Next Page
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Chicago area farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 2

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  06:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Are there any farmgirls out there in the Chicago area? I live just outside of Chicago. We do have an 80 acre farm my father bought 40 years ago that is used as a getaway, but moving out there doesn't seem to be a good option for us now. So...I practice my farminess here in Riverside. I grow vegetables, good from scratch, made soap, and am interested in herbalism. Any like minds nearby?

Nicole
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nicole
Evanston IL
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  7:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judi,
good to know other like minds are nearby. I wish my dad's farm was close enough I could go there more frequently on weekends.
We live in a tiny townhouse in evanston, but we do have a private yard with enough sun for some veggies and herbs. This is my second year of a perennial garden from seed. Most of my flowers are also medicinal, but don't really have enough to use - really just to enjoy their beauty for now: echinacea, korean licorice mint, purple balloon flower (latter two are used in chinese herbalism for stomach flu and cough/phlegm respectively), yarrow, lavendar, sage, thyme. If we are still here next year we may start some chickens. I guess you don't need alot of space to connect with the earth. What do you like to grow? I'd love to learn how to make soap, any tips on where to get recipes?

Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air, to eat and sleep with the earth - Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  7:18:14 PM  Show Profile
My husband gave me a soapmaking book several years ago which had some very basic recipes. I will get the name, but I think there are probably better ones around. I've only made one batch so far, using palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil and sodium hydroxide, and it turned out very well. I need to make more soon.

I grow many types of fruits and vegetables. Snow peas, beets, beans, tomatoes, chard, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, melons, cukes, strawberries, raspberries, lettuce, spinach, peppers, potatoes, as well as a few culinary and medicinal herbs. I have a couple raised beds in my backyard here, and a large garden, about 20 feet x 75 feet at our farm. While I try a bit of all of the above, I get varying success. For example, my beets are getting eaten by raccoons, I think. If it ain' the bugs, it's the critters.

I'd like to learn more about herbal treatments. I've used a few with pretty good success. I've made a cough syrup, treated warts with banana peels, and made some congestion stuff. I was thinking of finding a low-stress correspondense course. I like to read, but I'd also like some structure.

I am going to Evanston tomorrow. I use to be a graphic designer in my former life, and retained one client, Presbyterian Homes. It's food to meet you via the internet, and please pass on any herbal successes you may have had.
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  9:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hello ladies!!
I used to work in chicago at the Mart. I live just off the toll road in laporte IN. Did you happen to read this past sundays tribune article about MJF??There were a couple paragraphs about how i came across MJF.....anyway...I live on a 7 acre farm and am starting a farmgirl chapter here in this area. I know Kim lives in Hinckley,IL dont know how close you all are but...welcome!!!!!I hope this will help you connect with other farmgirls in the city/Chicagoland area!!
I am interested in herbs ,grow a few..and am hoping to learn more in the future!!I just connected with a lady who plants the pioneer garden here at our local county fair.she is a member of the master gardeners here in Laporte and is interested in heirloom varieties. They had an impressive variety of kitchen, medicinal and household and dye herbs planted.very interesting....
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  05:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Susan,
Yes, I saw the article, and saw your portion of it...it must be so exciting to see yourself in print! I drive through Hinckley every time we go to our farm (which includes a mandatory stop at the Dairy Joy). I think you two are real farm girls, instead of wanna-be's like us city girls. It's hard to find friends in the city who share our interests. I bounced an idea off of some women in our town about a business for some empty storefront space; supplies for home brewing, canning, winemaking, preserving, soapmaking, etc. They looked at me like I was crazy. "Who wants to make soap?" they literally asked me. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  06:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, ladies! I'm new to the forum, though I've been lurking for a couple weeks now. I'm in Dekalb, IL, which is just north(ish) of Hinckley. I believe Kim is starting a Farmgirl chapter out here, in case you Chicago types are interested. Judi, can I ask what town your farm is near?

