Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Beach-themed wedding cake?? Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  09:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi, girls! I have a good challenge for you....

I am in charge of decorating (decorating only, the cake is going to be made by a bakery and brought to the reception totally naked!) my sister-in-law's wedding cake for her Sep. 8th wedding. The cake is a 3 teir (tier?) smooth white frosted deal, stacked- not on elevated legs or anything. She has requested that it be decorated in a beach-theme, with shells and starfish and such. I have found some edible shells I can order to put on it, but I feel like it may be lacking something? Also, I have a sandcastle cake pan that she wants me to make an angel food cake in (she won't even be eating any of the "wedding" cake, as she doesn't like cake) and I am unsure how to display it? On top of the top teir? To the side on a cake stand? I am really afraid of making it look cheesy. Has anyone seen any good ideas? I could really use the extra advice! Thanks!!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  09:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Molly...I just did an image search on google for "beach wedding cake" and saw some great ideas. Maybe you could try that?
Di
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:24:52 AM  Show Profile
the only other thing I could think of are these beautiful swiss chocolates in various star fish and shell shapes. They are gorgeous and tasty to boot. It might be neat to put them around the edges--they're marbled if I remember correctly (looks like chocolate and cream)

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
You could use the sandcastle cake as a grooms cake. Maybe prop it up somehow so it can be seen instead of laying it down. Also, for the wedding cake, you could use some colored sugar or brown sugar for "sand" around the cake's bottom tier. How about little umbrellas, or gumpaste shaped like fish, crabs, starfish? They can be painted with food coloring... Just some thoughts ...Good luck, I'm sure whatever you do, it will be beautiful.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  6:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Our son got married last year and it was beach themed, I found a place on line that makes small sandcastles out of sand and resin and they used that for the cake topper. Her dad did the decorating on it and used sugar shells and starfish and with the sandcastle on top it was really pretty.
hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  6:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Ooo-- great idea Kathy! Do you know the name of the site? I guess I could just Google it, eh?

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:46:52 AM  Show Profile
I will try and find it again. I did find it the first time by googling sand castles. The one my son and his wife chose was about 7 in high by about 5 in wide. Really pretty and they have it out on a table in the living room now.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:52:00 AM  Show Profile
Just looked and found it. www.carmelcurios.com I googled sandcastle sculptures. Hope you find a nice one, we had a lot of fun picking one out. It was shipped quickly and arrived in perfect condition.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:54:35 AM  Show Profile
http://www.weddingwhimsy.com/beachweddingcaketopper.html
Here is another one!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  12:28:37 PM  Show Profile
It would also be cute to somehow incorporate the "message in a bottle". Find a vintage tiny bottle and roll up a message of good wishes and put it in the bottle and place it somewhere near or on the cake. If you put it on the cake you could tilt it in the icing as if it had washed up on shore. The couple could then open it next year when they celebrate their first anniversary.

Or you could even get a lot of little bottles and have everyone do a message for inside them, and put them in a bucket nearby for the couple to take home and read later.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile
oh, and you could use Palm fronds and Hibiscus flowers to decorate the cake table, too. Everyone has seen ivy and roses trailing around the cake.....you could place palm fronds and tropical flowers artfully around the base.

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 25 2007 12:33:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  3:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Gorgeous toppers! Thanks, I hadn't seen those yet. Can't wait to show my SIL! Also, LOVE the message in a bottle idea, Jeannie! I will have to think about how to make that work. There's 800 invitations going out-- too many for everyone's individual wishes, but maybe just the bride and groom's parents or along those lines. Fun fun fun!

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Molly, you could always have cute little slips of paper and pens at the reception tables for the guests to write their messages on, then put all the slips into ONE big bottle for the bride and groom to open later! These are some great ideas!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Beach-themed wedding cake?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page