New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New Kitchen Sink Advice Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  07:38:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a 1930"s cottage-style home we are remodeling with a new kitchen. I need a new kitchen sink. I have always had two smaller same size bowls in other houses, what to get? I want something that looks like the period but functional. Do I really need a separate garbage disposal bowl? I definitely want a garbage disposal. My mother had a single bowl with those white porcelain drainboards on each side but is that practical? I've also looked at those farmhouse style single bowl sinks where the front porcelain is visible, just not sure. Please tell me your thoughts as I am going to live with this sink a long time.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  10:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think if you just have one sink bowl and you hand wash ever- you have to buy a seperate tub to put in the sink for the soapy water. For that reason alone I like to have to two sink bowls with one having a garbage disposal underneath. You can buy some really nice and fun looking porcelain ones that will look great in a country kitchen!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile
My choice would be one small bowl for garbage disposal and rinsing; the other one larger for washing large pans. Whether or not you have a dishwasher, there are pans that are too big for most sinks. I also would opt for a tall faucet, for tall pots. Even the dog water buckets won't fit under the usual faucets.
Personally, I would rather have porcelain than stainless steel. Can you tell I've already chosen what I will be getting when the dishwasher is replaced, which isn't too far down the road.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is good advice, Ronna! I used to clean houses and I was always grateful for the high swan neck like faucets and deep big sinks!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New Kitchen Sink Advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page