Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom Next Topic
Page: of 10

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  02:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Any body up for a quilt block swap? Or charm squares? Or should we wait till the cooler weather sets it...let's think about it..

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Sep 08 2005 11:17:56 AM

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes, yes! Please!

Maybe we could work on setting it up now so that we are ready to go when cool weather sets in....

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  06:52:13 AM  Show Profile
can they be vintage squares? i'm just a beginner and some of my own are pretty scary!!! but do love the idea!

talk to you soon.
karen

living' large in MO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:58:22 AM  Show Profile
That sounds fun!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile
A quilt block swap sounds great. As long as you don't mind a novice that is! Quilting is something I have yet to try, but want to learn. Cooler weather time would give me a chance to get used to it first.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Just my two cents but I think vintage blocks and blocks from new quilters are fine. This isn't about perfection so much as variety, right?

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  2:09:04 PM  Show Profile
What are charm squares?????

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  4:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Ditto, what is a charm square?
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  4:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Charm squares are small squares of fabric swapped usually with a theme , color tone or freestyle if that's what your group decides.They are great because you can get that last couple square inches of your fabric put to good use. I once got at a quilt swap a canning jar filled with cotton flannel batting, muslin square to match and 150 charm squares to make a mini quilt. It was such a neat way to package it and the label said "Charmalade". I believe the squares were all 2" x 2" and the color palette was pink, black, and white. It turned out very victorian and I just loved it!

I think the charm squares might be a good way to start without putting too much pressure on anyone. Since we all seem to like the prarie/rustic how about a swap of homespun type squares?That would give everyone a chance to get a feel for this process without feeling like they have to produce a masterpiece! Just a thought ladies, but I'm in for whatever we all decide.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:41:35 PM  Show Profile
I happen to have about 150 charm squares that I bought on eBay. I've been wondering what I was going to use them for. Count me in and keep me posted on the details -- right now I'm up to my eyeballs in mail art!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Whaht a great idea. But I agree lets wait until cooler weather. I am game for what ever you all decide. Just let me know.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I'll go along with whatever is decided. I do like the charm square idea simply because it would be easier to make it all work together in one quilt.

Bramble, I love the "Charmalade" idea. I'm going to make one for my mom for Christmas!

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  10:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Well, we could start with a charm exchange, and work up to quilt blocks.I think for the blocks, we should pick a theme and a size like 12 & 1/2" blocks..we could do an Autumn Leaves pattern...Sunbonnet Sue(Farmgirl Sue...?)or get a real early start and do a Christmas theme...what do you think girls?

I have an idea for my charm squares, there is a book called "Little Bits of Whimsy" by Kathleen Rindal Brooks. About miniature quilts.There is a darling pattern called "Button up" which is a fairly easy quilt she made to showcase her vintage button collection that I have been wanting to make, I will use my farm girl charm squares.We could include a button with each charm square (I know you probably all love old buttons too right? In Fact, I think I will call the quilt Farm Girl Charm Squares.

Let me know you ideas!!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Well now I know what to call this quilt I have been putting together for a while now with 2 inch squares. I got started when I worked at a fabric store for about 3 years and a woman from a quilting club came in looking for fabric to back the most beautiful quilt I had ever laid eyes on up til then. It was done all out of these 2 inch squares by all the ladies who belong to that club over the past year and they had as a group put them all together and were going to hand quilt it and raffel it off for some charity. They each had made several of the 9 patch 2 inch square pieces in 2 tones of the same color, different print fabrics and no two ladies used the same color so it was a rainbow of color ranging from light shades to dark shades of all the colors you can immagine. Somehow they had positioned all of the pieced 9 patches into a color spectrum moving from lightest to darkest around the quilt something like a spirial. I have been putting little 2 inch 9 patch squares together in 2 tone groups ever since and someday want to make a quilt something like what I saw.
Awesome,
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  2:30:57 PM  Show Profile
wow..that does sound pretty!! I always heard the little 2" squares peiced together called a postage stamp quilt. I guess it depends on where you are from and how it is put together??

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I think this sounds like fun. If you all decide to do this, please count me in!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  06:40:43 AM  Show Profile
I sounds like we need to get our list started. Kay (therusticcottage) has done a fabulous job with the Mail Art List. Maybe she could provide some guidelines. Do you want to do the honors, Diane?

Go to Top of Page

Erthdancr
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Rebecca
Gregory Michigan
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  4:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Erthdancr an AOL message
I would love to be included in this charm square/quilt block swap. Please add my name to the list...whoever is doing the list making. It would be a good thing to use up some of this mountain of fabric I seem to have collected.

Rebecca

An immaculate house is the sign of a wasted life.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  10:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Sure I'll do the honors... oh,Kay...Calling Kay the rustic cottage...help me out here fellow farmgirl...what's the best way to coordinate the list making process..?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  08:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,

Do you have Excel on your computer? If so, I will send you the blank worksheet that I did for the mail art list. The mail art was started when I stepped in to keep the list but basically I just add names. When someone emails me that they want to be included I just add their name to my email contacts, add them to the list, and send them the list with instructions on what to do. Then I send the updated info to the other members (I put everyone in a Farmgirls group in my address book so I only have to click once to send the email to everyone). I'm only sending out an entirely new list to the whole group once a month (unless we have a bunch of new people join). In between times I just send the updates once a week (usually on Sunday evening) and people can add them to their list. And that's about it. Do you want to set this up basically the same -- with a person sending to the person directly above them and then just work through the list? Has this helped? If not, email me privately and I can give you more info.

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:41:02 AM  Show Profile
I know we aren't starting 'til fall but I have some squares ready for a new home

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
never mind

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Aug 28 2005 12:02:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Okay- count me in.

My very first quilt, for my Grandma, was a lap quilt done in Autumn Leaves.
I have plenty left over to make either size square - depending on what we decide to do!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  12:44:32 PM  Show Profile
So, help me understand - do we swap just fabric squares, or do we sew something that is made up of 2" squares and swap small quilt blocks?
I would love to do this, too, but am still working on mail art and also the Farm Girl Chapter quilt square, plus all my normal projects! But, if it is just swapping small squares, I would love to do that. I have lots of cool fabric.
Thank you for the Charmalade idea!!!! Very clever and a great gift! I am going to give that to someone, if I can think of someone like me who loves to quilt!

jpbluesky
Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  4:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi JP -- Usually you make a quilt block out of smaller squares. Most times it is a a certain size of block determined by the group. 12 x 12 is a pretty general standard size. I couldn't think of anything better than getting enough squares to make a Farmgirl keepsake quilt. We need to be sure and label or sign our squares with name, location and date. Sorry -- it's the organizer in me coming out again.

--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  5:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kay!

I just read over how you are organizing the Sisterhood of the Traveling Art.
I e-mailed you on Monday this week to add me to the list and to get the address list as well.
Will I get it when you update and send out on Sunday for the week? Or will it be sent when it's sent out for the month.
I'm sorry, but, I just want to make sure that I don't either bug you- or miss getting it!

Thanks so much!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page