Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Wanting to see a Yankees game next year
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wanting to see a Yankees game next year Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  07:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

DH is a big fan of the New York Yankees, and we are thinking about going up to see a game this year. Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to go about this, or side trips to do while we are there?

We have option to drive, fly or take the train from Washington, DC area and would probably only plan to spent one night away from home.

Thanks!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Jun 16 2008 07:25:19 AM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  07:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh...take the train! I love the train, but if you want to travel more outside the city then I guess I'd rent a car--but driving in NYC is not for the faint of heart--I'd rather take the subway, anyday and I lived there for several years.

My mom is a huge Yankeess fan (she even wears a replica Mickey Mantle jersey)...I wish I had kept the schedule I just got in the mail. Poo. You should check out their webpage--they list all the upcoming games and even travel accomodations. I guess you'd probably want to go to Cooperstown, too, huh?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Cooperstown would be a great side trip but not necessarily in the same trip. I like the idea of taking the train.

I've looked at the Yankees webpage and there is a lot of info there, but I also wanted to check with my favorite resources on the Farmgirl Connection!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  07:59:04 AM  Show Profile
If you have the ability to take the train, I think that would be such a wonderful experience for you both! I used to take the train to and fromo NYC to visit my best friend at Yale, in New Haven. Such a great way to wind down and so much better if you have a travel companion :)

I guess I would ask what kindof "side trips"...most of my stuff would be Brooklyn and inner city and if that's not your thing, then I'm not sure. I only got to Connecticut and Jersey and Maine, now and again. Most of the time was spent in Brooklyn...although the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Arboretum are completely worth it, as well as Coney Island for a dose of "culture"....I'm being slightly sarcastic there, but anything and everything goes (and I thoroughly enjoyed it) and it's a nice day at the shore--feels very 1950's and you get to see all the Russians on the boardwalk in Brighton Beach.

I would say if you venture to Coney Island, you should eat at Nathans for sure! There are some very good Sicillian restaurants, too, if you like that kindof thing. There are still a few folks from the old country who only speak Sicillian, and there are some WAY cool jump suits and gold chains (a la Goodfellas)standing around the bar areas.

Oh, also Junior's in Brooklyn...gotta eat there and take home a piece of cheesecake for breakfast. The BEST EVER.

Wouldn't you know my selections revolve around food? It's a wonder I'm not 280 lbs.!!! Wow, now I wanna go back!
http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/, and
Nathan's Famous
1310 Surf Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11224

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Jun 16 2008 08:03:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  09:41:30 AM  Show Profile
i just told lucas about you wanting to see a yankees game. he and his dad are BIG yankee fans!

they drove about 4 hours on friday to join my husband (who drove up a few hours to Cincinnati to see the Red Sox play baseball against the Cincinnati Reds (Red Sox won!)

i love hearing hank tease lucas and frankie about the Yankees .. he's always buying lucas RED SOX memorabilia!

have lots of fun on your advengture!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  10:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jo,

Uhh...I MAY have some experience with this....With gas prices being as they are, I would definitely take the train, plus, you'd get out of the HUGE headache of both driving through the city and/or finding parking spaces that are metered, or the expensive car garages around here. YOu can take the train just about anywhere and I do believe that the 4 train will take you direct to Yankee stadium.

Hotels aren't that inexpensive, but if you book now, there are a few that are right at $100 a night, maybe less!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  08:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!

Jo

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wanting to see a Yankees game next year Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page