Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fav Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting Reference books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fav Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting Reference books Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Thought I'd start this topic where we can list books that have been especially helpful as a reference while learning or brushing up on these skills.

In the Crochet thread, Anna from the Farm mentioned The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches from Reader's Digest as being especially helpful to her; as well as another book called Simple Crochet by Erika Knight. The pictures are really clear and were easy to understand for her.

I have a similar book that I received from my mother entitled: Complete Illustrated Library of Needlecraft (features knitting, crochet, hook arts, embroidery, needlepoint, rug making, macrame, sewing, patchwork and applique! wow). My copy is a yellowing/aging paperback 8 x 10 size, published in Canada with a copyright date of: MCMLXXV (maybe someone out there can translate that date for me!) This has great instructive pictures too.

Today while browsing the thrift shop I was very happy to find a hardcover, color photoed book by Reader's Digest called the Complete Guide to Sewing, copyrighted 1976. Bargain priced at $1.00!! It's a wonderfully complete book that I'm sure I can still learn from, and pass it down to my daughter. (This book is 2 years older than my daughter! yikes!)

I also have the newer book Stitch 'n' B**ch, which has some good instruction too.

So, girls, what reference books have you found helpful? Please share!

Update 7/23: Just returned from a yard sale and picked up another Reader's Digest Sewing book, a later edition of 1978- my daughter's birth year, so I guess I'll keep book # 1 and give book # 2 to her!! Isn't it funny how synchronistic these things can be??!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 23 2005 11:32:07 AM

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  7:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Kay, in my recent purchase (RD sewing), there's a full page on making bias tape. If you want, I can scan it to you on Monday.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  9:28:47 PM  Show Profile
I love the Stitch n B**ch books and have them both. Some of the patterns are not things i would ever ever make..but the instruction is so well done! I usually keep things pretty basic with knitting and love to read about technique so I go over and over things if I am doing something unfamiliar. I love the Cottage Creations knitting pattern books too, and have quite a few of them. I have a hard time resisting books. I got one called Knitter's STash recently that I really like too.It has patterns that are favorites of yarn shop owners.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  11:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Clare -- that would be great!!! Thanks so much. I know there is a section in MJ's book (which I haven't gotten yet) and Missy has one so I'll make a copy of that too.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  10:05:23 AM  Show Profile
For knitting--The Knitting Experience:Book 1-The Knit Stitch and Book 2-The Purl Stitch both by Sally Melville. Good information, nice projects, great pictures. Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman.

I'll get back to you on the other books. I have a million quilt books. Looking for anything??

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh, any of the Donna Kooler's Encyclopedias!! I have her encyclopedia of crochet & of needlework, and I LOVE them! Excellent photography & illustrations, very detailed explanations, and several classy projects to try. I really want her encyclopedia of knitting next, but money's tight right now. Someday, though! :D

Also, I really love Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches. It's basically an exact reprint of the book that Mary Thomas wrote in the early 30's. I don't own that one yet either (just fell in love with it via my much-adored library), but someday I'll get my grubby little paws on a copy of my own! :D
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  5:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I stopped at our used bookstore today and found two "new" gems for my library. I don't go there too often because books are pricier than thrift stores (1/4 of the original cost), but - hey- if I'm looking for something specific, sometimes it's worth it.

Today's finds are both SUPER!

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework from 1977- covers everything: embroidery, needlepoint, knitting, applique, quilting, patchwork, macrame, crochet, RUG-MAKING (both hooked and braided - I need the braided primer), and lacework which includes tatting!

Practical Needlework from 1980 covers patterns, equipment, family dressmaking, fabrics, home sewing (slipcovers!), embroidery and needlecrafts.

Both of these have excellent step by step diagrams. I think I might actually get beyond knitting just dishcloths with these instructions!

I feel really blessed and rich that this knowledge, much of which I know, but a good bit that I did not learn growing up, it's all right at my fingertips now!

I encourage those of you who are interested in learning some of these skills to haunt the thrift stores, yard sales and used book stores, because that's where these volumes show up. Know why? Because the original owners who are now in their 60-80's have given them up; apparently not having anyone in their families that were interested in keeping up these skills.

Carry the torch, girls!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fav Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting Reference books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page