Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I just got a vist from the FBI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just got a vist from the FBI Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Seriously. I'm not joking.

This lady was asking all sorts of questions about our old neighbors. The man is in the Navy and she was asking all sorts of questions like "Would you recommend him for a position of trust" "Did he have illegial visitors from other countries" and on and on.

Luckily they couple were wonderful people and I had nothing bad to say about them. I hope this helps him get a promotion or something!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:13:41 PM  Show Profile
so, did they wear black suits & dark sunglasses? (like "Men in Black" movie)???? hahaha!
Sounds like a"background investigation". Most all goverment agencies do background investigations for employment.
>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 29 2007 2:15:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Alee - that happened to me once - kinda freaked me out! Same thing - they were asking about old neighbors.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Alee Our Neighbors went through the same thing when our daughter was in the Air Force and was being cleared for a security clearance, it is a routine thing. Even my ex-husband and his wife were questioned and he and I had not been marriend for 23 years. The government takes this pretty seriously.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:16:55 PM  Show Profile
That's standard for government jobs these days. When I was an intern for US Probation, they interviewed all my neighboors...just for an intern!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Actually she was just in nice street clothes, but had the badge and everything. She was very business like and I can certainly see how it would be intimidating to be questioned by the FBI! Good thing I am a good citizen!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile
One of my co-workers applied for a job with the FBI, and they did the same thing. They have to do background checks for anyone getting a government job with specific security clearances.

I had another friend who I went to college with who ended up working for the FBI, and for the first couple of years with the service, he did background checks on people. It can feel intimidating to the people who are being questioned, but it's a very good thing to do the background checks on potential government employees before they become *real* government employees!!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  6:49:16 PM  Show Profile
My friend woke up to a visit from 3 FBI agents and unfortunately it was for her hubby! He had done some downloading of movies back when napster.com was still around and got in trouble. Ended up spending 5 monthes at a low security prison. It was really maddening . . . he is a great guy that trusted a website. I can see the people that own napster being in trouble but all the innocent people that thought they were okay to use the site (which was represented as legal) got in trouble too. Anyway, it was awful for them. Their little girl got up at school in "show & tell" and told them that the FBI came to her house for her daddy. Ugh!

So I guess just be glad they were only asking about your neighbor and not you or your fiance!! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile
You all are nicer ladies than me...I would be SO tempted to be funny, and I'd probably get both myself and the neigbor deported or something!
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  10:47:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm a rabble-rouser enough that I would have told the FBI to get off my land without a search warrant. At the very least, I wouldn't disclose any information about my friends or neighbors. Not that they have anything to hide, but they (and you & I) have the RIGHT to a peaceful existance without the government wanting more information.

Heck, our county health department turned us into the FBI for "suspicious terrorist activities" when the health department discovered we were selling raw milk at the farm. We didn't receive any visits since the sale of raw milk on the farm is legal in IL.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Big Brother strikes again in the name of Homeland Security. Makes me want to move to Italy where the corrupt regimes are up front about it. Viva Italia!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I was glad to talk to her! The questions were not offensive or anything and it is obvious that they were just trying to make sure that they could put an upstanding citizen into an important type job. I hope John gets a wonderful promotion! He was a very wonderful neighbor and we were sad to see them get re-located to the east coast.

I figure he knows what was going to happen when he applied for a government job/promotion. It might be a different story if they were trying to gather information against him.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  11:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
When you fill out the applications for security clearances, you have to sign wavers stating that you know they are going to check you out. We've been through all that.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  12:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Back in the late 80's my DH and I had a visit from two FBI agents, and yes they were in suits & sunglasses. Our only neighbor who lived behind us was the local high school football coach and had applied to the SBI for employment. He was a straight A kinda guy,sweet wife, three great little toddlers, grew a garden, went to church. Just a decent disciplined good guy and thats exactly what we told the agents. I didn't mind one bit talking to these guys because they were just doing their job.....making sure that someone placed in a sensitive position is an honest,trustworthy,top of the line man.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Our neighbors didn't mind at all being questioned about our daughter, they all thought it was pretty cool that a kid they had known for years was doing something great with her life and this was prior to 9-11. I for one am glad that government workers are checked on we have enough problems already. Security clearances are hard to get and really mean alot to those that have them.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just got a vist from the FBI Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page