Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 Would you ever consider a children's book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic Would you ever consider a children's book? Next Topic  

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile
That was my question at the Women in Business and Leadership Conference last night. We didn't have enough time for them to get to that one, which is ok. I know where to go to ask anyway!

I was thinking that so many (most) of our kids are so inundated with junk food and junk entertainment that it would be really cool if you did a book for them teaching them the virtues(?) of healthful living, giving them ideas to spend their time more productively or at least playing without the tv and music. How to make themselves something to eat that they would love and would be good for them and easy for them (kids especially are into instant gratification). Easy sewing projects and gardening projects or any other project that you might think of that kids would have to take time to do and have something useful for their efforts when they're done.

I thought it would be great to reach out to our young ones and try to teach them before they get older and change becomes more difficult. What do you think?

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I still think that Nancy Jo should write a book about Jack and Dave. ;)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I think that's a great idea Lisa. So many children now are overweight, stuck on tv, computers and video games. My 4th child (he's 6) is overweight. He is the only one out of 5 and we are teaching him healthier eating habits. We also encourage him to go out and play everyday. He seems not to mind and he even helps in the kitchen a little now. It would be wonderful to have a book on teaching children how to live healthier with easy to assemble recipes that don't require trips to 10 stores for ingredients. I love the idea!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  10:43:27 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea too! I would love to write and illustrate a children's book someday!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
We're working on our third book now, which will be published in the spring. It's called "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild." It's all about being outdoors - from right outside your back door to out in the wild. And you'll be glad to know that there will be lots of information and ideas for kids - everything from building a backyard lean-to and rope swing to gearing them up and keeping them busy and safe on camping trips. We think you'll love it!

Farmgirl plowin' thru!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  3:31:41 PM  Show Profile
I have been toying with the idea of writing children's books for awhile now. I love to draw, but don't have a lot of talent. I have always been a good writer. My mom still has my first book I wrote about Easter for a special class. It's bound and hardcover and everything. I love photography, so I have thought about taking pictures to go along with my stories. My boys could also star. I just wouldn't know where to turn to try and get it published.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  8:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Heather,

There are alot of publishing companies out there. One is Xlibris. The only problem with trying to get a book published is that it is costly. Do a search on publishing children's books. There is also a great book that I have that is called "How to write children's books and get them published". Good luck.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Carol, you gals have thought of everything! Julie and Heather, if that's your dream...go for it! Our kids need all the encouragement they can get. Maybe you could start a new fad with your children's books that would snowball into a great movement for our kids. Mine are all grown, except one who is almost grown. Trying to change them now has been like butting my head against a brick wall. But I keep working on them...

But I see all of our kids here in town and at the school who are overweight, don't play sports, eat all kinds of garbage and live to either sit in front of video games or television. I'm not impressed with the schools offerings for lunch or breakfast either. Our whole society is fixed on fast food or overprocessed food. Everything seems to be "gimme now". I wish I could figure out a way to change it. I feel it's really sad what people are doing to themselves. Our society needs big change before EVERYBODY ends up with serious or chronic illnesses and slaves to the pharmaceutical (spelling?) companies.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:38:43 AM  Show Profile
I say go for it. I write for children and am published in the children's arena. It is a tough road to follow, but please do it and follow your dreams.

Keep in mind though that there are alot of wolves in sheep's clothing in the publishing industry. You should not have to pay anything to be published, unless you are going to self publish. Start out by going to some very great and reputable children's writing sites. Lots of how tos and very helpful published authors out there. Here are two great sites:

www.write4kids.com
www.verlakay.com

Also consider joining the SCBWI (the Society for Children's Writers and Illustrators) They have branches across the US and have conferences.

Good luck and a stick to it attitude will take you far in the world of children's writing!!

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://thefabricho.blogspot.com/
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:39:03 AM  Show Profile
ANICE,
Nice idea but I think Jack and Dave eat way to many sweets.
NANCY GARTENMAN

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  07:00:17 AM  Show Profile
i adore children's books .. i bought two wonderfully 'gentle' children's books yesterday .. there really are fantastic books on the market .. just takes asking questions and looking .. looking .. looking. i honestly come across most of mine 'serendipitiously' .. they just seem to 'appear' .. i think it is a 'gut-reaction' thingie. i will see a cover or read a few words ..and i know the books is destined to be mine.

yes!!! write! write! write! and especially write for those you love. (leave a loving legacy for your own children and grandchildren). xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  07:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Here Here!!!!! I really agree with this, Lisa Marie--
I would love for my niece, Ava, who already shows a wonderful respect for all living creatures (even SNAKES ), to learn more about our environment, living responsibly and caring for each other--maintaining humanity that we seem to have lost some where along our busy, greedy paths. Out of the mouths of babes, they say!

I see in this little girl, a beacon, and I'd love to share with her Mary Jane's ideas and ways of life--in the form of a children's book. She doesn't have to grow to be a farmer, she just has the huge responsiblity of taking care of our planet, and our depleting resources--being a steward of kindness and love, in an increasingly cruel world.

I've learned so much from Mary Jane, and from this forum--I'd like to give her a head start!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  08:36:09 AM  Show Profile
What a coincidence. I just emailed MaryJane last week about doing a series on the traveling dolls and their adventures. That would make a great children's series. We are thinking alike!

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 25 2007 08:37:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Would you ever consider a children's book? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page