22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  12:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OOO! Can you see me turning green with envy?! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we'll probably make some jerky. I'd love to learn to tan the hides. DS does taxidermy, so when he finishes his Master's Degree in Dec. I hope he'll mount the antlers for us. DH is so proud. Going to be busy cutting, wrapping and freezing this weekend. Should plan a nice crockpot fall roast for a big Sunday family gathering.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  7:49:46 PM  Show Profile
My earliest memories of doing things with my father are hunting & fishing. I love fishing, but I haven't hunted in years. My dad used to have my sister & I walk through brush that even a rabbit wouldn't go in! I can remember one time scaring up a couple of pheasants. Much to my disappointment though there were no shots from my dad. It turned out he fell asleep waiting for us to flush something out for him! Dad doesn't hunt anymore either, he discovered he enjoyed the hiking part more. My brother loves to hunt & he's given me pheasants and ducks, even a goose.

Dawn in Il
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  9:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- I really want to learn how to tan hides using the brain of the animal. I have heard that makes the best hides.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  11:43:17 AM  Show Profile
I almost tried brain tanning on a scrap of hide from my hub's 1st elk in Montana, but we ended up moving before I got a chance. Now I'm always too busy! Here's a site with very simple instructions: http://www.nativetech.org/tanning/taneasy.html & here's a woman's great site with photos of her process.

Among you jerky makers, does anyone do it low-and-slow in the oven? I don't have a dehydrator this year, so I'm looking for an alternative recipe.

Jen
www.maryjanesoutpost.com
My Blog: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - jenbove on Oct 17 2007 11:58:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

KimmyWVSC
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kim
South Carolina
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Send KimmyWVSC a Yahoo! Message
I've never been hunting but I would LOVE to try turkey hunting! I DO love to fish though and can't seem to get enough of it. Though I'm a softie and throw most of 'em back.

"Behold, I make all things new." Revelations 21:5
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I was watching about 10 turkeys in the neighbor's pasture yesterday, marveling yet again at how these big, beautiful birds so often slip through the woods unseen. I was also mulling over how interesting (how human) it is to revere the beauty of such wild things, and yet also be gripped with the urge to kill them. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" right? If I'd had a license, I'm pretty sure I could've shot a Thanksgiving bird for my family, and it would have rested ok on my conscience. I guess I'll leave it up to my hub this year...

Jen
Go to Top of Page

Giraffe4223
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dani
Esko MN
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  3:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Well up here in Mn my hubby and I hunt :Deer, Phesant, Grouse, Rabbit, Goose, and Duck!
We even went hunting for our honeymoon, hubby went out for a wild boar and I went out for Ram! We went to Missouri and had a great time!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  10:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi jo, i know this is an old topic but wanted to post any way since i do hunt and live in alaska. i am north of fairbanks and while i can drive the 30 miles to town i choose not to unless i have to! we hunt moose, caribou (no luck there yet) grouse, ptarmigan and black bear (no luck there either tho hopeful for this years berry patch hunting lol) mostly i have had the best luck in hunting the peace i find in the outdoors! the meat is almost a side effect lo. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  08:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Connie -
If you get a chance, come over to the Outpost forum (Jo has been piping in over there lately). You two have a lot in common, and it sounds like the Outpost is right up your alley.
See you over there!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  09:32:08 AM  Show Profile
Yes Connie...you will love it over there!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  12:31:40 PM  Show Profile
I don't hunt, but am so thankful that my husband does.... and I never thought that I would say that!!! We are almost out of the venison that filled our freezer for the year.

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  08:31:26 AM  Show Profile
I am for the first time in my life, going to get deer tags. Here in KS, we can get 1 buck and 4 doe. And NO, I am not going to get all dressed up in hunting gear and go sit in the woods in the cold. I am going to sit on my front porch. I don't have to have a licence. Too old. The only reason I'm getting the tags is so I can take them to the butcher to be processed.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  09:46:44 AM  Show Profile
OH, the passing of time and the turning of seasons. Is it time to start thinking of deer again? DH has taken me out to the range to practice on clays. I thought I was doing so well, until he told me I'd hit 3:10. I'm hoping to try some duck, pheasant, or maybe even quail this year. Turkeys have come to our place, but I haven't seen them back yet this year. Our field was summer fallow, so I think that had something to do with it. Richer pickin's elsewhere.