I'm not *technically* a farmgirl right now, as I live in a little apartment (with NO yard of my own!!), but I grew up on a small farm in northern IL with cows & pigs & chickens & horses & the biggest garden you've ever seen & the whole nine yards. Ohhhh, how I miss it!! I'm now very happily married with two little people of my own, and I desperately wish for a small farm out in the corn somewhere. Nothing big, just enough house for my family & I and enough yard for my children to run & play & explore in, and maybe a small flock of chickens (and possibly a pig or two...and maybe a sheep?). My interests are definitely of the old-time farmgirl variety, like canning & cooking & crocheting & embroidery. I homeschool my darling little weasels, also, and have a very small soap & toiletry business on the side.

I'm really very excited to have found this site...everyone seems so wonderful, kind, helpful & accepting. It's very good to meet all of you, and I really look forward to getting to know you better!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  07:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I have a second cousin in DeKalb!, and if you have farmgirl dreams in your heart, you are techinically a FarmGirl!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  08:14:08 AM  Show Profile
I feel like a poser calling myself a farmgirl. I live in an apartment in the city, but I really love to cook from scratch using natural ingredients, and I really want to learn how to garden and sew someday. I've bought MaryJane's book, and bakeovers are an absolute revelation.

e-mail me at ivmeer@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  08:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Amanda!
Get over this "poser business"!!! Let me tell you I dont have any
chickens or goats or sheep out here on my 7 acres and my garden is small compared to most everybody out there that is gardening.. Its all about whats in your heart and THAT is what matters and the fact that you are welcome here to talk about these things whenever you want. Nobody here is going to question your qualifications!!!!
so welcome to the flock,chick!!!!We're glad you're here!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  3:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
My farm is near Amboy. I went to college at Northern, so I know DeKalb. I hope you can get a patch of land someday...could you perhaps rent a small area from a farmer near you to garden? It'd probably be no trouble to them, and give you and your kids a good project... and you something to can! I bet a lot of farmers wouldn't mind letting a family rent a small square of land for a very reasonable rate. Just think of the herbs you could grow for your soaps!

Speaking of which, where do you market your soaps? Are you within a decent drive of Sterling? They have just opened a farmers market there (some friends of mine have been involved in it since it's inception) and I'd bet they could use more vendors, if that's what you do.

Amanda, where do you live?

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  4:03:01 PM  Show Profile
I know Amboy, Judi! I drive past there on a fairly regular basis...my chiropractor is in Mendota. I grew up in LaSalle County, too, and had a few friends from Amboy as well. What a small world!

Dekalb actually has public garden plots for rent each year, and they're really pretty close to where I live. I haven't taken advantage of that program yet, due to the lack of transportation & the size of my wee ones (still fairly little yet), but I think if we're not moved by next spring, I may just do that! I'm betting my boys would love it.

Right now, again due to transportation & rugrat issues, I mainly market my soaps & things to friends & family, with the occasional holiday-time craft show thrown in. The Sterling market is definitely something to keep in mind for the future, though...thank you so much!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  5:54:28 PM  Show Profile
Okay, now you guys make me feel guilty! I used to do these things, many years ago. At one time I grew about 100 different varieties of veggies, fruits, and herbs organically. I had a couple of beautiful Jersey dairy cows, raised milk fed pork, and had dual purpose hens. We made cheese, butter, ice cream, canned, froze and dried our produce, kept a root cellar in our 140 year old farmhouse, and life was good.

Then I got horses.

I love my horses, I really do! I train in a barn not far from me, and have six at home, too. The above used to take a ton of time, but horses take even more. My garden grew over, I sold the cows when hubby's cholesterol was high, and I got so stinking sick of eggs it was years before I could eat another one.

But as I sit here out on my deck, listening to the evening birdsong and watch the lowering sun turn my barn an even deeper shade of red, I do remember and long for those things. I just don't know where I'd fit it all in again!

I live out in the corn about 25 miles south of Celtic Coyote. She's my daughter.

Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  6:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Helloooo Mary Ann! Love your handle/username. Your (past) life makes me very jealous.

Glad to see you on the board!
Kathy

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
-- e.e. cummings
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  6:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, that sounds so cool. Maybe more than I could ever do, but cool. If I ever have the opportunity to do a few of the things you mentioned, you'll be a great resource. I love horses also. We used to have a few at our farm, but i sold my last one when I got very busy with my son, career, etc. But now I'm a stay at home mom with two young girls and would like to get horses again. But I need to work out some logistics. I'm hoping for next year.

