aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  1:40:13 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for a recipe for crystal ring pickles. My hermit adopted uncle brought me a recipe his mother had written. She had abbreviated the method and I'm not too sure we got it right. The cukes have been peeled, sliced and cored. His recipe calls for green food coloring. He said they are crisp and tart and the best with a meal pickles he has ever had. We think they should take 5 days total. Anyone ever heard of this?

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
These sound similar to a pickle that I had when I was much younger, called "Lime Pickles" because you used something to keep them very crisp, not because they had limes in them, but these were actually canned up like you would a regular pickle, but they were sweet, tart and very, very green from food coloring.
Good Luck,
peapodjane

Edited by - peapodjane on Sep 06 2007 4:03:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
MMM MMM MMM!!! lime pickles!!! thats my favorite pickle in the world... and when you've had potato salad made with chopped lime pickles, nothing else will ever do!
my grandma & mother made them every year... now my brother makes them. i thought i would try this year, but never seemed to find the time to get it done. they are made with pickling lime (hence the name) and the one my brother uses that you can find in NC in the summer is Mrs. Wages brand. you can find the recipe and other info at www.mrswages.com
good luck!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  07:50:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you!
I get the gist of it from that. I am going to try these any if they at great I will post it.
We joke about recipes like this being "hundred year pickles". I have tons of these recipes. I love them.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Crystal Ring Pickles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page