Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What does your clothesline look like?-Lavender
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does your clothesline look like?-Lavender Next Topic
Page: of 3

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls!

Please tell us about your clothesline and share pictures if you have some! I have such fond memories of our clothesline growing up...I just asked my DH if he could put a clothesline up for me!

Great tips on LAVENDER, pg.3

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Sep 20 2007 10:25:42 AM

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  7:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I have had one off and on for 20 years. Wish I had one now!
There are less kids at home-less laundry and more landscaping changes since Rita (hurricane) reshaped our land. I'll be looking forward to seeing all of yours though!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  08:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Mine's the traditional metal t-posts with 4 plastic coated lines stretched across. I love to dry my sheets outside, but half the fun is to watch the cows when I hang clothes up. Unfortunately, the clothesline is in the same pasture as the cows. When I hang my clothes up, Elvis, our 2,000 lb. bull, goes straight to them, sticks his nose right in the middle and breathes! A minute or two later, he walks back and forth underneath them, stopping occasionally to sniff. I end up having to rewash everything and putting him in another pasture until my clothes dry, but I just don't have the heart to take this simple pleasure away from him! A little extra work in this case brings me lots of simple smiles and laughter. Wouldn't trade it for the world! (I've tried hanging an old blanket out there, but he sniffs it once then walks away unimpressed. I guess it has to do with the laundry detergent, the fabric softener,the dampness or a combination!)

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  08:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi farmgals! I usually post to the sewing forums but I just put up a clothesline! I am in the city now but I had a place by my back porch to string one up. The smell of the fresh clean wet clothes is what I missed from my childhood on a farm.
I work on decorating the clothspins via sewing/craft forum. Lately I look for something to wash just for the pleasure of hanging them out.
Mine is from the outide of our brick apartment building and hooks to the post that holds my satelite dish. LOL
Still works and holds most of a load of wash.
I want to see pics of some and I will take pic soon of mine!

Jesus is a feminist! Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  09:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I have a clothes line out back, but I dont know how to describe it. CarolSue said its old, and it certainly looks it.

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  09:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh, this is fun ladies! Just love reading your postings! "Elvis" sounds like a hoot! Would love to see a picture of his "sniffing" moments! Even a cow loves the smell of fresh laundry!

To this day I still have dreams of it raining and blowing our clothes off the clothesline into the sky! During a sudden rain storm I remember many times Mommy yelling "please help me get the clothes off the clotheline!" All 5 of us kids and Mommy ran to the back yard, and snapped the clothes off so fast that the clothespins flipped into the air! Then the thunder would roar, we made our piercing screams and then ran into the house soaking wet! What fun those summer storms were!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  10:30:52 AM  Show Profile
Here's mine. My husband built it for me.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  10:47:03 AM  Show Profile
I use to have the potable "Umbrella" style clothes line, but gave it away when we moved.
I do have a retractable one, but have not installed it yet. so for now I use a bar that my hubbie put up in the mudroom for me.
I rememeber, back when we lived in New Britin, Conn., one warm winter, mom did an early load of laundry, hung it outside, then a wee bit later it started to get really cold & snow, by the time we got the laundry inside, everything was stiff as a board! To funny.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile
I asked for one this year for Mother's Day. So dh strung 3 lines up between our wood shed and the pantry (which is an addition someone added on to the kitchen many years ago) with cotton line and eye hooks into the buildings. It's a great, out-of-the-way spot on the north side of my kitchen that the dogs can't get to. My washer is in the kitchen and I just go out the back door and there it is. My sheets and pillows and everything smell so wonderfully fresh. I just love my new clothesline.

However, my neighbor on that side hates it and thinks it's tacky. She often turns her sprinklers on after I've hung clothes out. So, I leave the clothes out there even longer (until they're dry) and that makes her even madder! I might go to Hades for purposely agravating my neighbor.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  1:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Christine- your clothesline is picture perfect- I can almost smell the "fresh" from all the way down here!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  4:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Cristine I LOVE your clothesline and beautiful yard!!! Thanks for sharing your clothesline with us! Love your postings farmgirls! Please share your memories!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  5:00:43 PM  Show Profile
My husband's buddy at work has bought a new home. He is giving us the clothes line poles! They are the round ones...I'll just grow some sweetpeas up them next year.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  5:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Mine are full right now and sagging. I asked my dh to make me some props so the sheets don't hang so low. I have always had a clothes line from when we were very first married and that's the first thing I made sure my yard had each time we moved - which thankfully wasn't too many, but it was still a necessity. And yes, I can remember hanging my diapers out in the winter and bringing in white boards, but once they thawed they were the best smelling diapers any baby could wear.

