Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 No more embroidrey thread at Walmart?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic No more embroidrey thread at Walmart? Next Topic
Page: of 2

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  12:34:58 PM  Show Profile
I just found out that my Walmart will no longer carry embroidrey thread? Being such a small town, they were the only outlet for it, I have no idea where I can get it now? Is anyone else finding their Walmart is not carrying it any longer too? Walmart is really going down hill fast! I'm so bummed!!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  12:42:44 PM  Show Profile
I used to go to a Walmart in the mountains that had a fabulous fabric section.
They recently remodeled into a Super Walmart and the fabrics area was downsized to almost nada!!
I was horrified. They spoiled all my fun~I was bummed as well!

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group
http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/Blog
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile
My friend works in the fabric department at the local walmart and she said that absolutely they are going to eliminate yardage and cut back on crafts. she said that they may carry some "pre-cut lengths of yardage" like 2 yard cuts, etc. I've never been a walmart fan and this just shows one more example of how they are not in business to serve their customers - all they care about is their bottom line.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Most of the WalMarts have taken out their fabric and craft departments and are offering only a smaller "party supply" section. Ours has prepackaged fabrics (themed) a few hideous dog and cat scrapbooking items and that's about it. Pitiful. In fact, I never go in WalMart anymore because they have taken out the one thing I could count on- sewing supplies. Whoever though of that one...well, I'm not happy with them. :(

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:35:12 PM  Show Profile
If you race over to the west coast quickly, there are still a few fabric departments left, but not for long. And you're right - what they do have has gotten pitiful.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Sue,
I order mine sometimes from the HERRSCHNERS catalog. I have gotten their catalog for years. Its all needlework stuff. They have it in there. You can google it.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  2:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Yeah it's marked down to 10 cents, I've been stocking up.

However, I've been introduced to sulky thread, I may start buying it. The only thing is......I can't find it sold in Kansas! lol haha
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  3:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Our closest Walmart (7 miles north) still has a fabric dept..but it is slowly shrinking. They do still have several aisles of craft supplies though, including embroidery floss. They are our only source within an hour so I hope it dosn't go away here either. FAbric we can buy at a local quilt shop, for alot more, but not craft supplies. I count on their craft section for stuff for cubscouts and like that.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  3:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
What is marked down to 10 cents? Did I miss a post? The walmart near here still has sewing and embroidery and fabric supplies but the lady there told me it will be done away with eventually. I was just thinking today how that one doesn't really have anything anymore. My closest fabric place when they close out will be Joanns and that is an hour away from here. Guess I'll just have to hit their sales when they have them and stock up since my trips won't be that often. Not with gas still high like it is.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  3:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it too bad that Walmart replaced so many mom and pop 5-and-dime stores -- the kind of places that carried embroidery threads, etc.? And now they're cutting back in those very areas.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  4:31:40 PM  Show Profile
my sister just now sent her husband there like 30 mins ago and he called and said this was the last of it forever that he picked up!
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  4:56:41 PM  Show Profile
I used to be such a Wal Mart snob! Would never ever go in there! But I just discovered ours has a nice craft and fabric section! You can get fabric for a dollar or two a yard!!!!!! The ladies that work there are nice too! (A bit clueless- I asked the gal working in the fabric section where the "rick rack" was and she didn't know what it was!!! I showed her myself and we both had a good chuckle!!!)
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I agree that a lot of the people that work at Walmart are nice and that is precisely one of the reasons I won't shop there. Walmart's corporate policies are disrespectful to their employees and other small businesses. I'm not sure if it is still there, but a couple of years ago, in their employee manual, it explained how to apply for public assistance for medical benefits, because they did not provide medical insurance for their employees and they did not pay enough for the employees to feel like they could seek medical care when they need it. Don't get me started - I could write a book!! Someone once tried to argue to me that they were good for the community because they put people to work - what they neglected to consider was that these people were out of work because walmart had come to town and put several other local business out of business. I know this from personal experience - my husband and I used to be part owners of a large local business that Walmart preyed on - just as we were recovering from a devastating flood in which we lost millions of dollars worth of inventory. When our business finally failed (after almost 50 years in business), the employees that went to work at Walmart made about 60% of their former pay and lost all their medical, vision, and dental benefits because they were not hired as full time. That was really "good" for the community.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  5:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
I too have heard about the way they "promote" getting on assistance. Of course it's "good" for the community. Right who do they think is paying the taxes to provide that assistance. It sure isn't walmart.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile
The embroidery thread is going away at all the walmarts. And the DMC thread is marked down to 10 cents.

