Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone ever cut shades (not fabric or vinyl)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone ever cut shades (not fabric or vinyl) Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping to put bamboo or some other natural fiber shades in the family room. We have 2 long, narrow (21") windows and I definitely want the shade to fit inside the frame, not outside. Problem is, I can't find them that small. To custom order would be $129 per window!!! The narrowest I can find costs around $12 at Lowes, so if I can figure out a way to cut them down to fit, that's what I'll do.

I was thinking of buying one and playing around with it, but thought I'd ask here first.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your Mary Kay needs!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  5:09:23 PM  Show Profile
I used to work at a Benjamin Moore paint store that also sold upholstry fabric, shades and wallpaper. WE had a machine and would custom cut blinds for people for a small charge. Cant remember how much but that was 13 years ago (holy crap, I cant believe that!) So the prices have probably changed. Look in you area for a store like this and ask if they offer this service. Who knows Lowes might even cut them. Have you asked?

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  9:54:58 PM  Show Profile
I've asked -- twice! :( Our Lowes is notorious for their employees' lack of knowledge (on more than one occasion I've head one Lowes employee tell a customer that another employee in the same department doesn't know anything!). The first time I asked, the young man in the department said he didn't know. Period. I asked if he could find out; he said he would and would call me. No such call. I called and asked for that department manager; she wasn't there and hasn't called back. I went back in a few days ago and the gal working that day said they can do vinyl but didn't know if they could do bamboo. No offer to check. Tomorrow I'll call and ask the store manager.

The closest competitor is a Home Depot about 2 hrs away -- I may end up calling them and making a trip up there.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your Mary Kay needs!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  10:11:51 PM  Show Profile
I worked in Home Dec at Home Depot and we also cut blinds. We cut the aluminum, vinyl, and straw-like ones (can;t remember what they were called), but if I remember right, we only cut them if they were purchased there.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  04:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I found that Lowes Usually has there knowledgable folks working the 9-5 type shift m-f.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone ever cut shades (not fabric or vinyl) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page