At out new place, it's right out the back door, which is nice and it will be even nicer when I get a porch that goes straight out from the door. Now it's a little awkward since it's a lean-to covered area and the door is on the side. It's hard to describe, but it's not that urgent I just walk around the house and it gives me a little more exercise. Actually since we've moved back to the country, we haven't even hooked up my dryer yet and I'm almost thinking that I'm going to sell it and make room for a deep freezer instead. I've hung clothes in the winter before I can do it again. And if it gets really bad, I'll string a line along the back porch which is enclosed.

But I'm with you girls, there is nothing better than line dried clothes, I've been doing it since I was a kid with my grandma and my mom and I don't plan to quit.

I have a question, though, what's your preference on bath towels? Do you like them soft from the drier or a little rough from the line? I prefer them from the line even though they are alittle rough and stiff, but it feels good to buff the skin when I get out of the shower. How about you?

And that's a great story about you bull, Julie, I can see how that would be so enjoyable - and interesting - to watch, hang onto that story for generations to come.

Blessings to you all.

In His hands,
LYnda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  7:24:06 PM  Show Profile
We currently live with my mother-in-law, and she does have a clothesline, which I use frequently in above-freezing weather. It has a pulley on either end. It is connected on one end to the back porch post. The line hangs over a small yard, running across to the maple tree where the second pulley is hanging. It is in the open air, so it gets plenty of fresh air, breezes and sunshine. I did try hanging a quilt outside in the winter, on a sunny day, but it came in frozen stiff and ended up in the dryer anyway. We had a clothesline in the back yard when I was growing up, and my mom always hung clothes out. I guess it just seems natural for me to do the same!

Holly

visit my blog at http://handittoholly.blogspot.com

Edited by - wallflower on Aug 28 2007 7:24:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  8:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Christine.......I love your clothesline too!!

I have an "umbrella" style clothesline and it is ok but I wish I had one like Christine's!! That is the kind I remember having when I was growing up. I happen to be the only person in my area that has one and I am often asked by neighbors why I hang laundry outside.....they don't understand!!
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Ours is tiny and cute- just a cord from one post to a tree. But it looks great with fresh clean diapers all lined up on it! :)

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  9:33:14 PM  Show Profile
LOVE your clothesline & drying rack Katrina!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  11:45:56 AM  Show Profile
My darling husband is a power lineman (for the county, everybody sing...) and he recycled trashed power poles and crossarms to make me the BEST clothesline ever, complete with special insulators (see pictures). By the way (BTW), I wrote an article for my garden club newsletter that i reissued in the International Herb Association (I'm on the board of directors) journal about my laundry yard and gardens. If any of you are interested in reading this piece I will post it here. Just email me at circlekengland@msn.com or post your interest here. I don't want to post things that are not of interest so that's why you've got to ask. I love drying laundry on my power dryer!
Cheers, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  12:13:43 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful!!! I would love to read your article!!!! Oh! and welcome to the farm!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  4:33:21 PM  Show Profile
What a great clothesline you have Karen! Very original! My brother-in-law worked for Edison and we loved all the "old" insulators! Your clothes will smell heavenly with the lavendar plants close by! I also would love to read your article.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Sep 13 2007 09:06:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  8:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Ok Mima and Maryjane Lee and others, here is my article. Thankyou for asking. So happy to be a farmgirl with you. Cheers, karen

Originally published in the International Herb Association Journal and Vista Garden Club Newsletter 01-20-07
by KAREN ENGLAND
www.EDGEHILLHERBFARM.COM

Most gardeners, but not me, do not think of doing laundry as part of gardening or of the outdoor clothesline as a piece of garden art. That’s a shame. Where does one put a “solar dryer”, as the clothesline has been renamed, but in the garden? Some municipalities have laws forbidding outdoor clotheslines. Oh my! The French have a long history of “laundry yards”, designed to be conveniently situated near the washhouse, where lavender and rosemary beds were planted for the sole purpose of drying linens in the sun. Pure genius. What do we have? Machines. My machine says “High Efficiency” but I wonder? If you compare the laundry that I dry outside to the laundry I dry in the machine, I always prefer the line dried. Yes, the machine gets the towels fluffier, but no dryer gets your towels to smell of fresh air, ozone or sunshiny freedom. I’ll take that over fluffy any day.

