Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 French Onion Soup to start; which entree best?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic French Onion Soup to start; which entree best? Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile
I am home today so I want to make a nice dinner for DH and myself.

I plan to make French Onion Soup from scratch to start off, but we'll need more than that to make it a full meal.

What would you recommend to serve with or after that? A full meal for him is generally defined as having meat included!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 06 2007 10:27:50 AM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile
I would go with something like pork or chicken, something lighter--Usually the french onion is a beef stock soup. You could also do a large green salad with marinated chicken and vegetables, too, with a crusty french bread.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:46:04 AM  Show Profile
I usually eat it as a meal by itself. I would make some hot beef sandwiches that you could dip in the broth.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Sep 06 2007 1:36:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about pork chops and rice to follow the soup. THe hot beef sandwiches sound good, too.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  11:46:55 AM  Show Profile
What about some garden-fresh green beans to go with the pork chops and rice? MMMmmmmm... I wish I was having dinner at your house, Jo!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  06:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey Libbie, the green beans are a great idea (she wrote, the morning after). Oh well, the new recipe for French Onion Soup is a definite keeper, and the hot beef sandwiches worked out as a great way to use up the rest of the French Bread needed for the soup. This recipe used a dash of nutmeg; I liked it and so did DH.

I had bought a fairly thick round steak to use in a new stroganoff recipe, which called for seasoning and browning the round steak in a heavy skillet, then slicing it into strips. So, I did the first step of the stroganoff recipe, and sliced part of the round steak into thin slices to pile onto the french bread; kept some of the stock from the soup to use as au jus, and yum, yum, yum. We had sliced garden tomatoes and we were both stuffed.

BTW, the stroganoff recipe is from Paula Deen's new cookbook; we tasted it at a neighbor's house last weekend and my DH (who has refused to eat stroganoff for over 20 years) said it was delicious! It was and I was able to find the recipe on the the web.

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 07 2007 06:52:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic French Onion Soup to start; which entree best? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page