Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Putting weight on a horse Next Topic  

brighteyesk9
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Alta
Florida
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Send brighteyesk9 a Yahoo! Message
I have 3 horses that in excellent condition. Two quarter horses and one appendix. I always have trouble keeping weight on the appendix. I know it's because he is more high strung and just needs that little extra. I already feed him grain with beet pulp in it. I thought that I would add some fat content to his diet to help put on extra weight.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Visit my blog at http://lovecountryliving.blogspot.com

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile
You might want to also post this under "Barnyard Animals" section - I almost missed the post here.

I had an appendix who was a little underweight when I bought him. The barn where he was boarded began using Strategy feed by Purina. I believe it has a higher fat content than the average horse feed. Well, he plumped up like a little sausage! Maybe look at the ingredient list of Strategy and compare it to what you are feeding to see if there is a difference in fat content or any other ingredients.

Mary Ann, aka Horseyrider, would be an excellent resource for this type of information!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  3:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Strategy by Purina ia great feed. The ranch I work at uses it on their Arabians that are show horses. Also I would suggest putting a little bit of rice bran in his food. Rice bran can really help them put on the good pounds if they are a bit under weight.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I forgot to mention that he might need his teeth checked and to always check with a vet- even if it is just a free phone call as he might have worms or even something else wrong.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:41:04 AM  Show Profile
I have an 11 yr old TB. I had the vet come out to check his teeth and they were bad, so he had his teeth floated. I also feed the beet pulp, and I'm trying weaght builder, but I don't think that stuff works. I feed Platform Pleasure from Tractor Supply. It's a 13.5% fat content. Everyone I have talked to is encouraging me to try Legends 10 from Southern States though. The platform is pelleted and the legends is textured, so maybe that has something to do with it also. I used to feed cracked corn in the winter for the extra calories, and fat.
Hope this helps,
Cristine
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Putting weight on a horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page