My clothesline was my only piece of garden art until recently when I bought an old church steeple for my prayer garden. My husband, the “power lineman” who works for our local power company, built me the world’s stoutest, longest, & most adorable clothesline ever (see photos). It is, for the uninitiated, a power pole clothes dryer, and not a telephone pole dryer. I planted around it, ala’ French Laundry Yards of old, ground cover rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis 'Prostratus' and four types of Lavender. Three of the types of lavender were a bust and I am going to replant all the lavender this year with all one type, “Sweet Lavender” - Lavandula hetrophylla, using a better way to plant lavender, in a mound for better drainage, that I learned at the Lavender Fields in Valley Center, CA. Moreover, on these herbs I dry pillows, blankets and anything heavy enough not to blow away and they absorb the fragrant essential oils of the rosemary and lavender as they dry. I have designed a clothespin weight, much like a picnic tablecloth weight, to keep lightweight linens from parachuting off & away in the wind, that works to some extent but I am still perfecting this.

I do, & have, so many things in common with gardening and laundry, that for me they are naturally related. I check the weather channel to see if I’ll be gardening and hanging laundry out to dry on any given day. (Fortunately, I live in an area that allows me to use my clothesline & garden most days, even in January.) I use the wheelbarrow to take clippings to the chipping pile, etc, as well as, take wet laundry from the washing machine in the garage out to the clothesline. I, of course, wash the wheelbarrow first! (I also made a liner for wheelbarrow as added protection for the laundry). A couple times a year I drag my living room rug out to the clothesline and I use a garden fork, that I got at Smith and Hawken to beat the living (room) daylights out of it ‘til it is clean. Honestly, who needs a rug beater? If I feel that a more conventional (?) clean is in order, then I turn on the garden hose and blast the rug clean with “nature’s greatest solvent” using the same nozzle I use to water the rosemary & lavender. I have to wear my hat, sunscreen, rattlesnake amulet, boots, etc… to do the laundry just as I do to garden. While I’m out there, after I’ve hung a load of wash on the line, I prune, weed, feed, stomp snails, etc… because it’s all the same garden.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  11:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Karen,
what a great "musing",,,,& I love your "solar dryer".
You are so right about taking advantage of the herbs in your "laundry garden"to have wonderul smelling garments. Even the Victorian ladies did so.
I also make "lavender tea water" by steeping lavender buds in a coffee(clean of course) filter, then putting it in a spray bottle to spritz my laundry as well as use it as an ironing water. I use distilled water & refridgerate the left over lavender water for up to 1 week in the fridge.( filter/strain it several times)
I miss not having a solar dryer(for now) But look out next spring, I will have a new one or at least my
re-tractable one up & ready for business....
Karen, luv UR site... I so miss my lavender & scented gerainium plats that I had back on SoCal...Hope I can get them to grow up here in Wash.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Sep 12 2007 11:49:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  07:19:16 AM  Show Profile
love it all!! thanks chessie and katmom!!!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  09:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Love your article Karen! It was even relaxing to read! I love the idea of putting clothes on the rosemary and lavendar bushes! Those are my favorite herbs and I would love my special pieces to smell heavenly! Grace, thanks for the lavendar water recipe! Girls, have a wonderful day and take a deep breath, ahhhhhhhh!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  10:08:35 AM  Show Profile
I just posted a picture of my new "recycled materials" clothes pin bag so I'll post it here too, as my little single line clothes line shows in it - not really big enough, but better than nothing. I'll see if I have a picture of my Montana clothes line - much bigger!!

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile
OK I found a picture of our lines in Montana that I took to show DH (who was working out of state) that we needed to use different kind of clothesline - it was s---t--r--e--t--c--h--i--n--g
a lot when I hung up heavy things. We have since replaced it with plastic coated wire.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does your clothesline look like?-Lavender Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page