Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Chantalenes ( I think that is how you spell it)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Chantalenes ( I think that is how you spell it) Next Topic  

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  8:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember seeing their mom or g'ma wear one of these around their neck as they were doing their handwork? It held a thimble, scissors, pins, and needles, and even glasses. They usually were crocheted. I would love to get instructions to make one for myself. I am in the prosses of making some out of ribbon and felt and even going to try to recycle one from an old shirt using the button/buttonhole plackets,still attatched to the collar. But a crocheted one would be nice. Any help out there? Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  10:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Chatelaines were worn by the head housekeeper or mistress of the house and were usually silver with many things attached, small mother of pearl notebook and pencil , scissors, key fob, etc. The more things on them the more important the wearer supposedly. They were made by fine jewelers so they were not everyday items in other than well to do homes. They are very collectible these days and fetch astronomical sums for the oldest type. As the industrial age took hold there were more readily available types and some were specifically for sewing. There is a company that makes reproductions of old sewing supplies and I know that mine was ordered there. I will post the site if it is still in business. I also got a sewing bird from this company. Hope that helps with the mystery!

Okey dokey, that was easy! www. victorian cottagetreasures.com but here is the best part...If you type in a search for Reproduction chatelaines you will get 64 items to investigate and there are multiple crochet chatelaines listed and there is a free 1902 pattern! Have fun searching for the one you remember, glad I could help!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jul 30 2005 10:20:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  11:01:12 PM  Show Profile
years ago I used to work (part time for about 4 years) at an adorable little kitchen shop called "Chatelaine". I had to explain 8,000 times a day what a chatelaine was....and I described it almost exactly as bramble said. Good memories there!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  05:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Oh my! As if I can't get myself into enough trouble on my own. Now I'll be on the internet searching for Chatelaines and Bramble had to even give us the search string to use! Yesterday I found out that my small city has a brand new super store Joanne's. I was like a child in a candy store and felt a little bit like I'd fallen into a fantasy Island. I managed to not buy any fabric but it was very very difficult but I did find some soft soft yarn marked way down and then 50% off that. Love those bargains!!!

Kathy in New York
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile
I collect old and reproduction needlework tools. I have a silver Chatelaine, a beautiful reproduction that I got through a company called Anne Powell, Ltd.

I found this online: www.annepowellltd.com

She has a business out of Celebration, Florida, and used to exhibit at the needlework shows where we exhibited. Her site is closed for renovation but you can see a photo of a chatelaine on the home page, and also get contact info.

She also carried all kinds of antique and reproduction pieces - scissors, needlecases, thimbles and sewing birds sold separately. Chatelaines can be made of many things other than silver or metal. I have seen them made from ribbon and cloth. Bramble explained them perfectly, and later, well-to-do Victorian women took to wearing them attached to their waists and also carried their needlework linen along so they could take out their handwork at any time. It was a sign of a leisure lifestyle.

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 31 2005 08:26:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Awww, I want to have a leisure lifestyle! I'm pretty sure I've heard of Anne Powell...it sounds familiar anyway.

I love the silver chatelaines...I'm really fond of perusing antique stores, so hopefully I'll come across one someday.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bramble so much! Thanks too,Jpbluesky for the wed site. It saves me a step. I can't tell you how many ways my mom and I have tried to spell chatelaines.
Last night I took a buttton down shirt, cut the body of the shirt away from the collar and plackets. I made a holder for my thimble, made a pin cushion out of felt, and stiched it on using the blanket stich, backed one of the button holes with felt to put my scissors, and sewed a plastic curtian ring to hook my glasses to. For a first attempt it looks pretty cute. I used a childs shirt and the length of the plackets are perfect. I think I want to add some fun embellishments to it. Can't wait to make some for friends and family.
Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I had seen quilting patterns for chatelaines but when Bramble mentioned a crocheted one I got a certain picture in my mind. So I did the web search a couple of times and didn't find what I was looking for so now of course my fertile brain is thinking that I can probably make a pattern for one. Of course, yesterday I went on the shopping spree so I have lots of ideas for Mary Engelbreit projects to do in my garage which needs cleaning, painting and reorganizing, which of course lead to the purchase of a couple more of her books on the internet this morning. Did I mention that I found a Tatting shuttle yesterday and that I'm going to try once again to teach myself to tat. Oh and I haven't said anything about the Puppy Belgian Sheepdog coming in January or the young Australian Shepherd that I really need to work with. MMMM Is there a forum with time management tips???

But having said that I am enjoying the "company" of the women on this web site so much and my creativity has been sparked by all of you!! Thank you so much.

Kathy in New York (not the city)

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  8:12:58 PM  Show Profile
I took my shirt collar chatelaine to church last night. It was a hit! I was surprised at how many of the older ladies didn't know what it was. Thanks to Bramble I was able to give them the back ground.
I bought an apron pattern at the 2nd hand store yesterday. Not real old but 4 different styles. Can't wait! Simply,Julia

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Julia - I love your shirt collar chatelaine idea! Now that is a new and different!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  9:37:05 PM  Show Profile
jpbluesky, It was fun and quick to do. Having the button holes already there made having a place for the scissors a snap! I embellished it with some of my husband's grandmother's buttons. They are all different sizes, and colors. It looks cute! Simply,Julia

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Chantalenes ( I think that is how you spell it) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page