ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  09:47:10 AM  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago, I spent $100 at the grocery store. I usually don't spend this much, but it's Jewish holiday season, and they had huge sales on kosher meat and cheese and grape juice, so I stocked up. I also picked up a package of diapers on sale, and I had a store coupon for a whopping $4.50 off any diapers bought at that store, so I got about $16 worth of diapers for $7.50. I saved approximately $35 plus another $10 or so on the meat (the meat markdowns weren't registered in my savings), which means I basically saved more than 30% on my very large grocery bill. I was pretty proud of myself. I showed the register tape to the woman behind me in line.

She said to me, "Wow...I should take lessons from you."

I answered, "My mom is the best at this. I learned from her."

She said, "So what? Do you watch the sales and just plan what you're going to eat based on what's on sale?"

I thought to myself, sure...doesn't everyone? I mean, I certainly choose what fish to buy based on what's on sale, and vegetables and fruit are always cheaper in season, so I watch those sales. I found the whole thing very strange. It's not that complicated to be frugal.

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am with you on this Amanda- And I learned from my mom too. I watch the sales and buy accordingly. My hidden talent though is being able to come within a dollar or two at the check out. I have a memory that can keep each price per item so when I put it up at the check out I can add it up quickly and know exactly what I am spending. Also good for when you know its on sale but it rings up at regular price.

blessings
beth
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Norman MacEwan

I Can

http://blissnblossomfarm.com
http://lifeatbnbfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:19:11 AM  Show Profile
I just found it shocking that she thought she was learning something complex and fascinating by figuring out that I save cash by...gasp...watching the sales.
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Great job Amanda Over the years I have realized that a lot of what we might consider "common farmgirl sence" just doesn't apply to everyone. I plan bi weekly menues based on sales and stock up on items. A lot of times friends of mine are amazed at my grocery savings. I have a budgeted amount that I can spend for groceries. There is enough budget to allow for some stock up items. Frugal and farmgirl just seem to go together.

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I try to have a general plan of what I want to prepare when I go to the store, but I certainly am willing to change that depending on what is on sale at the store. It really amazes me how many people just grab the "normal" off the shelves and don't even look at the prices.

Another thing that suprises me is how many people just don't know how to prepare raw foods any more. Most people when confronted with a raw green bean and a can of green beans will reach for the canned version. They just don't know how to deal with the unprepared stuff.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  3:56:32 PM  Show Profile
Great job!!
I find it funny, too, how people just don't get it. I have so many friends who spend more than twice what I do at the store..with the same size family. I am glad I learned young to be as frugal as I can. Neat that you were able to help that gal, too, right there in the store!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile
Until I started playing The Grocery Game (www.grocerygame.com) I NEVER watched the sales and planned from them. If I was at the store and saw something on sale I needed I would buy it, but I never planned ahead enough to buy only what was only sale... which is pretty much what I do now. I've cut my grocery bill from $100 a week to $60 a week, and I'm still trying to cut that out (if the family didn't guzzle milk like they do, I would save another $12 a week...).

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  6:57:48 PM  Show Profile
I've gotten to know a woman with foster and adopted kids as well as biological and now a family of 11. Was amazed that she didn't shop in bulk, which I think I convinced her to at least try. They've just moved to a very rural place with well and septic and she had no clue how to keep from having the septic pumped often with that much use. Told me she liked talking to "older" women who have so much knowledge....wahhhhh, I don't want to be older :) She gave me the Rainbow vacuum I love and I was able to finally help her with my old cell phone.
I used to always save at least 1/3 by grocery shopping sales and coupons, now still do okay with just the two of us to feed.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  8:20:24 PM  Show Profile
You are a wiser Ronna, not older!!!
You mean there is another way to shop besides the sales and a list. LOL
I really love when the stuff I need for staples is on sale....even better.

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  9:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol Sue! Makes me feel better.
Larry doesn't care what I spend or save, so don't bother telling him anymore. He might care more when he retires and not so much money coming in...but, doubt it. His mother was a fanatical penny pincher and he's always been the opposite. I still shop like I have to watch every dollar, just too many years when it was necessary.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Why should the grocery store get all my hard earned money?

