Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Work ethic--what happened to it?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Work ethic--what happened to it????? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I work in a small law firm. We have 2 partners, and 2 associates, and three paralegals (me included). We also have two law clerks, an accountant and....a receptionist. Because one of our associates does Immigration and Civil Rights law, he thinks it's necessary to have a bilingual receptionist, typically hispanic, since we have a large hispanic population here (incidentally, it is of note that there is a very small percentage of hispanic immigration cases here at the office. The majority are African, Middle Eastern and Russian. So, he's been responsible for hiring the last two receptionists, who were both born here, in the states. The first was really sweet, and really beautiful, but never came to work--on average, she missed about 2 days out of the work week, or 1 1/2 days for a variety of reasons, largely baby/doctor related, had major legal troubles outside of the office (dui's, boyfriend bit someone's ear off in a fight, tax fraud, etc...) and she quit about a month ago when she felt she might be fired. So, enter the second receptionist who was referred by a reputable firm here, who conditions stay at home mom's for the workforce. She was shy, but sweet, and seemed to fit in nicely. Her first week of work, (three weeks ago) she missed one day. She worked all of last week, then this week, called in on Tuesday stating her baby had kept her up all night crying, and yesterday (and today) she is no call, no show. Obviously, she's not coming back, but WHY couldn't she have called and said, "hey, this isn't working out for me, or I simply can't leave my little one yet, or my circumstances have changed?"

I was raised by a depression era father, and I'm telling you, I show up for work, even when I'm half dead, and I've worked plenty of jobs that weren't for me, for longer than I'd wanted, because I made a committment. My father is gone, but he's always in the back of my head when I wake up sluggish, with a migraine ("get up, take a shower, you'll feel better") or when I just want to go home. My mom said she never missed work when I was small, because, "we liked to eat every day, not every OTHER day!"

To me, being a receptionist is the most difficult job a person can have--you HAVE to be at work, or it's a major gum up in the system, you have to do all kinds of things that may seem servant-like (making coffee, taking glasses from the conference rooms after depositions, whatever), being polite to EVERYONE that calls, even the sucky people. I've been one, I know it's not an easy job, but it's an important one.

Sorry to vent, but I'm just bummed that it seems like this is a pattern in some workers--I hear about it all the time, and now being witness to it, it really bothers me. This job has good benefits (which is rare these days), a 401K, and the hours are easy and the firm is top notch. One of the best in the tri state area. We operate like a family, and we're small enough to have many freedoms here that larger firms don't (flexibility for doctors visits, etc..)

In this day and age, with everyone talking about recession, and no money, and barely being able to make it, why can't we find someone to come to work?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  07:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Move over and make room on that soapbox for me! This no work ethic thing is on my list, too. I generally tell myself that I'm just old and times have changed. It just seems to be the 'norm' and to be accepted by the higher ups.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  08:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean. I when I was pregnant with Nora I was working at a nice Hotel as a Front Desk Agent. I on average worked anywhere from 45-50 hrs a week because they were having "Employment Issues" read between the lines to "We can't hire enough people and the ones who do work for us don't show up". It was frustrating and tiring. I worked until the doctor called me at work and demanded I go to the hospital for tests and Nora just happened to think it was a good idea to be born- you know- since I was already in the hospital and everything.

It makes me sad for this generation and probably the next ones after that. BUT I take comfort in knowing that I have a good work ethic and my kids will have a good work ethic because it is important to me to teach that to them. It's kind of like the dilema with seeing and hearing people have poor manners these days. It saddens me, but I know the best thing I can do is make sure I have good manners and make sure my kids have good manners.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  09:43:58 AM  Show Profile
No you're not old Janice. My youngest is 23 and has worked at Costco since she got out of school. The stories she tells of the next generation applying for positions is mind boggling... wearing a walkman during an interview, cell phones ringing during interviews and one that had a pot pipe fall out of her pocket onto the floor! Then there are those that can't understand why they can't make their own hours. It's sad really, as at some point in these poor kids unprepared lives, reality is going to give them a harsh swift kick. In some cases, hopefully sooner than later.
Di
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:16:48 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the story you tell is really common, and it ends up giving administrative assistants like myself a bad rap. I am an experienced professional with 5 years on the job, a bachelor's degree, and excellent references from everyone I have ever worked for...and every time I begin a job, the people who hire me are surprised to see that I actually DO my job. The poor-performing receptionists/assistants ruin it for all of us; they pretty much ensure that the wages stay low because no one expects much out of us.
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:50:01 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I have had numerous conversations about today's work ethic, or lack thereof. . .I was taught you do the job you are given to the best of your ability. Don't call in sick if you are not. I don't even like being on-time, I like being early! Our kids are still young, but we are trying to make sure they understand that working hard is good work!

visit my blog at http://handittoholly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I see it all the time. Me, I'm in my 30s. But a lot of these younger 20-somethings have no ethic. They don't work. They don't clean their homes. They don't take care of a single thing they own. Mom and dad bail them out all the time - so why work hard when mom and dad will take care of you when you just don't show up to work for a few days and get fired from your job at Wal-Mart?

