True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  8:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

My name's Anastasia and I have 160 acres near Smithers, BC...about a 14 hour drive north of Vancouver. I'm sharing this place with two dogs, two cats, two horses, a llama and a goat. Hoping my horse is pregnant and to get more goats in the fall.

Originally a city girl (Vancouver). Heard about Mary Jane in a magazine not too long ago, then found the latest issue on a newsstand in town, just before leaving to work near the Arctic Ocean. The tough thing about hobby farming and rebuilding a house in an isolated area is having to work away from home so that you can live there! I'm a geologist by training, exploring for gold 750km north of Yellowknife. Ya'll will need an atlas to find me!!!

I'm great with animals, not so good with plants, but am hoping to get some inspiration from folks on this list. I love the magazine...it's been so wonderful to read so much that will help me out, that speaks to my heart, that encourages me to keep going with the home that I love. I've been there for three years, love the privacy and the quiet, the wildlife that wanders past my doors, the powdery snow and the wild roses that cover my land.

Enough about me, or this will become a novel! Have been writing a bit, too, have published a few articles about heritage turkeys and living off the grid. Fun stuff! Time to go and search the archives, see who's here and what's going on.

Thank you all for being here. I feel like I've found a new...family.

Cheers,
Anastasia

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  8:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Anastasia, You have found a new family: the Sisterhood of Farmgirls!!! I do know where Yellowknife and Smithers are, so no atlas needed here! Glad you've found your piece of paradise. Most of us here are dreaming of the same thing. Glad you found us!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 27 2005 8:15:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  10:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Anastasia!! I am glad you found us too!! Sounds like a beautiful place you have!! Cant wait to hear more from you!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  07:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Welcome. I too know where Smithers is. I have family in Kitimat and I'm another Canadian.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anastasia, sounds like you live a wonderful life there...welcome to the "family"!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello Anastasia, glad to have you with us. Your home sounds wonderful. Your life sounds so interesting. You have come to the right place. Isn't it a great feeling to know so many farmgirls do exist? Welcome. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  7:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

It's so great to know there are others out there so close to the land. I just love it.

The ideas some of you have come up with are just brilliant...it's so great! And it's nice to talk with people who are enjoying the summer on their land while I'm up here in Nunavut, still with 24 hour daylight and snow last week. Hehehe. Sunny today though, with all the bugs that come with the warmth. I've never seen such mosquitoes...

Hugs, all,
Anastasia

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  05:15:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Anastasia - you know how to live in the wild! Welcome, and it will be fascinating to hear about your life in the north. How are the winters there on your place? Do you get into a town often?
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:15:54 AM  Show Profile
welcome anastasia, love canada have checked out land there and around. living off the grid COOL! welcome kindred spirit. randi
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  09:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey there, all!

Yep, I do get into town reasonably often but prefer to space my visits. I'm active in the community choir, volunteering for musical evens, take private singing lessons, and I was working full time in Smithers for a couple environmental advocacy groups before I headed to the arctic. I'm hoping to start work for another non-profit charity in the fall, making documentary films for PBS about other non-profit charities. Really looking forward to that, maybe getting in some more writing, some more house-renoing projects.

So many interesting women on this site! And less than 1100 across the continent! That's just so cool...

Cheers,
Anastasia

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic From waaaayyyy up north... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page