Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Oregon! Next Topic  

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile
My name is Carla and my family and I live on 5 acres in beautiful Oregon. We have a jersey milk cow named Teensie Weensie who just had a cute bull calf on Monday, which we named Max. Here's a picture of Max with our youngest son, Cameron. Max is just a few hours old here.

We also have two Duroc/Yorkshire pigs.."Barbie" & "Q" (get it? ) , 12 laying hens, 1 rooster and another calf (not from Teensie) that we are raising for the freezer...his name is Dobby.

I enjoy sewing, knitting, gardening, cooking and all in all just living the farm life. I am a city transplant and if someone told me 5 yrs ago that I would be where I am today, I would have never believed them. Sometimes things just fall into place and you never knew you needed/wanted it until it was there.

My Mom came across the MJF magazine and passed it on to me. I'm glad she did! I'd love to start a little Farm Girl group in my neck of the woods.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Carla! I *know* you'll love it here. Ohhh, but that is a CUTE calf you've got there!! I had a few Jerseys when I was a kid, and they were the sweetest things! I love your pigs names, too. We had a similar sense of practicality when I was little...the bull calf that our Marigold had was named Dinner. Heh. (She also had a daughter named Emily, who later had a daughter named Betsy...I miss our cows!!)

Cameron's as cute as a bug with his new friend, too!
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  12:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather. My family is originally from Il. I'm sure it's as hot & humid as ever there this time of year.

I guess in my intro I could have explained the my log in name too. Although I have wonderful Muck books to work in, I just can't give up my birkenstocks! Hence...Flip Flop Farmer!

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Edited by - FlipFlopFarmer on Jul 31 2005 12:17:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  05:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Carla, welcome to to the group!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  07:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carla! What an adorable calf and son!!!
I am partial to Birks myself!! I am glad you are here!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  08:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carla! You are one of the first to post a photo right into your message. That is great! How did you do that?

You sound like one of the true blue Farmgirls here and I hope you keep sharing your wonderful farm life with us. We are all kindred spirits.

By the way, I was born in Illinois, too!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  08:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carla! Welcome! I am new her as well and live just across the river from you in Battle Ground, Wa. We have always lived in town as well and moved to the country two years ago. We have only had property for about 6 mos. though. Your little boy is so cute and I bet he thinks that calf is pretty special. Isn't it a joy and a blessing to be able to experience this way of living?!

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  09:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carla! Welcome. I lived in Oregon for 5 years (St.Helens) and miss the coolness of the pacific northwest. Also miss the ocean, ahhh the ocean! Glad you're here with us! Luzy
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:59:51 AM  Show Profile
WOW! What an AWESOME Welcome! Thanks everyone!

jpbluesky:
To insert an image into your msg, click on the image button in the format section. It looks like a little yellow picture of a mountain & sun. In between the brackets insert the link to the photo. I use photbucket to post my photos. There is a URL that you can copy and paste right between the two "" brackets.

Here are a few more pics for you.....

This is me & my friend Debbie that moved to NE. I'm the one on the right.

Here's one of our family cow Teensie. I accidently left the gate open from her pasture to the backyard and she came to say Hello while I was doing dishes.

Here's another one of Cameron & Teensie. It's a little old but way cute! We had some friends over and they jokinly asked him if he knew how to milk the cow.....so he bent down and showed them how it's done!

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone! I'm glad I found this site!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Laura K
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Laura
Portland Oregon
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  12:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carla. I'm new myself, and live in SE Portland with my husband and baby. I'm very familiar with Molalla, having recently worked for Clackamas County. If you start a chapter, we should talk...Isn't this fun? Laura
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to find out how to start one and see what it's all about. Who knows....maybe there's one near us already.

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  6:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carla -- welcome! I'm so glad to see more people joining from our area. I know what a Duroc is. When I lived in IL I used to work for the Duroc Swine Registry -- nice red pigs! Max and Cameron are both adorable!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  6:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Carla!!
loved the pics!!!!!!Very Cool!!Im hoping some of us (myself included) can figure out how to put pics in. Thanks for the instructions, ,cant wait to try it.Thanks for being the first to inspire!! You will love it here. Just a big ol' farmgirl family!!Have fun!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carla!!! Love those pics! Good farm livin! Your son is a doll! You have a great menagerie of animals and poultry! Look forward to hearing more about your life on the farm and all your activities! Jenny from Kansas

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 01 2005 7:37:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carla, thanks for the info on pictures. I'm going to try:
[http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/quiltedess/8d194983.jpg]
If there's a picture here, it is the front of my house.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  09:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm . . . it didn't work, but the link works. Carla, can you tell what I did wrong?
Thanks,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Did you insert that link between to two IMG brackets that it places when you click on the little yellow box above that has the picture of the mountains on it?

Example.....when you click on insert image button it puts in two brackets. Copy and paste your URL between the two brackets.

That's a beautiful house!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,
Can I have your house?

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  12:18:16 PM  Show Profile
OK, I'm inserting the link in a different spot now. If there's a picture, it is of my new "lot". I am selling my house soon. We have lived in it for 27 years, most of that time it was being remodeled. The house was originally built in 1937. My current house is in western WA, lots of trees and green, green, green. But my back yard is open and sunny, there are 3-1/2 acres. My future home is in eastern WA. See the difference? My cousin had just cut the grass hay in this picture (taken on Sunday). There are 10 acres. We hope to build within 3 years or so.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  12:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Nope, now all I see is a red x. Hmmmm . . . trying again . . .

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  12:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Woo-hoo!!! BTW, the houses you see in the picture belong to the neighbors.
This was a 160 acre farm that was divided into 10 acre parcels. The farm I grew up on was right next to this one, you can barely see it in the background. My dad farmed all this years ago, and now my cousins farm it.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Oregon! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page