Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I went to the heart doctor for a stress test and received a clean bill of health- heartwise that is. Today I went to the rheumatologist and received a bump in the road. Apparently I have fibromyalgia. Oh joy, oh rapture. She did say that I was doing everything right- exercising moderately, watching what I eat (non-inflammatory foods), etc. I had two shots in my back that have now caused the muscles to relax and I am actually pain free for now. Yay.
She also gave me a great compliment by saying I had done the right thing catching it early while I am in my THIRTIES and then I told her that I am 49. That made my day. hee hee hee.
Ah well, just one more thing to keep me on my toes. Perfect.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
WOW Karin! She underestimated your age by at least a _decade_ That is awesome!

I am so sorry to hear that you have Fibromyalgia! That is not good- but I am so glad the shots (ouch!!!) help you! I have heard that all the B vitamins help with Fibro but B-12 is especially important.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Karin, congratulations on your youthful age perception, and your healthy heart! Do you sleep deeply? In Across the Fence, Carol Sue asked for prayer and mentioned Fibro. Again, I would suggest Elavil (old med, known side effects and cheap), but there are lots of other options if sleep's a problem.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  12:12:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ann. I don't sleep deeply. I am usually up a few times during the night and that's when you can find me here at my computer catching up on all the farmgirl happenings. :) The dr. did mention that lack of sleep can contribute to fibro, so I will be reading lots of books before I go to bed to get nice and sleepy. Thanks for the heads-up on Elavil. I will check with her about that. I am going to take Alee's suggestion on the B's as well. Can't hurt!!
Thanks you two. You have been very helpful.

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile
You go girl!!!!!-taken for a 30-something!!!! You rock! I'm sorry about the fibromyalgia thing -heard that is soo no fun! Hugs!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karin-

You could also try buying some Melatonin. Melatonin is the natural sleep chemical that our bodies produce. You can buy supplemental Melatonin in the vitamin aisle of most grocery stores. We love it at our house. It helps us sleep when we get out of a good sleep cycle and it is non addictive and cheap!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  9:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh Karin..so sorry to hear about the fibromyalgia! Hopefully some of the gal's suggestions will help. Dang...not what you needed to hear!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  05:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Jenny. Actually, I am kind of happy I know what it is I am dealing with. It's the unknown things that make my imagination swirl about in a frenzy!! The shots I received are still working, although I was awake most of the night in anticipation of the pain returning. What a dork!! I am going to read our fibromyalgia thread today to see what has helped the farmgirls that have it.
It's just a little stumbling block thrown in my way that I have to find a way to get around. And I will.

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  8:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Good going girl 30!!!!!! And yes it is just a stumbling block and you will learn to deal and go on. Well put!
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  9:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Karin...join the club on the Fibro. Used to be, people would look at you like it was a foreign language, but they're making strides in diagnosing and treating it. I personally do not like Elavil, cause it made me feel like a zombie half the day, not caring about anything. I take a Flexeril, a muscle relaxant at night that helps me to "unwind" and get some restful sleep. Daytime, Ultram,which is now available generic was developed to deal with the muscle pain and in my opinion, it's a miracle drug. Does not make me drowsy or feel medicated, but relieves the pain so I can maintain a somewhat normal life. Did I say normal? Well, that doesn't ever apply to me, but I do not allow this diagnosis to rule my life. Yes, it needs controlled and sometimes the pain is more acute than others, but I won't give in to it unless my body just shuts down and says...."okay, bed for you for a day or two to recuperate" and then I have no choice. I do have a somewhat low level case, thankfully. For some, just getting out of bed is a major effort every day and I do feel for those in that category. Oh, it's been 15 years since I was diagnosed.
And Karin, I have a couple vintage purse handles in the package, would they be of interest to you? Kinda half moon shape of a tortoise shell like plastic.
Ronna
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  06:17:10 AM  Show Profile
I will ask about Ultram when I go back next month. Apparently I have a milder case, like you, thank goodness. I am one of those kind of gals as well- plow through and get done what needs to get done no matter what. It's usually by Saturday that I am ready to crash though. However, that is the only day my dh and I have to really spend time together, sooo, it's up early and off to drive around Atlanta, catching up, stopping at a few yard sales and running errands.
When pain gets too bad, I lock myself in the craft room and create. Anything. Just to keep my mind off of it. And speaking fo creating- I would love the purse handles!! You always find the coolest stuff! What would you like in return? Hmm? Or shall I surprise you? :)

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  09:25:51 AM  Show Profile
You have such a wonderful attitude Karin..and hey..I totally understand the wanting to know what you are dealing with and feeling better just knowing. I was thinking alot worse than even emphysema with my breathing/lung problems...I was releived when the doc ordered a ct scan and when it came back fine. whew!! Imagination is a powerful thing!!
You have to show us what you make to go with the cool new purse handles!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  10:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
Will get the purse handles sent to you next week. They're in the "stuff to send to farmgirls" box and I even know where it is :) Knowing you do purses, wanted to offer them to you first. No need for anything in return, really and truly.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Rats. :( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page