What town are you near? 25 miles south of DeKalb?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  6:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judi....welcome!!
I am no where near Chicago..I am in the middle of Utah. Would like to suggest my favorite soap making book though.."Soap making it, Enjoying it" by Ann Bramson.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  05:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny, I'll take a look at it. I plan to make a new batch soon.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  10:14:05 AM  Show Profile
Goody, more members to join the Illinois Prairie Chapter!!!!!!!!!!
I am in Kansas until September for work, but as soon as I get back let's all meet up and get this going! I have a chapter kit at home. i tried to bring all of my Mj stuff with me but I didn't have a lot of extra room in my suitcase

I'm a wanna be farmgirl. I live in the country but no farm...YET! I can dream!!! As MJ says "It's a condition of the Heart!"

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  3:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Judi, I'm outside of a little town called Earlville, with corn or beans on all four sides. Where are you?

Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  09:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls!! You are talking about all my most favorite things...I am not near Chicago..I am in Central Illinois -near Peoria..We bought a old farmhouse last December and my dreams came true..I have a rather large garden this year and picked green beans for canning today..I too am very interested in herbs and was able to get a few planted but it has been rough keeping them alive due to no rain here. I also would love to make soap and other things from herbs. I have 2 doe goats and would like to make goat milk product someday but dont think I am ready for kidding..I only became a true country girl a few months ago ..One step at a time~~~
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  05:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann,
I was just in Earlville yesterday, picking up some meat from the Hoffmans. I was passing through going home to Riverside (only a few miles outside of Chicago) from my farm in Amboy. You say you have corn and beans on four sides? I think I saw your house!!

Jan...I'm glad your dreams came true...where did you move from? Were you a city girl before? How is your garden doing? I have a pretty big garden at my farm and a smaller one in Riverside. I also am trying some herbs. Cilantro and dill are tough, but basil is doing great! Just made a batch of pesto to freeze last night!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:43:26 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Ya'll make me nostalgic with all of your talk of Illinois and the Chicago area. I was born near Rockford, Illinois and grew up in small towns in the area. I now live on a tiny farm in Texas, but Illinois is where it all started for me.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

kellygirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kelly
Chicago IL
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Send kellygirl an AOL message  Send kellygirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello all. Looking to make new friends here in Chicago. All of you farmgirls at heart give me a holler, maybe we can start a group right here in the city!!
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  6:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Kelly,
Sounds good to me! I think that a city group would be good. So far we only have a couple of responses from the city/suburbs, but who knows? Tell us about you!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  7:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jan -- I lived in a little town outside Peoria called Chillicothe before I moved to the West Coast 20 years ago. One of the best places on earth to live.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Nicole
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nicole
Evanston IL
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  7:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, don't feel like a poser. Some of us barely have the opportunity to connect with the earth through planting a petunia. But another good way is cooking with natural ingredients from scratch, eating seasonal foods and supporting local farmers as much as possible. We go to the evanston farmers market every saturday and are shareholders in Angelic organics-a community supported agriculture farm near Rockford. They deliver a box to drop off sites in chicago and suburbs once per week. We are part of cow share program and every 7 weeks drive up to wisconsin to get raw milk and eggs. Ever been to the Green city market?. Did you learn mandarin in SHanghai? I went in '95 so am very rusty now. Did you go to the countryside in china at all? I just drove through, but took a chinese passenger boat down the yangtse for 5 days from sichuan to shanghai. Amazing how people farm the slopes with terraces and alot of manual labor...farmers are peasants there, but community is very strong. I was impressed with that - people's sense of community even in a city of 13 million.
Nicole

Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air, to eat and sleep with the earth - Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile
Kay-
Sure I know Chillicothe! It is about 20 min from Peoria in the other direction from me-I work in Peoria and I live in Glasford which is approx 30 minutes from Peoria. Do you know Bartonville...Mapleton..? I live just past there.
I bet alot has changed in Chillicothe in 20 years!! Do you ever make it back this way? I bet WA is beautiful~~And by the way...I love your sign in "therusticcottage" Do you cottage garden?
Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Chicago area farmgirls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page