Page: of 2

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  9:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi from Australia!

I was brought up on a large farm with cattle and sheep and crops. I live in a farm area now, but until then lived in a medium sized town. We have been here 18 months or so. We have 5 children, the eldest 17.

We did grow pumpkins last year, still have one to eat up. Have been trying American recipes with great enthusiasm.

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Floral Saucer, welcome to the MJF forum. However did you find us?
Nice to have you with us, we would love to hear all about your life in Australia. Hope you have a chance to read through some of the old topics and ressurect them if you have an interest.Keep posting, the more the merrier!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:15:42 PM  Show Profile
hey..if there is anything you want to try and need a recipe..just ask..we are all pretty good at coming up with recipes!!! Would love to see some Australian traditional foods recipes too!! My pumpkins are looking to be good this year too..I hope so..we love pumpkin pie!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Pumpkin Pie is next on my list, as well as Pumpkin Cookies. I have a recipe just need to do it!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Welcome!!! We have another member in your part of the world -- Helen from New Zealand. Would love to share recipes with you.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:33:09 PM  Show Profile
I love ressurecting posts, as long as you don't mind too much! I am sure there is something I want to cook as well.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:43:08 PM  Show Profile
I found the forum while looking for names for farms for someone else. An Australian recipe for pumpkin would be pumpkin scones, I made some earlier on this year and they were very nice.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Welcome FloralSaucer
I think it would be fun exchanging recipes with you. I guess I have never really thought about people having differnt recipes in Australia. You have joined a fun and interesting bunch of Farm Girls

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:34:45 PM  Show Profile
We have lamingtons and pavlova, damper, Aussie styled hamburgers, anzac biscuits, it is easy to mix up the styles but I think that is right!
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and slices.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Floral Saucer!!! Glad you are here and chatting with us!! We all would love to share recipes and learn about your traditions and life on your farm! By the way, What are slices? Is it a dessert? Jenny from Kansas

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  07:52:09 AM  Show Profile
Welcome again, Floral Saucer! Just curious what area/province/state of Australia that you reside in? I think you'll fit right in here and give us all an extra international dimension, along with Helen in New Zealand, our new friend Far Flung in Singapore and our many Canadian chums! Glad you found us!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  07:59:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Floral Saucer, welcome to the group!! I just love pumpkin, btw, pumpkin bars are some of my favorites!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:00:50 AM  Show Profile
welcome flora, wish i could grow pumpkins the bugs get them before i do .anyone have any helpful hints?? i would love to have a pumpkin patch. randi
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Molly, You need to came see me for pumpkin! My freezer is still full from last year!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  6:09:43 PM  Show Profile
PLEASE sombody tell me how to grow pumpkins the right way.PLEASE randi
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  6:40:32 PM  Show Profile
I am very lucky, ours came up in the compost. They turned out to be Jarradale's, but I asked someone what they were. We just watered them! Jarradale's have a grey skin.

I tried pumpkin bars this year and it was a great hit with our family, particularly with cream cheese frosting. It turned out that my Nana who collected great recipes that were easy and delicious, and used things she had on hand, already had and used a recipe like that. She has been gone over 20 years, I am lucky to have her recipes. So it was nice to eat Nana's pumpkin bars again, I remember the taste. I hadn't heard of bars, I didn't take that much notice when I originally typed the recipe. Years ago a magazine must have published American recipes for my Nana to get that one.

Nana and I must have similar ideas!

Slices are an Australian invention. They are like bars, they are made in a jelly roll pan, which we call lamington tin. The most famous would be lemon slice. My Nana made slices alot. You could cut them up and pack them into a plastic icecream container and take them with you somewhere for afternoon tea. She often went on train trips.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and I am from Victoria. Victoria and New South Wales are the most populated states. They have the biggest cities. I am between the two cities, originally I lived closer to Melbourne, the city in Victoria. Most people in Australia live near the sea, but I live inland. I live on the Great Dividing Range it is parallel to the Eastern coast of Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  7:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Boy the pumpkin bars sound so good!! I love pumpkin cookies alot too..my sis in law in Calif makes the best!
Randi...I think it is sort of just dumb luck with growing pumpkins....at least for me..some years mine do great..some years not. Last year I only planted the little cute tiny ones and got only about 10 of them from 4 plants..this year I planted the jackolantern type seeds and they are going great...

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't mind sharing some of Nana's recipes if you like.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  8:07:56 PM  Show Profile
please do!!!! thanks!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  9:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Nana's Pumpkin Bars

Cream 4oz butter and 1 cup sugar add 1 beaten egg then 1/2 cup cold mashed pumpkin. Sift in 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 teaspn. cinnamon, 1/2 teas. ginger, 1/2 teas allspice, 1/2 teas. car. soda and pinch salt, then 1/2 cup chopped dates and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Mix well. Spread in flat tin. Bake in moderate 350oF oven for 30 minutes. I felt the tin could have been a bit smaller.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  5:21:19 PM  Show Profile
I found some Australian slice recipes today while getting something else, thought I'd add a link. I didn't get time to add more of Nana's recipes yesterday.

http://www.sunbeamfoods.com.au/recipes_slices.htm
Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  08:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Hi FloralSaucer and all!

How wonderful that you live in Victoria, for that is where I'll be moving to live with my husband ~ as soon as Immigration approves my application to migrate there as a spouse. He was born in Sale, but he lived in many places, two of them Maryborough and Brisbane, Qld. After we met on the internet through my writings, he came here to be with me. Then I went over with him and we got married in 2001. We caravan-travelled up and down the East Coast, especially liked the Northern Rivers area of NSW, lived in many places, the last one being near Mount Warning, on Nobby's Creek Road. Before I came back here in Canada to get my papers in order, he brought me to visit where he grew up (Sale, Yannaki, Wilson's Prom) and now he lives and works near Melbourne, waiting for me.

"Some of us take half our lives to awaken." Colleen McCullough
Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  08:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Sorry ~ didn't get to finish my post!
Just wanted to add that it's SO wonderful to see all the familiar names for Aussie desserts and places. Yesterday I finished reading "Tim" by Colleen McCullough... My soul home is Australia and I can't wait to go back! And when I do, Floral Saucer, do you want to start a FarmGirl chapter with me in Victoria?
Colin and I want to build our own Earth-Home, and grow food/crops/herbs.
How is the climate/rainfall where you live? Do you mind telling us the name of your nearest town, so I can locate you on the map?
I have so many questions!
Lovely to meet you
Stellaraye

"Some of us take half our lives to awaken." Colleen McCullough
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  2:54:36 PM  Show Profile
hello FloralSaucer from the middle of the USA-

i live in the very sw corner of missouri which is smack in the middle of the US-can you tell us a little more about where you live? what's the weather like-do you have the same kind of growing season-do you have animals?

the only thing i really know about australia is the Hillsong Christian music DVD's i love. tell us more, more, more!!

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page