I learned a lot from Ellie Kay. She has written several humorous books on the subject. I also watch the adds and stock up. My Mom and Grandma both save their coupon inserts for me, and I swing by their houses (they live four blocks apart, one mile from where I work) and peruse them on a lunch hour once every week or so.

I am a single Mom, so every penny counts.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  8:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I coupon like crazy! Lat time I saved 38% on my grocery bill. Sometimes I do better, sometimes worse. It all depends on the sales and the coupons. We have alot of grocery stores around here and most double up to 50 cents. I favor one - Weis. They have the best deals. I also go to BJ's Wholesale Club for meatballs, cat food, and ceareals. Every little penny saved counts!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  04:58:45 AM  Show Profile
It is hard to believe that people don't watch to see what the loss leaders are at a store, and then buy them if it's possible to structure some meals around them. Having a freezer really helps a lot! There's no need to eat chicken breast every night, just buy a bunch and save for later. Prices have really gone up so it only makes sense to do that...but I think lots of people don't have any kind of plan and just wander around the store. At very least I look over the weekly sales flyers carefully before I go...and having an ALDI a few minutes away helps a ton, too! :-)

The other thing I do a lot is make two of something if it is something that will freeze nicely. Can't tell you how many times that has saved my tush when the day has run a bit (or a lot) out of control and time has run out, but I need a meal on the table. Not a lot harder to make two instead of one, and uses up whatever was cheap at the store that week...

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

Edited by - nashbabe on Sep 23 2007 05:06:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  05:49:56 AM  Show Profile
WOW Ronna! That's sad about the lady with the septic. My parents also adopt and have bio kids. (17 all together) Living at home is a total of 9 they only have to have the septic pumped at most once a year, but usually around every 2 to 3 years.
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  12:04:38 PM  Show Profile
LOL Everybody seems to feel this was normal, but I didn't learn such a thing from my mom. I'm 28 and have only just started to do this in the past month. I kind of intended to last winter, but got busy, and finally this fall have started watching the sales, buying my meat in bulk when it's on sale & freezing portions for individual dinners, and buying other things as they come up on sale & stocking up. Not all of our mom's taught us this nifty skill, unfortunately. And with the price of food these days it's a good thing to know. And I'm amazed at how stress-relieving it is to plan a weekly menu & stick to it for grocery shopping & cooking.

Clipping coupons is not something I do as a rule, though, because it's just not worthwhile in my town when the only coupons the circulars have are for products I don't use regularly. And with only a couple of grocery stores in town, and only one in my small suburb-town.... I just shop at the one closest to home, buy what's on sale weekly, using my club-card, and send the hubby to the bulk-store for things like toilet-paper & dog food as needed.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  12:22:08 PM  Show Profile
I echo Tamara

Isn't saving something every mom passes on to daughters???

Sometimes if the budget is especially tight, I'll just take cash and what I buy is rounded to the closest dollar. I tabulate on a piece of paper. That way at checkout I already have a rough estimate and walk away with some cash still in hand. Got into this habit while really scrimping in college. Amazing how I could make 500.00 last nearly 2 semesters! (This was over 10 years ago -so inflation wasn't near as bad.....that and you learn that generic is ok too)

Same allpies for clothes shopping. There's no shame in thrift stores. I still have a silk skirt that was only 7.00 from 15 years back! It's one of those items of clothing that is timeless, and goes with everything.

That's something every mom should pass along too. Buy clothing for quality and something that can be worn years from now that won't date itself.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  2:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I used to tell everyone when I was a child that my mom would never buy anything unless it was on sale, like that was a bad thing. lol I thought she was the cheapest person on earth. It wasn't until I read The Tightwad Gazette books and saw that everything Amy mentioned in those books my mom already did, and more.

