Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What does your clothesline look like?-Lavender
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does your clothesline look like?-Lavender Next Topic
Page: of 3

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  10:56:11 AM  Show Profile
What a treat your clotheslines are Sherri!!!!! And your clothespin holder is sooooooo darling! I diffently need to make one now!

LOVE the quilts on the line to!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Sep 13 2007 3:16:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:03:44 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
I am so glad to see you here! I moved to Spokane 3 years ago from San Diego, where I was president of the San Diego Herb Club for many years and you have been a speaker for the club. (I am known as Judith Scarborough in the club, to differentiate from Judy Dunning.) I remember the evening you spoke on herbal teas and brought so many selections of herbs and everyone was invited to make their own blend for a cup of tea, using the qualities of the teas and herbs you had just taught us about to create our own blend. You also taught me to use low-fat or non-fat milk for my tea, a practice I continue, and I do so enjoy my tea. On the few times I have no milk and use a dash of cream, I can really taste the difference!
The pictures of your clothesline and the article are very nice - and I must say, you ARE brave to hang clothes out in rattlesnake country, but good on you, girl! And bless your dear hubby's heart for building you such a sturdy clothesline, and then adding the finishing touch of insulators! I am planning to move my line and when I do, I will plant more lavender around it. Unfortunately, I rosemary doesn't do well in the winter up here, but lavender will manage.
Thanks again for the great article and photos.
And Sherri, your clotheslines are great also...love the photo of the Montana line...sagging...glad you got that one fixed.
Just love the solar dryers! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:31:44 AM  Show Profile
Karen, my dh and I were in Vista last year - he works for a construction company and was working on the Coaster, commuter train. We stayed in our RV in Escondido - the closest place that had an opening to Vista. I loved shopping in your area - there is EVERYTHING there!!

Edited by - mikesgirl on Sep 14 2007 10:59:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:59:26 AM  Show Profile
Sherri,
I have noticed several quilts in your pics, so did you make them?
I love quilting, mostly crazy and hand applique.
Shirley

How is the fair going?
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Yep, there are two quilts in the picture and one scrap afghan all made by yours truly. The one that you can see on the left, with just squares, was one of my very first quilts, made about 30 years ago with all recycled materials. The squares were worn out clothes, the filler an old blanket, and the back a sheet blanket. The top is starting to deteriorate, but I can't give it up!

The fair is exhausting!! Yesterday was my first day off and I was whipped - I couldn't do anything but sit around. What is it that makes it so exhausting? You just stand around and help customers?
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  3:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Judy! My heart is singing because of your note. How touching that you remember my presentation so well and are such a good "student" to still be implementing what you learned. I just saw Judy D. last week when she attended yet another one of my presentations. I've lost count at how many crowds I have looked out on in the last few years only to see her sweet face. Last week She told the room she was my "groupie" - so cute! I am fairly new to posting in general and really new here specifically and it is so fun to have reconnected with someone I know. You have posted a lot it looks like. What are your favorite sections here? Aprons, garden gate, etc...I recently posted a picture of me taken at one of my speaking engagements last week. It can be found under "across the fence" / "what do you look like" http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4073&whichpage=21 although i scrolled through that thread getting to know my new farmgirl friends i don't rmember seeing you? If i missed your picture, let me know where it is, Thanks. & if you haven't posted your picture yet, please do! It's fun to see everybody. Cheers for now, Karen
P.S. Please keep Carole B. from SDHC in your prayers as she is in the hospital. Might be home by now but still needs to recover nonetheless. -k

