Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Horse Boarding and Training
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Boarding and Training Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  09:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh. I have been doing some research into horse boarding and training in our area.

It looks pretty common for horse board to be anywhere from $250-$300 a month and horse training with _good_ trainers to be around $400 a month for right around 22 rides a month (for training under saddle).

What is it like in your area?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:00:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm paying $225 a month for full board since I'm not home much but it's well worth it. That includes hay, water and pasture that is in really good grass, so I don't feed grain at all. The BM took care of Gigi while she had an abcess and kept me updated every other day or so (I once called her 4 times during the day and she didn't mind).

I don't know what trainers are asking around here so can't be any help there.

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  6:06:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm paying $525 full board that includes feed, hay, water, pasture, stall cleaning, wormer every other month and 12 hour turnout. I found a wonderful trainer in TN and he costs $750/month for training but well worth it. I'm located closer to the city of Atlanta so my boarding costs are high.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  6:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh Ayako! I am so glad that I live where I am at then! I could never afford to have a horse at that cost. It is going to be a big decision if we do decide to go forward with this purchase anyway! *hugs*

How is your horse adventure doing, by the way? How is your new friend?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  03:27:42 AM  Show Profile
I am having so much fun with her. She is a great first horse to have. She is easy to catch in pasture and loves to go in the arena. I haven't tried her out on trails yet and we are starting to get to know each other. I'm going to the Southern fall classic Missouri Foxtrotter show in Clemson SC October 19th so I'm kind of frazzled about that right now. I'm still trying to figure out how she is but it seems like she already knows what to do in the arena. I'll send her off for training after the show for some fine tuning for trail riding and make sure she is safe for me to ride. I'm new at it so I think it would be safer if a trainer did all the trail riding training and teaching her to ground tie, sidepass, cross water, bridges, etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the pictures out of my cell phone and onto my computer. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Ayako, for having the good sense to involve a trainer with your first horse! Glad she's doing well for you.

Alee, I'm blessed to have my horses here, but when I looked around at boarding one last winter (so I could have covered riding space) the self care places were $150. That would mean I bought my own feed and had to drive twice a day to feed/clean.

Hay prices are sky high this year in most regions so you need to figure that into what's being charged. And I don't know about where you live, but here gas is roughly $3 gallon; at 20 mph, I'd be spending roughly $10 each day to go feed. If you can find a place for $300, it's probably well worth it! You can always ask if you can work for them once or twice a month for a small discount, too. A friend of mine has a small boarding stable and everyone pitches in twice a month so that she can have some time off.

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Boarding and Training Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page