Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone have recipes for canning large batches?j
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have recipes for canning large batches?j Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile
My three plum trees really put on a show this summer...millions of small cherry sized plums, so many have gone bad, because I cannot process them fast enough. I need to know how much sugar to how much plums is the norm, if possible I would like to can low sugar.And then there is the jams, which I think will turn out better if I make them in small batches

Just how DO farm girls put up big batches? I want to be ready for next year =)

Annika

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  9:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I have canned small plums lots of times and use a syrup that is 1 cup of sugar to every 2 cups water..I think that is a medium syrup. Be sure to prick each plum so they don't get big old cracks in the sides or "blow up" when canned. I heat the plums to boiling in the syrup (I use a big old pot) and then pack them hot into hot jars and fill to 1" from the top of the jar and then after adding the heated lids and screw band water bath them for 25 minutes (quarts) I hope this helps.
I don't know a low sugar jam recipe..but there is low sugar pectin that has a recipe on it.
I do stuff in big batches all the time..but use two water bath canners so I am not in over the stove all day...jam has to be made in smaller batches..which is a bummer..but the way it is.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile
I know when I used to can with my grandmother, we had lots of hands to share the work. It was a family event. There were at least 5 of us working all day, chatting, and getting it all done, then sharing the goodies.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have recipes for canning large batches?j Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page