Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic
Page: of 598

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  10:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi sistas! I have something I sewed for you to actually see! Frannie put it on her blog. It is a long off white apron I made years ago...all by hand...didn't have a machine then. The ruffle is from an old curtain and I don't remember where I got the unbleached muslin. I do remember wearing it only a few times as part of old timey costumes for special church programs. I also made a sun bonnet I wore with it....don't know what happened to the hat. When Frannie described the type of apron she liked best I remembered it...dug it out of hiding. Now you see I can really sew. LOL
Oh, by the way, my last name is a Spanish name from my X husband.... We have our adopted son who is pale, blond and green eyes like me....we both have Mexican last names. LOL Now you know more about me! Hope ya like the apron.
;-)

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

read...post....sew....read...post....sew...all the day long..la la la la

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  11:54:48 PM  Show Profile
I actually sewed today! Had to blow the dust off the sewing machine. Made the cutest little laundry bag out of cream fabric with pink roses. Couldn't get a good picture but will take one tomorrow.

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  12:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, it showed up this afternoon and wow girl I owe you, That was major work for you. I meant to tell you earlier. This hyper business makes my brain sore!!!!!!
I think there should be some minis in your future. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
CS

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  02:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda,

I love the apron! Very nice

I had seen it a few weeks ago I guess when Frannie posted an update to her blog.

I've been busy the past couple of days and wanted to say hello to everyone!

Stephanie

quote:
Originally posted by yarnmamma

Hi sistas! I have something I sewed for you to actually see! Frannie put it on her blog. It is a long off white apron I made years ago...all by hand...didn't have a machine then. The ruffle is from an old curtain and I don't remember where I got the unbleached muslin. I do remember wearing it only a few times as part of old timey costumes for special church programs. I also made a sun bonnet I wore with it....don't know what happened to the hat. When Frannie described the type of apron she liked best I remembered it...dug it out of hiding. Now you see I can really sew. LOL
Oh, by the way, my last name is a Spanish name from my X husband.... We have our adopted son who is pale, blond and green eyes like me....we both have Mexican last names. LOL Now you know more about me! Hope ya like the apron.
;-)

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Linda in PA

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  05:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Frannie didn't tell me it was there so I am glad that I came accross it reading. I'm going to read more forums now...there is so much there interesting about farmgirls I am already getting to know. :-)

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  05:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Steph: also I have a new little blankie to send with your signature block. Got it in the envelope...send it soon.
I put "I love Aprons" on the block too. :-)

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  05:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Jo! love that apron...old fashioned and beautiful!

Bev: I really like the Halloween reversable...I have one cut out waiting for me....it would be good for putting candy in to hand out...I like big pockets.
Also, I think about the pattern you sent me and I promise I will use it soon! I also think about you when I see the bee magnet on my fridge everday.

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  06:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Can one of you lovely apron experts post just a few hints/ideas/how to's on how to make a reversable apron? I'm assuming you are just modifying the pattern a tad. Thanks!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  06:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Carol, I am glad that it arrived safely. Enjoy

Linda, I am impressed that you did it all by hand. I had a friend who did all of her alterations by hand.

www.countrynmore.com
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfabrics4u23

Edited by - countrynmore on Oct 02 2007 06:54:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  09:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Here's the little laundry/lingerie bag I made yesterday.

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I really like that laundry bag. It is so delicate and pretty.

www.countrynmore.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Kay, what a beautiful bag! That is a good idea...and a pretty one. Is it cotton or part mesh? I have been in the mood to make some tote bags and purses that are washable. There's something special about handmade things being used, don't ya think?

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

AuntJo
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Jo
Oklahoma
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Kay, what a pretty bag.

Aunt Jo to 24 nieces and nephews and counting
http://auntjoscorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  11:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Sarah
No expert here -but this is what I do to make mine reversible.
Just cut out the exact same pattern 2 times.
Sew right sides together leaving an opening for turning out.
Turn out- press and stitch opening closed by hand or machine. With ties and neck pieces you may have to attatch after basic apron is completed.
Hope that helps.
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  11:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, there are a couple of ways to do it. Cut 2 of the apron pieces, 2 of the individual yoke pieces, 4 pockets, and 4 of the apron ties.

Stitch two of the apron ties together with right sides together. Do this with the other two. Turn right side out (I like to top stitch ties), and baste to the apron about 1/2"-3/4" below top edge of apron sides. Attach the pockets to the front of each apron. Stitch hokes to the apron. Lay the apron ties flat on the apron so that they won't get caught in the stitching. I usually lay the apron piece with the ties down first, then pin the other apron piece to the piece with the ties. Stitch outside perimeter of the apron and turn right side out. Now, with the neckline, I place pins around the center about 1" from the raw edge, and then I turn under the neckline and stitch. I also top stitch around the edge of the apron. I hope that this makes sense.
I am sure that you will hear that it is a lot of work to turn under the neckline, but it really isn't.

I have a friend who does basically the same, but she stitches the right sides together without the yokes. Then, she stitches the yoke pieces (right sides together) and turns it right side out. She folds under the bottom edge, and places the folded edge over the top part of the apron (the part that normally is sewn to the yoke of the apron). This is what I don't like that she does. She doesn't sew the yoke to the apron. She does however top stitch around the outside of the apron.

I think that it is hard to explain in writing. The reason that I like the way that I do it, is that I can add seam binding over the seam where the yoke and the apron are stitched together before stitching both sides together. When I add the ruffle, I face the folded edge of the ruffle piece so that it faces the middle of the apron. The raw edge of the ruffle is stitched to the raw edge of the apron. I also have the each end of the ruffle match up with the top edge of the ties ( I don't know if this makes sense).

Sorry for the long post.

www.countrynmore.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Kay~ what a pretty bag! Love roses.

Sharon,
thanks for the instructions on the reversibles. Very handy to have.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  12:53:37 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I hope that it is understandable. I know in my head, but sometimes it is hard to put down in writing.

www.countrynmore.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Lovely laundry bag! I was thinking of making myself one, so now I am inspired to do it. When? Maybe this weekend or next week.

Great ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:26:57 PM  Show Profile
" target="_blank">

This is my new Christmas fabric! Such cute pears. I should have enough to make a table topper and a matching apron. I'll share the pics as I get the projects finished.

Annika
http://people.tribe.net/58d06a60-1cdd-4357-b4e3-bc523ed51ff5
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:28:20 PM  Show Profile
ooohhhhh, I like that fabric!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Annika, that is gorgeous fabric. I like Christmas fabrics that are different.

www.countrynmore.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Very pretty!!
See an expert showed up-tks Sharon!
I keep forgetting all the names but wanted ALL of you to know how much I am enjoying your creations!
A very talented bunch!
Some of you girls must be stitching away- havent heard from you in a while.Hi to you too!
Show us what the faries are doing in your little corner!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, thanks for the compliment. I am on a sewing break, but not of my own choosing. Mil arrives next Monday, and I have plenty to do before then. It never fails, I am on a roll, then we get a surprise visit from mil, and everything has to be put away. I used to have a sewing room, but I have to clear it out so that my son can have it. Sigh......

www.countrynmore.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the reversable instructions. i will give it a go.

I had to stop into JoAnn's quickly this afternoon to pick up some thread for my son's scout patches. And I asked the girl if the big sale was still on. She was kinda rude and said there is always a sale going on. lol I said well what is that flyer there...and that one over there... lol

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  5:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Annika, That fabric is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 598 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page