Page: of 4

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  5:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
glory, those coyote pelts make great hats, mukluks (boots), mittens and parkas! i have the hat and mukluks but not the parka ...yet! have you considered trapping them? if you dotn use leg hold traps their demise is pretty quick and you can always check thema few tiemes a day to make sure none are suffering.

marly, what kind of gun do you use for gators?? i hear gator tail is good eating but never tried it myself.

peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  6:32:15 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Aug 29 2008 9:23:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  2:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy deer hunting and fishing. We have a catfish pond here behind the barn and then we have a bass and brim pond down in front of the house. The only thing I can't do is clean but I can kill it and cook it.lol
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  6:25:15 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean! I don't want to know how to clean (wimp again). I guess I don't mind fish and birds, but the big jobs I really don't care for. Count my lucky stars and hope it lasts! Don't mind butchering though. I don't know what this fall's deer season will be like around here, it was such a strange summer for crops. Much later than usual. Even the does held off dropping their fawns until much later this summer. Nature is amazing. I guess if we miss out on a deer, we could make up for it by fishing. I'd better keep practicing at the range. Good luck gals, and be sure to share your hunting stories this fall!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  7:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
we have been nunting moose for the last week and today finally saw a cow and calf, not a bull tho sadly since that is all we can (or will) kill. there is almost a week of season left and we are still hoping!we wont get much hunting timmei in tho as hubby has to cut our winters firewood ( our only source of heat!) and he has to go back to work on thrusday. keeping my fingers crossed. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  05:36:27 AM  Show Profile
I just saw this thread. I like to hunt...deer, rabbit. My step dad was a butcher and I worked there for most of my life (from 9years old to 20). I like bow hunting and hubby goes for the gun. I had a Browning and the draw weight (lowest legal) was 42. thats where I started. I've since sold it and am looking for something bigger. Pretty much we hunt to eat... buying a 1/2 steer or a hog around here will put you in debt as fast as the fuel prices!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  09:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Connie, I hope you do get one, and get the wood in. Always an adventure, eh? My aunt shared some really interesting moose recipes with me...one I copied down for "jellied moose nose". Just had me laughing so hard. I suppose someone must enjoy it....it was in a cookbook. But I just get the giggles thinking about such a thing.

Dawn, we used to hunt rabbit in Nevada, but I just don't see many here. It gets me thinking about raising my own. Same with the steer. We're lucky enough to have space for it...but we're just setting up so it's a few years off. That's what interests me most about hunting...organic and affordable, plus you get to enjoy nature and comraderie.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  7:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
michelle, that is why it is called hunting and not shooting! lol i always want to coorect them when the fish and game calls it a "harvest" what harvest? they have allowed so many cow hunts here that the moose are too few for so many hunters *sigh* i have seen that recipe, i think i will pass! i will eat things like tongue and liver but that is all besides the "normal" meat *grin* peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  06:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Good Mornin, I just got back from the Outpost and it rained all night long, super nice sleeping in a tent.

I got this red squirrel that a neighbor brought us and I plan to cook it on the fire pit. I have had fried squirrel many years ago , thought it would be good eatin at the camp. Is there a best way to cook it on the open flames? Should I parboil it first? You got any good recipes for squirrel?

I am so enjoying your alls thread, its been many years sense I went hunting, still go fishing tho. May have to make me a deer stand after hearing all your stories. I use to hunt squirrel w/ 22 and hunt dear with a bow. Tan the hides too. Got my squirrels but never a deer. I think I would have just shook with a bow if I had a deer in sight : (. Always seen the deer when I headed back home tho, they were always watching me. Thats when I gave up hunting at that time.

My BIL is the hunter of the family and he goes up North for the Pheasants and down here for the wild turkey, My sis can cook up some good dishes with those wild birds.

eskimobirdlady, I have tried beef tongue and liver, its ok if sliced real thin. My Mom likes squirrel brains :(, I like to pass on those thank you :P

The best and safe hunting seasons for all

tc linda
Farmgirl #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  06:52:39 AM  Show Profile
LIndaEllen, We cook squirrel, just boil until done, then roll in flour and fry. It's good! Dd was finicky about eating game when she was little so we just told her it was chicken...
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  11:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan, thats how we use to cooked it and yes it is good, tasted like chicken, lol. We are having it today the way you say. I just wonder how it would be to cook on an open fire. I think I should still boil it first so it will be nice and tender.

tc linda
Farmgirl #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  03:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Do anyone of you hog hunt? I went on my first hog hunt the other night. The boys and me didn't catch one but my uncle did. Right here behind my house!!!!
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  7:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
tc linda, i will pass on the brains too! any kind! i boil beef and moose tongue tilltender then slice and put on bread with miracle whip. i just love it! the last timeme i was having a craving fo it i bought one from the store and it was so greasy and nasty! i cant wait to eat the tongue after we butcher the heifer in october! live has to be sliced thin, dipped in flour and fried with onions. nothign is better! i like moose liver too and will be trying caribou liver soon. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  8:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Connie, Now I gotta say I don't crave beef tongue, but will eat it. Oh but the smell of liver and onions cooking will send me in heaven. I could jsut eat the onions.