Belle, I love the image of you sitting on the porch! I hope you post a picture of your stake-out, or is it steak out? :) My SIL would love to blast the does that come in to gobble up her garden, but she's too close to town and only youngsters can take a doe here. Wonder if a starter pistol would scare them off? Does anything scare off a determined doe? :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  10:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
michelle you can scare them off and they will come back when you arent looking lol.
belle i wouldlike to hunt moose that way. there is one (a cow) with my name on her! she coudlnt be satsified with eating a large portion of my garden 2 yrs in a row, she just had to push her luck and eat my LILAC! sadly i forgot to put in for the cow drawing in our area so cant get her this year.
we are heading out for caribou hunting in the morning. this is the first time i have hunted them but hubby has a couple of times with no luck. i hear they are really scattered but plentiful this year. we can each get one of either sex so hoping for 2 this year. i just ran out of moosemeat and that season doesnt open till september. if we really get lucky we will not only get caribou but hopefully a black bear too. black ear season never closes but if ya want to eat them this is the tiem of year that is best (berries to eat) as long as you arent close to a salmon stream. they taste terrible if they have been eating fish. wish us luck! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  12:47:28 AM  Show Profile
I have just about ran out of the elk that my Uncle brought me in January (from Colorado) and the meat from when my friend's 13 year old son got one ( and I got half for butchering it for him )last winter too. I know if my Uncle gets a deer or elk he will bring some when he comes to visit again...and I love being the local free butcher...I always get meat that way too. I wish my husband liked to hunt..or that my grown sons were closer to bring me meat!!
Connie...I have only butchered a black bear (heck..any bear) once...and that was 26 years ago when I lived in Northern Minnesota...my ex got it. Very good. Lots of berries there.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  05:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Ha, just found this topic. I love to hunt. This year I am hoping to try out my bow hunting skills. When I lived in Montana and Idaho I hunted Elk, deer, grouse and turkey. Here in Kentucky its just deer. Hubby brings in most of the meat I do most of the processing. It is so great to have a freezer full and know where your meat came from and how it was taken care of. I sure do miss the elk I have had so many great trips just watching and listening to the elk.
Laura

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
we got back from cribou camp last night! we had planned a 5 day trip and planned to go to a place called chicken (get out your maps ladies, its on the taylor hwy close to the yukon lol) to hunt. plans change lol. we drove up towards central which is less than half the distance and got our caribou by 7:30 am on opening day! considering the terrain just being wheere they were by that timme of day is a real feat! some of the trail was too darned close to straight up and down for my taste! even getting to the ones we shot was a real feat in both skill and bravery! you should have seen us hauling back 2 caribou and 2 people on one four wheeler (it is made to haul 2 people)down that mountain! we were so close to some the day before that we could have used our 44 pistols!! oh how i wanted to shoot one then! but jail time, fines and loss of hunting privelege for life just iust worth it! now comes my least favorite part the cutting it up. i sure wish you were here jenny i would glady give you some! i dont know what i am doing and make such a mess. i am going to try canning some this year so dont have to do anything more than cut it up and put it in the jars lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile
I think I am to trigger happy to hunt. But love to go an support the guys when they go out we usually get to go for 10 days and I get the job of keeping the fire going and cooking over an open fire the guys do all the rest. I love I pack up 10 good books and read one a day and sit and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
diana when i am in camp and not cooking or sleeping i either read or crochet. this trip i was so exhausted that i didnt do anything other than sleep in camp! lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations eskimobirdlady Connie! I know what you mean about the mess. It helps to share the work. DH and his buddies got together one year to butcher their deer. They are all volunteers with the fire department and ambulance. They chose to meet and do their work at the back of the station. It didn't look good at all! Just had to laugh...I guess the dark humor spreads to spouses. Since that "bad idea" we've returned to doing the work at home. It goes slower and I miss the banter, but at least no one will get the wrong idea if they drive by the back of the station.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
alee, brain tanning and smoking will make the most lucious leathers you have ever seen or felt! i had hoped to try it on these caribou i just got but i am so worn out from hunting and cutting meat that i am not gonna get to them once again *sigh* it just kills me to throw them away. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  9:50:42 PM  Show Profile
I mostly fish. The only thing I hunt now is alligators!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  05:56:01 AM  Show Profile
I don't hunt game, really...but I have been known to take aim at a coyote or a snake now and then!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Sep 02 2008 8:54:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  06:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Glory....welcome to the group. Where I used to live we had to really worrry about coyotes so I know what that is like.
Marly..you be careful with that gator hunting!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Outpost: Previous Topic Farmgirl huntresses? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page