Go and find out out for yourself. I heard on another embroidery group and didn't think mine were doing that. Because there was nothing posted, not even the 10 cent price change! But, when I asked for a price check sure enough marked down to 10 cents. And that was all the walmarts in my area!

They are keeping it pretty quiet though!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 14 2007 6:15:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  6:23:54 PM  Show Profile
My walmart just got rid of the FAbric dept. The first thing they did was eliminate the floss. That is what prompted me to ask about the fate of the fabric. The answer wasn't good and now it is all gone. Fortuanatly we had a SMALL hancocks in town that just bought out the space next to it and just finished an expansion and remodle!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh my!! They've all but put the small specialty shops out of business due to them offering "everything" the family could need. Now they are eliminating the basic domestic needs and wants of the people in areas that have no other option than Walmart.

It really is a shining example of "the big guy" dominating what we have available to buy.

On the flip side of the coin..maybe in some of these areas it will spur some new "small specialty" businesses to emerge again... I hope so anyway!! Let them have their "party supply section"..LOL

Women would much rather walk into a specialty shop anyway for their sewing needs. I know it would cost more but that's the price of doing business with your "next door neighbor" instead of a national chain. I like the "grassroots" approach even if it does cost a bit more.

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
I usually buy all my sewing and craft stuff at Joann's or Hobby Lobby, they are both in the same town as Walmart. I have noticed how our Walmart has about half their fabric on clearance, I assume to get rid of it. I keep meaning to pick some up, but the people always seem irritated to have to cut fabric. I'll probably just stick to Joann's. They are always friendly and remember me and my son every time we come in. Although, I must say, if I had to work for chump change at Walmart, I would probably be annoying to have to cut fabric, too. Like I once heard, Walmart makes sure their employees can't afford to shop anywhere but Walmart. I try not to go there if I can help it, but this day and age, a one income family has a tough time of it with the way gas and food prices are going. It always makes me wonder what our foremothers would think if they knew how things in the country would end up. From women fighting for the right to vote and work, to women who can't afford not to work and some that don't bother to vote.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  7:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I go to A.C. Moore for everything. Frankly, I have 4 Walmarts within a 10 mile radius here and they all stink as far as crafts are concerned. The store closet to me still has a big craft dept., but all of the affordable fabric is crap. Yarn is expensive and so is sewing stuff.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  7:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
i'll have to run over there tomorrow and check it out. Thanks for the information.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:30:07 PM  Show Profile
I still like catalog shopping for some of my craft supplies.
Companies like Herrschners & Mary Maxim have been around
for 4 decades and are good reputable companies.
Wally World(Wal-mart) is building a new store in our area, actually
in the nearby little community of Airway Heights.They have had a
Hiring sign up since July & here it is mid-sept & they are still trying
to find employees....& the store is suppose to open by Nov.
Wonder if they are being to picky or no one wants to work
for them!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Hancock's is my favorite. But, sadly I don't have one where I live. In NYC hand sewing craft and supplies isn't easy to find. I guess I will be resigned to Michael's (in my opinion pretty pricey, but it was all there was when I was growing up, so I guess I am used to that). And JoAnn's-it's pretty far away but a few hundred miles closer then Hancock's.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  10:50:03 AM  Show Profile
I checked out our Walmart today and the embroidery thread was all gone.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  1:49:58 PM  Show Profile
This is such a shame! Walmart is my only outlet here in town, the nearest one or hobby lobby or anything closly related is 2 hours away, and I don't do online shopping much, we got rid of all the credit cards when we paid them off, so this is really going to stink and I just got hooked on embroidrey too! Rats!!! My walmart does have fabric still and scrapbooking supplies so I'm safe there for the time being but such a mistake on there part esp. for us who have to rely on them!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  2:03:36 PM  Show Profile
When I worked in the needlework industry, Wal-Mart was one reason a lot of local needlework shops went out of business. Maybe this will bring some of them back again!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  2:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Sue we don't have credit cards either. BUT, we have a debit card through our bank. It is not a credit card, it's just something to use instead of a paper check. It will only use the money that is in the checking account. So it's just like using a paper check. BUT, it will work online and also for things you must hold-like hotel reservations. So you may want to look into that. I have resigned more and more of our stuff will just have to be bought online. It's so hard to find local any more!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic No more embroidrey thread at Walmart? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page