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  9:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey JudyBlueEyes,
Have you tried growing your Rosemary in a pot, topiary style so you can bring it in, in the winter?
I love Rosemary in a garden, I applaud the Victorian Ladies, who were smart enough to plant scented plants/flowers like lavender, rosemany, lemon balm etc, by a doorway & along garden pathes, so that when they brushed up by the plants, it gave of a wonderful scent.
My favorite thing to do is dry my hankies on my lavender plants.
Oh and a combination of dried spearment & lavender makes a great tea! I received some from a very special MJF sister in an apronswap.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  6:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Karen and Grace!
Karen, thanks for the link to your picture-yup, that's you! I haven't posted one of me yet, as I am more of a "technotard..." and haven't mastered that yet. I can get photos up on webshots, and that's about it! But now I sort of know how to use the timer function on my camera, so maybe I can figure something out...I'm sorry to hear Carol B is sick again - she has had more problems, bless her heart! The first SDHC meeting I went to was at her house and she gave us a tour of her gardens and I was just overwhelmed at all the herbs she had - and KNEW what they were and what they were good for! I will definitely keep her in my prayers.
Grace, I _do_ still have a little rosemary in a pot that I brought from California with me, and it is still hanging in there as I do bring it inside in winter. But it doesn't do much for scenting the laundry...so that's why I figured I'd put more lavender around my clothesline when I move it, as that will come back. Oh, and Grace, I wanted to share that you can use the stems of the lavender to make your linen water...saving the flowers for sachets or "pretty" crafts. The stems still have lots of scent and will make great linen tea.
AND, progress on on moving my clothesline - my friend came over this afternoon and she (mostly) and I demolished that old aluminum shed that was in the way...it was old and rusted and had some wasps inside (yuck!) - but we hammered and bashed and got it down! Now I need to take a week off work to do the rest of what I want to do out there *grin* like THAT would happen! Oh well. I gotta go get clothes off the line now, so bye! Judy

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on Sep 16 2007 6:46:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  11:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Judy,
I absolutly hate those nasty yellowjackets, I have been stung while washing windows.
Thanx for the tip on the lavender stems. In all my readings I've never come across that. How cool!
At the local nursery that I have been helping out at, they had me prune back all the lavender plants & the best part was that I got to keep all the cuttings which I now am drying.
See ya on Thursday.

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  10:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace-katmom, your lavender smells heavenly! What kind of lavendar plant did you use that you tucked inside the apron you made me? I want to plant some so I can dry my hankie's on top of it to!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  08:26:56 AM  Show Profile
MJL,
It's a blend of Grosso & Provance ~ Lavendula, that's all I remember.
I planted those two types of lavender about 5-6 years ago but have since forgotten the particulars about them.

Hey Judy Blue Eyes, any suggestions on what types are best suited for the southren end of So.Cal?

At the Nursery that I have been working at lately, they have Lavendula & Agustafolia...they also have the White lavender that I am not familiar with. It's not as fragrant as the purples (lavendulas).
The benifits of working there is I get to prune the lavender & other flowering plants & take the cuttings & blooms home. So since I do not have a garden up here (yet) it makes me feel like I do.

I am meeting Judy for lunch today so I will pick her brain about the different lavenders. She is much better versed in lavender & herbs.

MJ, have ya been to Kern yet? I want pic's. SOTF-WA. has a trip this week end but my DH is back in CA. till mid next week so I am home
w/ the furbabies.

hugz,
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Sep 20 2007 08:31:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  09:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace and MJL,
Well, I think in Murrietta, just about any kind of lavender would work. If you consider it is basically a Mediterranean plant, that has adapted nicely to other climates, then Murrietta would be perfect. When I lived in San Diego, I grew lots of different varieties. Grosso has long stems and great fragrance, and that is what I will plant around when I move my clothesline. I toyed around with the white lavender, and "pink," but my "pink" lavender still looked pretty purple to me, so I stick with what is growing well for me, and giving me the big return - and I have at least half a dozen Grosso plants now, along with some Munstead and I honestly don't remember what else. It loves our hot summers in Spokane and sleeps peacefully under a blanket of snow (protected with mulch and straw!) during the winter.
Grace, I'll find out what nursery you're working at when we have lunch today...you know there is Garden Gate Lavender right out in Medical Lake, down the street from Julia Hayes. If not, I'll tell you for sure. She sells plants and products, www.gardengatelavender.com.
Good luck with your "laundry lavender planting" MaryJane...let us know! Judy

Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  10:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Dear MaryJAne lee, Since you are in my neck of the woods I think i'll mention that I will speaking in san diego very soon on behalf of the lavender Fields of Valley Center all about "Cooking with Lavender", talk has a Tea bent to it, and i always have to talk about growing it as well, which lavenders taste best, which rebloom etc. If you would like a invitation (really an advertisement) from me to this event just let me know. BTW i have friends flipping a house in murrieta right now. I am thinking of going to see it. if i do i'll let you know, we could have a farm girl meet-up if the scheduling was right. cheers, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  3:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank You Ladies so much for the info!

