jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  09:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I posted these pics under folding laundry....... I spruced up my laundry room downstairs. My husband says its his favorite room in the house! It's very GREEN! And now I love to fold laundry! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  10:02:37 AM  Show Profile
I love your laundry room. I wish mine was in the basement. I don't like that it is in the main bathroom. I have no room for an indoor drying rack!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Jo, you did a great job. Wanna come spruce up mine? I've lost the tidy look. Also, love your drying rack--no wooden bars to make dark marks on clothes. Very nice.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  1:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wish I had a nice room, instead of just a dark, concrete basement! Lucky you! :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  6:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Janice, light it up, hang weird stuff from the ceiling! I say if you have to spend some time there Decorate! jo

Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  6:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Very nice Jo! I don't have a laundry room-but if I did, I would like one like yours! I love those small white lights. They do add something to any room don't they?

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  06:18:33 AM  Show Profile
I love your laundry room, Jo! It's such a pretty color. Reminds me of Spring, for sure.

I just got a laundry room--the hook up was in our cellar for a long time, and I didn't own my own machine, so I went to mom's. We turned a walk-in closet into a facility on the first floor when we remodelled, and I thought I'd have more space, but I don't. I should have stacked my front loader washer and dryer--that would have made more sense, but the guys delivering for Sears were real jerks, so I didn't want to push it :) Like Tasha, I don't have space for some of the stuff I wanted to do (like put the cat boxes there, too). I do have an antique accordion drying rack that hangs from the wall--I may try to incorporate that in there eventually, but I'm gonna need a stepladder to get to it!!!

I'm going to build a shelf over the top of the machines, so at least I have a folding center, and someplace other than the machines to put soaps on.

I painted it a mocha color, and hung a few little things--a back cover of Mary Jane's Farm Mag with a jersey cow....it's really cute, and I smile everytime I'm there, which is helpful when you're washing clothes you just washed yesterday because dh changes his clothing 10 times a day!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Very nice, Jo. Now you have inspired me to clean and redecorate. We had a laundry room thread awhile back and I can't find it. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  08:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Jo, you have a really pretty laundry room! Very inspiring!

And that's a great sign for your laundry room, Mary Beth!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Cute sign! I sure enjoy my little space, I don't mind spending time in there now..... I think putting a little "artwork in there" makes it a little nicer! jo

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  11:29:30 PM  Show Profile
I spruced mine up one weekend while I was snowed in and cabin fever set in.

First and foremost, my house is a goofy little cottage. It is a walk out built post WW2. It is tiny, 968 sq ft. I love it. Anyhooo, the laundry room is in the basement.

I took everything out of it but the washer,dryer and the furnace- I didn't want to disconnect them and reconnect them by myself-I am NOT that handy. I ripped down the nasty shelves the previous owner installed, and "hosed the room down" with that mildew resistant paint for damp spaces. That stuff is nasty-like trying to paint with frosting, but it works great.

While that dried, I went through and thinned "the herd" of junk one accumulates over the ten+ years since moving in.
Once that was done, the white paint was dry and I painted the cinder block walls a pistachio color I had laying around. I loved it!

The ceiling is the joists/floorboards(?-not sure of the technical term) of the upstairs/main floor. On the joists I installed cup hooks to hang clothes from. There is also a lovely wire across the length that I can hang clothes from too. I have two drying racks that I can use as well, if needed. Otherwise the larger one is folded up and tucked behind the furnace.
I also gave the built in cupboards a fresh coat of white paint to crisp them up a little.

I repurposed some plastic storage drawers to store seasonal clothes in.

Once we were dug out of the blizzard and able to get around, I purchased and put together some inexpensive but sturdy racks. Copy paper boxes fit in between the shelves perfectly for storage.

I also took my laundry soap (Trader Joes- powdered) and placed that in a huge glass jar I had lying around, and I bought a lovely iron bucket style basket (after Easter) to put my clothes pins in. (I have a clothesline outside) This makes them much prettier to look at, but still functional.

I recently acquired an ancient wood ironing board. I plan to refresh with white paint, and somehow incoporate that into something functional as well, as I am not sure it would be able to handle the abuse of me ironing my work clothes on it everyday.

I still hate doing the laundry, but I do love my laundry room.

Jo-love the string lights idea, how clever. I may have to do that in mine too.

Edited by - kissmekate on Sep 07 2007 11:33:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  06:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Kate, what terrific ideas for your laundry room!

For your ironing board, is it sturdy enough to position it against a wall and put plants or books, or candles/knick nacks on it? Or use as a folding surface if it isn't sturdy enough for ironing?

Or, keep it flat and hanging or standing against a wall and dress it up with a Farmgirl apron !

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  07:11:58 AM  Show Profile
i love having the convenince of my laundry room on the same floor as where we live .. and directly next to our teensy bathroom .. ha! our laundry room is even 'teensier'. i can barely fit my ironing board in there with the washer and dryer .. and you gotta' 'suck it in' to get to the 'real' laundry room stuff. but still i love it! (i've always had BIG ones .. and it ALWAYS became the messiest room in the house!) the walls in there are practically covered with doll and children's clothing hanging on them! when company comes .. (in case they want to look at the cabins) .. i always cover the board and washer/dryer with 'vintage clothing' strewn across them as if the 'laundry maid' is preparing to wash and iron! i'll take some pics and post them on my blog. jo .. you got it right gurlfren .. the laundry room IS one room that we women spend a little time in .. and it should make us happy to go there! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Making laundry rooms fun Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page