My younger brother - 23 - same issue. Mom and dad pay for everything. I hired him this summer as my intern, seeing as how I needed the help, he needed a job somewhere, and he could work for my hubby on the days I didn't need him. His FIRST DAY I would have fired anyone else. I had given him work to do, and then later in the afternoon I looked round the corner and saw he was PLAYING A VIDEO GAME on his computer! I said "I hope you aren't charging me for your time while you PLAY." and he taps his timesheet and says "it's not on there." I gave him hell for it, but later in the summer, he griped to Mom and Dad that he hadnt made enough money yet for the next semester. So they turned to me, and I told them what was up - that he was IN my office 3 days a week, but only putting in one day's worth of work, being that he is very honest and all his timesheet showed that. So my Dad was all up in arms and yelled at ME that my brother was supposed to be up here learning a work ethic from US!

I told him it was news to me, that a work ethic has to be there long before you hit your teen years, let alone your 20s.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:33:56 AM  Show Profile
This covers so many areas of work. It seems to be in every type of job/career there is. I am a teacher and I see both types of new teachers, the ones who work 70 hours a week and the ones who never bring a paper home, never stay a minute after, etc. Not to mention that these younger teachers who grew up on MTV do NOT know how to dress or act in public. They gossip all the time and basically try to "vote people off their island" all day long. Their thongs are visible through their pants and some even wear fishnet stocking to teach 5 year olds!! It is remarkable!

No one has compassion or empathy, or a sense of obligation anymore either. It's like we bred it out of the younger generation the way broodiness has been bred out of chickens!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  12:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Yeah it's really bad here in NYC with all generations that I see.

For instance, I grew up with rental houses (my grandmother owned 10 rental properties). Between each new renter we renovated, repainted, etc. Well......when we moved into out apt here all the cabinettes, windows and outlets had been painted over/shut! I told my husband we always did our own painting on the properties, however, there were times when more then one property would be available (renters moving out) at a time and we needed to get new ones in there faster to get the rent coming in to make house payments/insurance etc. So once in a great great while we would hire out the painting, and I just can't imagine my grandmother actually paying for the kind of paint job our apt had! What's with painting every thing shut?!?!? And to think some one was actually paid for that!

Just one of many things, I noticed here about work ethics.

However, my husband is like many of you, he NEVER calls in sick. In fact 5 years ago he got chicken pox and he was still going to go.....however the job had other ideas, and sent him home and told him to stay here till he was over the pox, they didn't want them! lol
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile
It's so sad. It will only get worse unless we as parents say "Enough already!" and teach our kids these work ethics. Most kids veg in front of tv and video games or the computer and have very little expected of them. They live lives that are unstructured and undisciplined so when they go into the work force they are clueless. We didn't want this for our three boys, which is why we chose to be involved in 4-H. Raising hogs is a daily task and not a pretty soft task! It takes work, putting up with unpleasantries and dedication. At home we are making them learn to wash dishes, do laundry, mow the lawn, vaccum, etc. I just wish that all children were taught to work at home. It will only hurt our society in the end.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  2:30:04 PM  Show Profile
So true Brenda it begins at home.