Now that moose tongue on a mircle whip sandwich might just be tasty. Do you hunt moose and butcher the hunt?

Do you do any dog sledding?

horse, I never had wild pig before or seen any. Did you get your hog yet. Well you butcher it out yourself?

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  8:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Michell I was going to take a hunters safety course this spring. My Master Gardener leader also teaches it for Whitman co. Where does your hubby teach his class, maybe I would like that better, if there is room for one more. I mainly wanted to refresh my memory about guns and I'm considering getting a carry permit. We always went hunting when I was a kid in Nev and my hubby and I used to go hunting all the time when we lived in Wyo. Heck, we would have starved to death when we were first married if it wasn't for my DH going down to the river bottom and getting our deer.
PS are you and Graciegreeneyes in the same chapter in Rosalia?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  11:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
lindaellen, we do hunt moose and caribou as well as grouse and ptarmigan. we do our own butchering. when we moved here i had planned on doing some dog sledding but sadly my health went to heck and i cant do anything that strenuous anymore. sometimes its a real struggle to just get out of bed. when we hunt it is mostly on the 4 wheeler that hubby drives and i just have to ride. he always drives slow and careful so that i dont get hurt. . gosh i have a great hubby! i keep hoping my health will improve but isnt likely since i cannot get a dr here to treat me. *sigh* there are drawbacks no matter where ome lives arent there? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  01:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Connie, so sorry you're not feeling well........ We picked two gallons of blueberries and saw some spruce grouse (no shotgun). The moose are in the rut now, I love watching those big boys strut around with the girls. Take care....... tell me what's going on......

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  06:47:11 AM  Show Profile
Connie that is rough to want to do things and can't. I hope your health improves for you. Can you share with us whats going on?

I have done the dog sledding clear down here in Missouri. Our neighbor raised the dogs and built his own sleds. One year we had a great snow I gave it a try, got my gee and haw mixed up. The dogs went the right way and me and sled went under a fence. . The dogs looked at me like I was a newbie for sure. I would love to do again and hoping for lots of snow this winter : )

Oh the 4 wheelers are fun, we use to take them out on the trails. You do have a good hubby, I think mine wanted to knock me off when I was ridding on the back , or maybe he forgot I was back of him hanging on. I don't like to turn corners on a fourwheeler on two wheels.

Now get this, speaking of DR's. A friend of my BIL's moved to Alaska, way up in the wilderness. But before he left he had all his teeth pulled : (. B/c he didn't want to deal with Dr's and dentist. Or maybe there was none where he was going.

How exciting to see moose, Jo and picking all those blueberries, yum, i'm thinkin blueberry pancakes right now.

We call it dumb buck season down here, those big ol buck deer just have one thing in mine and run aross the roads without looking unlike the doe's who'll stop and look.

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead

Edited by - LindaEllen on Sep 16 2008 06:48:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  1:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
jo, we didnt see one bull and very few cows. it used to be every tieme we went to town there were at least a few moose, now we rarely seeone. we hadno blueberries to speak of this year. cant even make a batch of jam. dont you know better than to leave the house without your shotgun or at least a .22 pistol?? that is when you always see the grouse lol. will you be comign to fairbanks again soon? i would love to go hunt or fish with you. we have 3 4wheelers oen is a true 2 up and another works nicely with 2 people. the last one can haul 2 if you dont try to go up too steep of hill lol. do you pick low bush cranberries too? i made jam last year that was to die for! instead of a slice with yoru meal we use a tablespoon or 2 lol. gonna try highbush for jelly this year. gotta get my rosehip jam made too. everyone loved that and only made one batch last year. we are getting heavy frosts and a freeze is expected in the next few days for the low lying areas. there is a chance of snow above 4,000 ft.
tc linda, i have severe fibromyalgia, reynauds disease, many bad vertabrae in my back and neck, severe muscle spasms etc etc etc lol. guess when i was a kid i didnt think of the long term results of my actions *grin* while hitchhiking i was in a very bad acident and thrown from the car onto the pavement on my head at 65 mph! i got up and walked away with no treatment. now i pay dearly. i have a neighbor who is training a dog team and when they get the hang of it she will take me for a ride. i cant wait! i love riding the wheelers and the snow-go (native speak for snowmobile *grin*) but i would dearly love to get out there without the noise. to see the gazillions of stars while skimming across the snow almost silently and hopefully see the northern lights would be just too good for words! i would love to hunt on horseback too but that isnt possible either so i will be satisfied with using the 4 wheeled horses lol. i cannot imagine ray driving like that even when riding alone! he believes in keeping all wheeels on the ground. hubby almost drives too carefully when i am on with him, i keep telling him that if he goes to fast i will let him know lol. he treats me like i am made of crystal most of the time. i am truly blessed with him! we are newlyweds of only 30 years! *GRIN* sounds like your bil's friend had the right idea! we have few drs and the ones there are are terrible! they practice here for one of 2 reasons, either they cant practice anywhere else or they love to hunt and fish. lol. the cost of medical care here is 4 times what it is in the lower 48. i paid over $300 to get one already loose tooth pulled when i first got here! now that banner health (aka bummer health) is taking over the hospital and the large clinics it will get worse than it is now. moose are stupid year round! they own the roads and if you dont believe it just try hitting one! they win, you lose lol. have had them cross in front of me then half way across turn around, usually falling in the process, and go the othr way! or they will stand int he middle of the road (which they are big enough to fill!) and refuse to move! for an animal with such a huge head they sure have a small brain! i just got a 1971 saab 96 that is so tiny i cant imagine what it would look like if i hit a moose! told hubby it needs big moose lights and a moose catcher that goes around and over the entire car! lol.
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  7:08:38 PM  Show Profile
My goodness Connie, you got a lot going on. Your sure fortunate to walk away from that accident, wow. The ol body can just take so much but it looks like you did a good job of toughing it out.

