Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Looking for a movie that fits this topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for a movie that fits this topic Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  4:08:44 PM  Show Profile
I need a move (mainstream) that has something to do with the importance of being physically fit. My daughter suggested "Chariots of Fire" because of the running/athlete angle.

It doesn't have to be sports-related. I will be using it for a college class, and we'll be spending several weeks on the topics of nutrition, exercise, abstaining from "dangerous" behavior, preventing diseases/illnesses, and that sort of thing. Then they'll be setting goals & action points for themselves.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your Mary Kay needs!

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile
One movie I can think of is "Gracie" Here is a link to the movie web site http://www.graciemovie.com/

It's about a girl who has to prove to her father & her schools team to allow her to play soccer in a "man's sport". She does a lot of training to reach her goal. Not sure how much nutrition is in there. It has been awhile since I have seen it, but a few of your topics are in there. I would say rent it & see what you think.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't there a movie with Goldie Hawn as the track coach at one school and she transfers and is the coach of the football team at the other. It was a laugh roit and old enough they may not have seen it. She out runs the team to get them t6o do it her way.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  12:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patti,
I was wondering if you had seen this site before? It is pretty useful in finding movies for any topic or age group - just look up the subject and it lists movies that relate to that.
You may find it useful for other subjects too.

http://www.teachwithmovies.org/index.html

Hope this is of help.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  06:31:15 AM  Show Profile
How about G I Jane?
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  06:48:57 AM  Show Profile
This is probably not considered mainstream due to some disturbing drug and sexual content, but the 1987 movie "Less Than Zero" starring Robert Downey, Jr. is a heads-up on drug addiction, getting in with the wrong crowd, and learning that money cannot buy happiness ... I know it scared the bejeebers out of me then, and I still think about it.

Outline:
"Clay, an eighteen-year-old freshman, comes back from his first term at a college in New Hampshire to spend his Christmas vacation with his broken-up wealthy family in Los Angeles. His former girlfriend, Blair, is now involved with his ex-best-friend, Julian. She warns Clay that Julian needs help: he is using a lot of cocaine and has huge debts. What follows is a look at the youth culture of wealthy post adolescents in Beverly Hills with a strong anti-drug message."

You might need more than just one movie to cover the different topics your college students will be studying.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Its a documentary- but I loved Supersize Me! And there always Rocky!!!Who doesn't want to start running after that!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  07:33:48 AM  Show Profile
What about any movies relating to dancers? I was a ballerina, and man, did we struggle with keeping physically fit, eating healthily and trying NOT to be destructive to our bodies, both chemically and physically. There are some wonderful documentaries that are current about ballet companies, and that would be good to watch. Fine Arts, discipline and nutrition--can't beat it!!!

Turning Point is from the 70's, so kids today wouldn't get it, but MAN is it good and has a newly defected super-hot Mikhail Baryshnikov!

Ok, my personal favorite sports movie, !!!Hoosiers!!!!!

Million Dollar Baby--that girl trained and trained!

Football related: "Rudy" and "Remember the Titans"

Other Running film: The Long Run (2001). Really good uplifting movie, with an incredible cast (Armin Meuller Stahl) and others

Don't get angry, but Chariots of Fire is good because it talks about the discipline, but REALLY boring--I think your class would be pulling their hair out by its end. I know I was, and I LOVE discipline and the process!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  10:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Sorry it took me so long to post, but things have been so hectic here. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I haven't seen "Chariots of Fire" -- mainly because when it came out years & years ago and I saw the ads on TV it just didn't look that interesting to me. So when you say it's boring, I'm not at all surprised. That's the impression I got, too :) I really ought to watch it some day, though, just because.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  12:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What about "Center Stage"? That deals with dancers and nutrition issues. Or if you want to be lighthearted you could do "Zoolander" which though silly- it does talk a bit about the subculture of models and eating disorders.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for a movie that fits this topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page