Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Getting ready to Fall plant Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Greetings from Iowa where the temperature is now near normal and a BIG relief for us.
My question is this: Anyone have any ideas, hints, experience with a fall garden or know of a good site to get info. The heat has literally pulled the garden away from me and hasn't been as productive as I need it to be. Before I haven't done much fall gardening (such as brocolli, kale, etc)as I have been in school. This year however, we are in a position of needing the veggies for winter. Help!
Thanks bunches!
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Joy, here are a couple links that might get you pointed in the right direction... probably different zones, but you can adapt. I'm thinking I need to get some greens in the ground too... My spring versions didn't do well... too hot, too fast!
Here you go:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/231441_smith07.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/234169_smith28.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  12:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare! I'll check them out right now!
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  1:16:18 PM  Show Profile
I know that my girlfriend with the market garden has seedlings getting ready to go into the ground next week if we are not too hot here. She starts her seedlings the middle of july for her fall garden. Then later she plants a winter green garden in the green house. I am thinking about planting a new crop of salad greens here this weekend and hope it is not too hot. My summer greens bolted before we got much as the weather changed so suddenly.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Getting ready to Fall plant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page