Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Help! Defrosted 1 lb sausage NOT ground beef!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help! Defrosted 1 lb sausage NOT ground beef!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  12:54:21 PM  Show Profile
I had planned on making burgers tonight on the grill, but I noted when I went home for lunch that I had defrosted pork sausage, not ground beef. So, I don't want to waste it, but I am somewhat limited in my "sausage" use, outside of breakfast items. We had chili last night, any other ideas?

I really don't want to waste it--I looked on Epicurious, but didn't find anything that fit my "tastebuds" today.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You could use the sausage to make a spicy jambolyia or creole stew or something like that. Or you could do breakfast-for-dinner :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Sausage gravy over biscuits or mashed potatoes?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Those are both options--I do have some dirty rice mix up in the cupboard to use...I may just do that. Gosh I hate when I screw up!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  8:03:01 PM  Show Profile
How about spaghetti?

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  06:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Well, here's what I ended up with. Even when I went home, I was still sort of uninspired. Sometimes stuff just doesn't sound good, ya know? So, I went on a mission, a kind of a "clean out the fridge" mission, but the result was darn good, if I do say so, myself .

1 lb. ground pork sausage, browned with onion, garlic and some spicy red peppers from the garden. Added some s & p, cumin and cayenne, continue browning. This is really low fat sausage, antibiotic and hormone free, so no need to even drain. I added some cream cheese (3tbs?), and after mixing well, put into a casserole dish. Threw some chopped fresh cilantro over the top, and then shredded a smoked English cheddar dusted with paprika over the cilantro. More cilantro, a few smattering of chopped onions, and then into 350 oven. I also put 4 whole wheat tortillas tightly wrapped in foil in the oven, and baked about 10 minutes, until cheese was bubbly.

Served it up soft taco style, with some fresh chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and guacamole. It was pretty darn good for using what I had in the fridge!!!

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  06:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Yum! That sounds like a great new recipe! I probably would have gone to plan B - made a different meal entirely, and just cooked up the sausage to use the next morning in a sausage gravy or sprinkled on pizza, or if I had all of the other ingredients, made sausage biscuits for snacks another day.

Glad you were able to pull it off!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Aug 28 2007 06:36:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help! Defrosted 1 lb sausage NOT ground beef!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page