!
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Mommy strikes! At least it has a good use now!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:40:34 PM  Show Profile
yep. and i left a shelf of toys for the littlies so i know what they are up to whilst i sew! and now we can eat in the dining room!
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  7:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hey there Jess, I was out with Jack when you called...did not have my phone on. Checked out the post you were referring to....looks like that person joined the forum just today to give us that info.... doesn't look like a typical farmgirl post to me.

Visit my workshop at: www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  7:17:25 PM  Show Profile
disappointing!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  8:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I can honestly say that I make all my things. The only thing is that the blank sweatshirts and denim shirts were already made, but I altered them.
It is nice that they gave a homeless person a job, and that her 80 year old mother has a new purpose. I know that mil has offered to help me sew, but I honestly don't think that she could handle it at her age (91), although she does play the piano for a couple of services each week. It takes its toll on her, so that is why I would think that sewing would do the same thing. It is nice that she offered. She did help me snip threads when she was here in the summer.

www.countrynmore.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  8:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow Jan!! Welcome to the forum!!

Please don't think You were under attack Dear!!
As we are all Great Crafters & Artisian's ourselves!
& Are pretty aware of the cost of materials that go into our wares as well..
So yes.. it WAS a bit surprising to see the price that the bags were going for..!
Nothing at all personal to you our your Local Fabricators..

Feel free to take a look at some of the Etsy sites & blogs..
I'm sure you'll see similar items selling at a variety of Prices..
& being of the Farm Girl mind Set.. Yes.. WE are all Very Earth Friendly As well..

Take care.. & again.. It's SO great to have you on board!!

Best wishes!!
Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  10:12:57 PM  Show Profile

I tried out that dress tea towel tonight but I think it needs more embellishments. I used velcro to close it.
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  10:20:08 PM  Show Profile
eeee!!! So this has nothing whatso ever to do with sewing...but..oh my gosh...go CHECK MY BLOG!!!!
and to keep this on topic:
sewing will be caught up as soon as i've finished my schoolwork..ugh..though i did make a curtain, and sewed the machine sewing part of 8 out of 20 of my mini aprons...

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln
Check out my blog:http://thebellamodiste.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy store: www.shesewsbytheseashore.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 598 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page