I try to garden as much as possible and can up things for winter. I never turn down things people want to give me such as buckets full of apples or whatknot. I try to shop the sales adds, it's amazing what stores will practically give away just to get you inside their door. We eat simply as I do not trust the mass market food supply, for example it floors me the size that chicken breasts are these days. We always raised and butchered chickens when I was a kid and I never remember the breasts being the size they are today....ugh growth hormones. I try to always have a pantry stocked with the basics. When all else fails, I can always put together this or that just from the pantry.

It amazes me when I am in the grocery store and I look what people buy...they will fill their carts full of premade box dinners, juice boxes, soda pop, snacks etc. I'm like, where is the real food at???? It makes me feel really good to know that I have gotten the best deals and shopped wisely.

[size=1]Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  6:49:04 PM  Show Profile
My mom passed away when I was young, so I didn't learn from her, but I do know how to squeeze a dollar! There were a lot of things I had to learn by reading or by experience.

One book I got many years ago was "7 steps to rock-bottom food costs : a guide to kitchen economy
by Sally Sherwin"

It discusses a lot of different strategies such as buying in season, buying the loss leaders, using coupons (but only for things you need) and rebates, and so on.

It is a good book and I keep it on my bookshelf and pull it out occasionally.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by corporatefarmgirl

Great job Amanda Over the years I have realized that a lot of what we might consider "common farmgirl sence" just doesn't apply to everyone. I plan bi weekly menues based on sales and stock up on items. A lot of times friends of mine are amazed at my grocery savings. I have a budgeted amount that I can spend for groceries. There is enough budget to allow for some stock up items. Frugal and farmgirl just seem to go together.

there is a seed to plant in every heart

We get store ads with the local paper, and I plan my menus after reading them.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I try to have a general plan of what I want to prepare when I go to the store, but I certainly am willing to change that depending on what is on sale at the store. It really amazes me how many people just grab the "normal" off the shelves and don't even look at the prices.

Another thing that suprises me is how many people just don't know how to prepare raw foods any more. Most people when confronted with a raw green bean and a can of green beans will reach for the canned version. They just don't know how to deal with the unprepared stuff.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

Yes. This is definitely true. And it's so sad to see these people try to tighten their belt budget wise and all they can think to eat that's inexpensive is generic pancake mix and mac & cheese from a box.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  08:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, there is so much stuff at the store that isn't really food...

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:48:26 AM  Show Profile
My MIL and I have a great coupon exchange going on...I know what she likes to eat, and she knows what we like to eat, so we always swap coupons with each other.
I completely agree with you too, Alee, that people just always reach for the same old thing without even looking at the price. If I need to buy butter, I will *always* look and see which brand of butter is on sale that week and buy that one. I gave up being loyal to only one brand a long time ago, because you can always find a good deal.
We always eat what's in season (oodles of tomatoes right now!) and if chicken is on sale this week, then guess what? We're eating chicken. We never really run into a "rut" of eating the same thing, because the sales always change. Really, I just don't get how people are amazed by frugal shopping...

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Some people just are not taught. We live in a society with boundless choices and in general have not had the hardships of eras in the past. Many just don't think about resources and treading lightly on the earth - not because they are selfish, but because it's just not something mainstream talks about. And let's face it - because it's not politically correct to have home ec classes anymore frugal shopping and cooking have gone by the wayside.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:14:31 AM  Show Profile
I am brand-loyal to a few things: ketchup, mayonnaise (only Duke's... to the point of having it brought in when we lived in a place that didn't carry it), but I am willing to try most things, especially with the coupons I use. I've tried so many things that I wouldn't have before, because I can get the items for 50-75 percent off, depending on the coupons and the sales.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Carolinagirl--
We were just in Kinnakeet, NC and had Duke's light mayo and their yellow mustard...I must admit, they were better than the other's I've had here at home!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- I've never found anything as good as Duke's, and it's hard to get outside of the South. It's even hard to get it some places in the South (when we were in Ten., we had family bring it to us because the chain stores didn't carry it). We are hardcore Duke's people, though, because we've tried the light and can tell the difference between it and the regular. :) Get some, if you can find it in KY, and try it in your cooking. It's all I use. * off my Duke's soapbox* :)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic At the grocery store Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page