Oh how do you make your rosehip jelly?

DD and I are going on our 29th yr this Dec. Oh he's a keeper , just to fast on those four wheelers on the trails, he use to ride motorcycles. Heck fire I crashed in a tree riding my bicycle on our trails and wasn't going that fast. : (.

Lol on the moose being dumb all yr. I heard a story in Canada of a musher riding right under a big moose that was standing in the middle of the road. His whole team of dogs ,him and sled. Also a friend that writes a magazine Down To The Roots up in Canada that mushes as well and her new dog got tangled with a big moose, grabbed the moose's nose and tumbled down the clift still hanging on its nose, lol. The dog was found alright some time later. Not sure about the moose tho.

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  7:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
tc linda i tell hubby i have to keep him around to see what he turns out like! i got too much work into him to give up *grin*
here is a link for the recipe that i use http://www.recipezaar.com/196955 i use a food mill to process all my fruit. i strain the resulting juice very lightly using only 1 layer of cheese cloth. personally i think it gives more flavor. it doesnt make true "jelly" as it isnt clear juice. let me know if you try it.
i dont think i would like to go under a moose with anything. they can be reallly mean! there are more people killed and injured every year by moose than by bears! but it would have been cool to see lol. thank goodness the other dog was found unhurt! your friend must have been frantic about her dog! often times in the winter a cow moose will decide that she likes our yard or driveway and it kinda puts a crimp into getting firewood in or leaving with the vehicles! lol i am not afriad of them but have a very healthy respect for anything wild, especially when its that big!
peace connie in alaska

Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  7:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Connie for that link, I'm going to be picking rosehips this week and give it a try. I have a food mill to, boy is it nice. I don't mind if jelly is not clear, I want the flavor.

LOL on the hubbies. I tell mine "We got to be nice to each other , we are all we got" lol Gosh yes you train em after all those years why would you let go, lol.

Yes animals can cause many accidents , we had a family friend killed by a deer, she was riding in the passenger side and the deer came through the window.

Last fall sis and I were going home from town when I heard the sound of hoofs on my side of the open window, sis was driving, I almost leaped in her lap but could not because I was buckled in. A big buck was coming in the window. I could have touched his antlers, it happen so fast. Good for all, sis was going the right speed to pass and he just missed the backend of our truck. Sis was wondering why my head was almost on her shoulders , she was clueless at what was coming through the window, lol.

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
yikes that would be scary!! last winter we had to go to anchorage for a dr (for me) and it was snowy, windy and dark. hubby is a very careful driver and just got a feelign that soemthign wasnt right. he hit the brakes as much as he could and stopped in the middle of a herd of caribou that were in the road!! i tell you we could count their whiskers! it about gave me a heart attack!
good luck on the rosehip jelly! i hope you like it as much as we do! remember that piking them after a frost makes the flavor much better! if it hasnt frosted there yet (which i highly doublt lol) then wait till later in the fall. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  9:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Connie, you make me laugh! I want to come up and hug you. Gosh the chill is in the air, everyone's mad at each other here. I've never felt like this in alaska. I've been watching the moose move up the mountain and they don't know anything is going on, Paul says I should take a walk with them! We picked berries on the game trail and the dogs went crazy there was so much scent there. Soon we'll be looking up at those stars Connie. Like sprinkles on our ice cream........ I picked a bunch of high bush cranberries when we were up on the Chatanika, they're frozen, not sure what I'm going to do with them....... I'll go pick some low bush this weekend, those are my favorites. We pick the crowberries for friends out in Dillingham, we traded salmon with them, we share all our good stuff.

I'm sorry about your aches and pains. Those are tough ones to put up with. You're right, we should have had our shotguns, they were nice plump grouse, full of berries. night to you...... jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  10:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I am taking hunter's safety this fall and plan to go deer hunting this winter! I am so excited, I've never been hunting before!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Outpost: Previous Topic Farmgirl huntresses? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page