Grace, how fun you work at a nursery! Plant/flower clippings are a good thing! You are ajusting well to your move girlfriend! I leave next week for the Sisters on the Fly trip! I will Flyfish for the first time and I am taking the sweet apron you made me! Wish you were coming...

Judith, thanks for your expertise on the lavender! Murrieta is warm/hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I have seen lots of lavender here, so I hope it grows on my little spot of land! I just love the smell and would love to have it close to my clothesline...

Karen, please send over a invite! I would love to come and hear you speak! I want to learn more about lavender. If you are ever up this way in Murrieta, I would love to meet up with ya!

Have a wonderful "wash" day all!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"Sisters on the Fly"

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Sep 20 2007 3:40:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  10:02:10 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane #595,
I am green & purple w/envy(in a good way) that you will be meeting up w/Maurrie....
Have a great time Fly Fishing. I am just your plain old stream fishinggirl,,,,I do it for the relaxation and the wonderful sounds of the river running past me. #472

Had lunch w/Judy and she told me about Karen. I hope you get the opportunity to meet up with her(Karen).

Karen~Chessie, If you are ever up this way to speak, let us know. I want a front row seat!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Sep 20 2007 10:04:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

sgrbear724
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rebecca
Tyrone PA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  11:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I asked my hubby if he could make me a more 'unique' clothesline. I wanted to be able to have my children help (as they always wanted to) with the laundry-but since they are still quite little, they couldn't reach. So, I designed one that had a lower line for the kidlets. Here is a link to a photo I took of it this summer. It had gotten LOTS of use. My four year old hangs all the baby clothes, socks and undies and I hang the BIG stuff.

http://zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com/2007/07/two-faithful-workers.html

Works like a charm! :-)

http:www.zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  8:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca,
What a sweet photo of your daughter hanging up laundry on "her" special
clothes line.
Thanx for sharing the moment with us.

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  9:27:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rebecca! What a darling picture of your daughter and clothesline!!! Priceless! Your picture should be the cover of a magazine! Looks like she is enjoying wash day!!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"Sisters on the Fly"

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Sep 22 2007 10:42:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

sgrbear724
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rebecca
Tyrone PA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  06:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! My Corynn helps me hang laundry every single day. And the funny thing? She insists upon belting out the song MATCHMAKER (from Fiddler on the Roof) because the girls sang it while THEY were hanging out laundry.... :-)

http:www.zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh... now I can't wait to get my clothes line up... I have missed my line!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll are soooo cool!
You motivated me to get my clothesline back up!!
I even made a cute clothespin bag!!!
Tks for the encouragement!!!

Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  2:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, I'll say that bag is cute! did you do the embroidery by hand? quilt is also beautiful, did you make it? God bless you, Karen

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  2:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Karen-
Don't dis-own me I used a red sharpie marker-
We are in the deep south and mildew is a big problem so I wanted a cute look that I could really use and enjoy. If I had done it by hand(which I have before) I would have been doting on the bag and losing focus on the chore-laundry
-and yes I did do the quilt- it is my personal favorite.
Lots of hand stitching-see the quilt n stitch thread for a close up.
It also is being used.
I'm a big believer in using the SPECIAL things every day for the special people we live with- our families!!
Tks for the compliments!
It's so fun to share these simple things with others.
Blessings!
Autumn

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  5:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, You are a genius! Am gonna use a sharpie and be like you! I use my special things too, it seems silly to me to store things but never use them. I admit that I do lose a lot of my special things by using them, they break, as in tea cups, or fray, as in quilts, but that is a price i'm willing to pay. Keep up the excellent work! Bless your heart, karen

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Karen
One of the most rewarding comments about this was from my oldest daughter.
She was talking about decluttering her house and keeping the GOOD STUFF out-dishes and such- and I asked if she was using her new dishes her husband had recently bought her.
Her answer-"Mom- of course. If there is anything I learned from you it is that the GOOD STUFF is for the special days- every day!!
It's the only day we have.So it is special!Otherwise it doesnt mean anything to anyone."

Made my heart sing
Blessings!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What does your clothesline look like?-Lavender Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page