Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Needle tatting edging patterns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Needle tatting edging patterns? Next Topic  

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  1:54:12 PM  Show Profile
I am new to needle tatting and I am havng trouble with patterns.
Can you use the same patterns as shuttle tatting?

I am having trouble figuring out the shuttle thing but I want to do edgings. Any help would sure be appreciated!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  2:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine is the expert on tatting~have you been to her blog?

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/Blog
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile
On my way-Tks!

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

katy
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Katy
La Crosse WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile

“Hi,” I'm here to hopefully help. I'm totally new to this forum but I've been needle tatting for quite awhile. To answer your question, “yes” shuttle patterns are the same as needle tatting patterns, only you disregard the number of shuttles used. I think you are probably just starting out with too difficult of a pattern. A good edging to begin with is one that is either made up of just chains ( for example: Ch. 4ds, 1p, 4ds, 1p, 4ds,) or one ring and one chain repeated (R. 4ds, p, 4ds, p, 4ds, p, 4ds, cl. Followed by Ch. 4ds, p, 4ds, p, 4ds, repeat from “R” until desired length). Hope that helps!!! :) If you have any other specific questions I'd be glad to (try) and answer them.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  2:28:33 PM  Show Profile
OH goody!! Finally a real person to ask. I keep getting on sites that are beyond me- they assume I know what it all means.
I have accomplished a fairly good chain(one ring followed by another?)
I just wanted a simple edging for baby socks - is the one you noted appropriate? If so do I just make the chain and then attatch it or do I do it on the sock somehow?
Tks so much Katy!!!

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  8:04:31 PM  Show Profile
This is my first project- dont laugh-
I cant get the other edgings at all-I'm stuck about understanding the pattern-when to make a ring-when to make a chain....
Maybe I am too tired today-tomorrow maybe.
Katy-Ill be back & armed with questions!!
Sunshine- if your out there -I'll be listening for advice!
Night!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  8:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I think they are so cute! I can't do that. Great job for 1st time!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  8:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
looks lovely what questions do you have I have a few patterns on my site if you need them translated to a simple pattern I can do that for you. If you see 3 picot term four on my blog or any thing with the word "term" in means it is a steady repeat the above means you have 3 picot total with 4 double stitches before and after each picot. so 4ds, 1 p, 4ds, 1p, 4ds, 1p, 4s close ring. Here is the link to my blog that has the tatting patterns in it. Mine are shuttle tatted but any tatting pattern can be used for needle tatting, shuttle tatting or hook tatting. Just email me if you have a question I am still fighting a pretty bad fever but will help where I can.
http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/search/label/free%20patterns%20tatting
My first project was needle tatted a baby bonnet for halloween if you want to see it go to the link below
http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/2007/05/flower-fairies.html
just a link to all the tatting on my blog link below
http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/search/label/tatting

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 22 2007 8:46:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  04:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine,
Hope you feel better soon. An idea what's causing the fever?

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  06:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
nope but it has given lots of fever blisters on my lower lip which is quiet painful and very ugly to say the least

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  07:34:15 AM  Show Profile
Tks so much girls!
Sunshine-I'll catch up with you when the fever is gone. You need rest.
I am so cranky when I get the tiniest fever blister- really cranky.
Take care of yourself.
I am on the run but have several questions- later today perhaps?
Thanks Tammy, also
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

katy
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Katy
La Crosse WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Autumn,

I think my last posting was a little confusing (at least it was to me when I went back and read it!), so let me try and explain my terminology a little then I will try to answer your question. :) You probably know all of this already, but here it is.

Chains (Ch.) are made by sliding the thread off of the needle and tightening it into an arch shape, but “not”a complete circle. At which point a small knot is placed at the base of the arch (a.k.a. chain) to keep it from losing its shape.

Rings (R.) are formed by sliding the thread off of the needle, passing the needle through the thread loop at the end of the needle, and then tightening the tension until it forms a circle. A knot is then placed at the top of the circle to secure it. This process is what is known as “closing” or “closing a ring.”

Rings and chains can be used by themselves or together in combination. To form a ring, chain, ring pattern all you have to do is make a ring, then turn it over to the backside and start a chain on the thread coming from the ring's top. Once the chain is completed simply turn the whole thing back over, so that the ring is on the left side, and start your next ring on the thread coming from the base of the chain.

Attaching edging to fabric is usually done by hand stitching the tatting onto the item after it is completed. I don't like to do that, though, it's too much extra work. :) With needle tatting what I do is, while I'm tatting, simply stick the tatting needle through the fabric (as if I was taking a small stitch in the edge) where I want it to be attached. Either way of attaching works well, so just do whatever you find easer.

My suggestion for a tatting pattern to try, if you want basic yet pretty, is an edging of just chains. A pattern that you could use would be: Ch. 5ds,1p, 5ds, 1p, 5ds, 1p, 5ds.
If that one is too basic you could do the ring chain combination of:
R. 5ds,1p, 5ds, 1p, 5ds, 1p, 5ds, close ring.
Ch. 5ds,1p, 5ds, 1p, 5ds, 1p, 5ds. Repeat from “R”.
Depending on your thread thickness you may want to increase or reduce the number of double stitches (ds.) used.

I hope all this isn't too confusing?! It is clear to me, but I'm not sure how it sounds in writing. Happy tatting :)
Go to Top of Page

katy
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Katy
La Crosse WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  09:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Autumn,

I just saw your tatting photo, “WOW!” You are really good!!! I don't think you need any help, it looks like you are an expert already.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  2:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much! I understand the difference between chain and ring! Amazing how simple but what a difference it makes !
Thanks again!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Needle tatting edging patterns? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page