Most my siblings have chores (there's 16 of us). Only seven of us are old enough to be out of the home. So most are still home. When I was last visiting one of my brothers is 13, he asked me if getting I beleive it was either 10 cents or 50 cents a load of laundry was a good deal. (this is added to his regular chores, as he wanted to earn money for a video game, and my step mother had broke her hand and couldn't keep up with the laundry on her own). I told him yes it was a good deal since he was a member of the house hold and contributed to the dirty laundry. lol I know it was not much money for this day and age......but it is about work ethic, and also part of being in a family is contributing. If he was doing this for a house hold he was not part of that would be a different matter. But, any way, I see at least my siblings with a pretty good work ethic. One brother is in the Marines-special corps. My sister is in Law school....etc.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  5:53:26 PM  Show Profile
It is hard to see people that just can't seem to work what a job requires of them when they knew full well what the job was when they took it. Farms in our area are having a hard time finding employees to fill the positions available. People just don't seem to want to do any kind of physical labor and it's quite frustrating. I fear that we'll soon be getting our produce, meat and milk from China because the farmers around here just can't find the labor to run their farms...sad stuff!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  6:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Our farm doesn't need too much outside help. When someone needs a job we usually make one for them to help them out. Last year we had college student/fire fighter guys helping out, pruning our orchards. After the first day they started showing up later and later and calling in more and more until they just quit coming. The work isn't even that hard and the pay was good.
My kids are 5 and 3 and help me with all the farm and house chores. My niece is 15 and can't even load the dish washer by herself. My sister says she feels bad making her do them or any cleaning. HELLO!! How is she going to keep her own house?!

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Well I must admit I have no idea how to use a dish washer either. lol I have never had one. My parents got one, and when my husband and I visited, neither of us could figure it out. So I just went to the store and bought a dish drain and did them my usual way with the sink! lol haha
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone... I am new to posting here, but not to reading. I almost feel like I know you girls because I have been reading so much from you. I usually like to stay quiet, but it is so funny that this subject should come up. I am 41 and work 3rd shift in a medical production company. We have good pay and benefits and a job that is not all that hard. We all know what is required of us when we agree to "work" for the company in exchange for our wages and benefits. Most of the people that I work with are around the same age with familes and such. What bothers me is the men that do not want to work. They are supposed to be the leaders of their families (yes, I am old-fashioned) When I am standing next to a whining man for 8 hours a night, it surely does grind on my nerves. Mostly my team consists of mothers with children... we basically run on 3-4 hours of sleep plus take care of our families. I am truly thankful that my mother was such an awesome role model in my life. She really set a fine example sometimes working 2 or 3 jobs while raising me (single). I am blessed enough to have homeschooled my children. I have 3 and only 1 left at home now. He is 13 and does plenty of work here at home, plus he mows grass for our neighbors. I am also extremely blessed to have a wonderful husband that goes to work everyday and helps out around the house. I think we are all a dying breed. I am fearful for our wonderful country!!! Our youth are supposed to be our future. What are we in store for???

Sorry to ramble on.... I really do enjoy all of you. Thank you for listening. Hopefully I can chat about something more pleasant next time like some of the beautiful things you talented women create. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cheryl!

Welcome to posting on the forum!

I sincerely hope that as we all continue to try to raise out children with a work ethic- maybe it will make a come back.

Eventually those slackers in the work force will be wanting to move up in companies and such and will be in for a rude suprise!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  8:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Great, Elizabeth! I for one, can't WAIT to get more top quality products from China!!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way--I'm 33, not old, not young, but I was raised by parents who worked hard, all the time. My dad was still working the day he passed away at 70.

Yesterday, I was flabbergasted that she didn't show up and didn't call, and today, I was simply angry. Typing a 40 page contract will do that to a person, all the while sitting your three hours at the reception desk, answering the phone, highlighting where you left off, beginning to type, repeat. repeat. repeat.

Next week, one of the paralegals is out on vacation, and that leaves 3 of us to sit the desk for more time, then try to go back to your desk and get started on the work you can do there! Today, I didn't go to lunch until 1:50, because I knew I would have to finish that document BEFORE I got downstairs (because yesterday really sucked for concentration), and then I crammed my lunch hour in so that I could be back by 3:00 to answer phones. I didn't even get to eat my lunch, because I cut it short to finish up work.

I sure hope our former receptionist is having a great time sitting at home!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  05:17:44 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, have you tried Kelly Services or something like that to find a receptionist? Typically, they do the screening and you can "try someone out" before you make any kind of committment to them. We did that at a CPA firm I worked for, and it worked out great. Every once in a while one was bad, but you knew it while they were still temps, and not actually real employees.

And, if they do call off or are "no-show", the Kelly Services provider will get someone out there to cover. Just a thought. I won't say anything else on this topic, being a CPA who works a minimum of 50 hours a week, and sometimes even 80+ hours a week during the heat of tax season while my newbie staff right out of college does the video golf thing when they think you're not looking and wants to leave early on Friday so they can join their friends at "happy hour". I tell them when we have "happy work all done hour" here at work, then they can leave to go have happy hour with their friends. Oh no, I'm starting to hyperventilate--I must get off my soapbox and back to work!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Work ethic--what happened to it????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page