Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom Next Topic
Page: of 10

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  08:41:00 AM  Show Profile
Ummm, now I'm confused. I confess, I didn't know what a charm square was so I looked it up on the web and I thought it was a square of fabric.

The sites I found gave examples like: eight women get together and each has cut out eight 5" x 5" or 6" x 6" squares from five different fabrics. They keep one packet for themselves and give one to each of the other seven women. That way, each woman ends up with one square each of 40 different fabrics.

I read that one of the "charm quilt" traditions is to make a quilt where there is only one matched pair of pieces and every other single piece is different. Then, when your child is home sick you can make a game out of having them try to find the two matching fabrics on their quilt.

I found a wonderful link (I think to the "Kansas City Star" archives) which gave several different pattern pieces you could you for this "Queen of the Scrap Quilts". My favorite was called the "apple core" or "double axe". I will try to find it again and post it.

ANYWAY, I guess if what we are needing is a pieced block, I need to know because I am getting things ready and I don't want to annoy anyone by sending the wrong thing.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Here are the links I mentioned in my last posting. The first is a history of Charm Quilts and the second has templates for 10 different Charm Quilt Patterns.

http://www.fabrics.net/charmQuilts.asp

http://qnm.com/articles/feature15patt/

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  08:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Please, count me in too!
I might be having a heat related meltdown here but I am still not exactly sure if we are going to exchange a stack of 2 inch squares or a 12 inch finished pieced block or both. I am game for anything.
Nine patches are easy for beginners and have a nice look when "charmed"
Weeding for the last 3 hours has me laying on the floor in front of the fan on high with a glass of iced tea and my computer.
What a sight!!

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  08:04:47 AM  Show Profile
I love this idea too, but am not a expert quitler just a self taught do it my way quilter but am eager to learn more and share what ever mess I come up with! LOL Count me in!!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  11:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
all you girls who want to swap blocks later on need to email me your addresses please so I can get the list started and we can all plan ahead.. thanks, Diane

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Aug 27 2005 11:50:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

bbohus1
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Beverly
Chicago IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey quilt square swap- I would love to jump in here I am new but I have been quilting for abount five years and have a mountaing of fabric. (Doesn't touching it constitute using it?) So Monkey soxs count me in. Whoopee i 've found my tribe!

Just tryin to get back to the country
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:44:20 PM  Show Profile
We're sending a 6 x 6 piece of fabric. Next time around I'd like to see us send a finished quilt block. I would really treasure something like that knowing that my Farmgirl friends made it!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  2:31:34 PM  Show Profile
yes!! Lets for sure exchange blocks next time!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Has this started already? I would so like to be involved.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
hey bubblesnz..the charm square list (note: charm square is a 6 inch plain fabric square) is started but we only have like 3 names...

I am compiling a larger list for the quilt block swap (Note: this will be an actual pieced quilt block exchange, probably 12" x 12" ) that we have agreed to start in the fall, after it is cooler and the kids are back in school and the farm/yard work load has slowed a bit.

If you want to join either, or both, email me direct.

Hope that helps..
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  11:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi I would love to be included in both if everyone is happy to post to New Zealand.

Guess I will have to quilt in the heat!!! :)
Think I did email you today, did you get it.???
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  11:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Diane -- did we get names and addresses yet? I can't remember. I belong to mail art, buttons, and now this!! My poor menopausal brain is having a hard time keeping up with everything!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  06:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello "Bubble-snooze"

It only costs a few cents more to mail something to NZ so I will be happy to do it.

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

teresa
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

teresa
marysville wa
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  07:33:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm brand new to this site and also faily new to quilting but I would love to be a part of a block swap. How is it done? I recently made a queen size log cabin quilt for my son serving in Iraq and had the 91st Psalm embroiered on it and I got a 3rd place ribbon at the fair. Not too bad for a first timer! Anyway, would love to do quilt blocks when the weather cools a bit.

The best is yet to come!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Teresa, that's great, congrats on the win!!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be involved too! Kind of new to quilting though...Do we quilt a fabric block and send it to someone on a list? What is charming?

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 12 2005 7:16:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Good to see you made come to join Meadowlark!!I'll tell youu sisters, give this woman a few wines and she agrees to anything. :)lol
I will fill ya in Jen on the charming etc.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Helen, You naughty Kiwi!!!! Darn, you are so right! Please fill me in on the charmin thing!

Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:14:03 PM  Show Profile
I have been on vacation and I am kinda lost on what is going on but would love to do the charm squares and the quilt block later

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  08:47:21 AM  Show Profile
Count me in on a quilt block swap. I participated in an on-line swap of Friendship Star blocks in 2002 and received some lovely blocks even from a man in Iowa!! We signed and dated the blocks and it resulted in a beautiful quilt. I think the block should be fairly simple so beginners can participate successfully too.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Mary, what a cool idea, I bet the quilt was just beautiful!!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:31:38 PM  Show Profile
It is a nice quilt. One I treasure. There was no contact like this chatroom between participants, though, so this swap would make an extra special quilt.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:33:16 AM  Show Profile
Can someone tell me what a charm square is? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  12:59:28 PM  Show Profile
A charm square is simply a square of fabric usually 5 inches or larger. It can however be a triangle, octagon or diamond or any consistent shape. Sometimes very small pieces are used to make "postage stamp quilts". They are used to make one-patch quilts in which no two fabrics (patches) are alike.

Hope this helps.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile
The quilt block or charm square swap sounds great. I've never done one before, but count me in.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page