Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Anyone build an outdoor oven? Next Topic  

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  06:14:33 AM  Show Profile
I have been searching the net for How To's plus today paying a visit to the library for books on the subject. I found the one from Sunset magazine I like
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium/Home/1998/08-Aug/AdobeOven898/AdobeBuilding0898.html
But the material list seems a bit much. I traded my husbands old ski set for 60 firebricks (which seems to be the mass of cost in building one)and have a decent amount of red bricks here to use.
I am looking for a method without using so many "extras" that need purchased- and clay is not easily accessible here.
Has anyone built an outdoor fire oven using more simple materials/much less cost expense? Our home is up for sale so this is more of a practice oven for me- yet I do want it to be efficient for the next owners. I look at it as an added value to the property along with the many other "country living" benefits.
So any suggestions/ experienced hands?

http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/ A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...

Edited by - unusual farmchick on Jul 21 2007 06:15:41 AM

lasagefemme
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Lisa
eastern Washington
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  02:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see lasagefemme's MSN Messenger address
I would suggest you buy/check out Kiko Denzer's book "Build Your Own Earth Oven." I haven't built ours yet....but this book has been invaluable and very inspirational. I'll probably have to buy clay too. But you can do it!!!!!

Lisa

*Drink RAW milk*
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:34:27 AM  Show Profile
My ex was a ceramics nut and he built an oven to bake our turkeys in for Thanksgiving out of clay and water from the ground. First he dug a pit and lined it with the natural clay then he started building up the sides little by little. Letting each layer dry first then adding the next layer. Build it in a dome shape, each layer coming in closer till it meets at the top. Leave a space for the door (of course!). After it was dry, we stuck the foil wrapped turkey in there and he used broken bricks and more clay to block it. Put the charcoal in the bottom of the oven with not much flames. Oh and leave a vent hole on top somewhere or it will explode.

The first turkey bake got way too hot and when he opened it, all that was left was a charred carcass and a few bones. So next time we didn't leave it as long and it came out fine. Matter of fact, we got to where we could bake chickens and veggies to just about right. The oven didn't last very long but all you have to do is rebuild and we got pretty good at that too.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  11:19:12 AM  Show Profile
I never made it to the library- time got away from me. I will be checking the library site for that Kiko Denzer book. I want a more tall oven then is shown at the link I listed. I would prefer all brick and much less clay. Gotta get to that library....

http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/ A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Well I googled how to build a clay oven and came up with all kinds of stuff. I thought this page was good and it has links to all kinds of other stuff, now I am interested,lol. The Brick Bake Oven PageExperimental Easy to Build Oven with Alex Chernov MHA Annual Meeting, 2007 ... Excellent website. Superior Clay - Clay oven manufactured in Ohio ...
heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm - 35k - Cached - Similar pages
Has one build with rocks, and since Ihave a large supply of rocks that might be an option.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  6:48:27 PM  Show Profile
I did a net search too and found the site. If i can get my hands on enough clay, I will go ahead with an adobe style oven. The brick ovens seems so precise- & cutting bricks is not something I want to take on.
So back to clay it is.
Thank you ladies.

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  05:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
A clay oven is one of the things on my wishlist too. For now, I content myself with an outdoor fire pit. Please post photos once you get one up and going.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  12:31:05 PM  Show Profile
I have the firebricks still sitting by our Bonfire pit. Our home is up for sale and so many other projects have cut in line of the Oven. I am having such a hard time finding enough clay to make an adobe. I have been calling home/neighborhood developers in the hopes I would find one who would let me come get 8 wheelbarrows of the stuff, but they either do not return my calls (most likely think i am crazy) or tell me they would "only" charge me $15 a wheel barrow. Ummm no or something....
So We will see if it gets done before winter.
Fingers crossed!
~Tammie

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Tammie,

I know that some years ago, Mother Earth News had an article about building an earth oven. Sorry I don't know exactly when the article was published, but I wonder if you went to their website and did a search for it, if you would be able to find it. They usually use very simple materials and the projects aren't too overwhelming.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I ran onto this website by accident one day searching for something else, can't even remember what. The lady is an artist so some of it is a bit ornate, but she uses easy to get and leftover supplies to make it. It is interesting if nothing else. enjoy
http://www.primalmommy.com/earthoven.html

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile
WOW! That is a really great oven. It looks like a ton of work, but worth it in the end!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I am excited about this, we have lots of rocks that people pull
out of their fields. At the back of our property we have
a huge pile, super!! As to the animal hair, have lots of that also
and I already save dryer lint to put out for the birds. I shred my
junk mail and use it for mulch, so now will have another outlet
for it. How neat to have a cook out and pull fresh baked bread and
rolls out of the oven, impressive.

Thank you so much for that link, I printed it all out. I figure it will be a good winter project.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
You're welcome. Be sure to post lots of pics while making it and the end product. We want to see it!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Anyone build an outdoor oven? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page