Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I just bought this tee-shirt (about dogs)!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just bought this tee-shirt (about dogs)!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile
It's the best tee shirt, though I think it's pathetic that in this day and time we would have to put a message like this ON a shirt, but...I digress.

I have a pittie, and I will wear it proudly.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  12:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I like that shirt! I have one I bought last year when this idiotic city was proposing an ordinance banning pits altogether and/or forcing owners to buy a half million dollars worth of insurance, and other stupid requirements. It has photos of people of various ethnicities on the front and a pic of a pitbull. Under the pics is says: 'Racial Profiling is Illegal!'

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I saw a book recently called "Children and their Dogs" it is a book filled with antique photos of children with dogs. They have some in there with _babies_ and pits and a caption that explains how until dog fighting took over the pit breed- they were considered the _best_ children's dog and protector and at one time if you wanted to get a dog for your baby- you got a pit.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile
Uh-oh, Alee, you've gone on an opened the "Jonni Book of Knowledge of American Staffordshire Terriers and Pit Bulls!"

Actually, they were called "The Nanny Dog" because, yes, they did watch over your babies. I actually have a photo of my great aunt, Madge, with her pitty. She's in full Edwardian dress, probably about 3-4 years old, and she's hugging him tightly around his thick neck, with her pretty bowed hat. He also was a working dog on their farm--there are photos of him with a milk pail around his neck walking back from the barns.

I learned so much about them while working at the shelter, because we were the only pit friendly shelter for 100 miles. Our little shelter rescued 10 pits from Katrina because 3 in 5 houses there had them. We adopted every single one out to "approved" and loving homes. Still keep in contact, actually.

I've also both been witness to and have read that they can size a person and their intentions up in a matter of seconds. They are very intuitive, and will let you know right off the bat what they think of you.

I know what most folks think about them, but my boy Finn is my soulmate, and I've heard many a pittie guardian swear they would never have another type of dog. One of the only reasons I watch or read anything about Rachel Ray is because of her love of the breed, and her adorable Isaboo!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You're so lucky to have that photo, Jonni! Those old photos of pits actually sell pretty high on ebay. Love those old photos of pits. Love my pits!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile
I'll scan them in and send them to you, Janice--they would make great scrap book images or something like that. I have several--looks like maybe they were taken on Easter, or something, because of her big bonnet. When we FINALLY remodel the backroom, I'm having them framed together to hang with our other collection of antique dog art.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Those will be wonderful when they're framed. I have pit pictures I've copied from various sources all taped on my office door.(Also a pic of Ken Watanabe from The Last Samurai-how hot was HE in THAT movie...and a color photo of Nancy Jo's JACK and DAVE!).

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile
He WAS too hot, right? What a great collection of stuff on your office door! I bet your co-workers get a kick out of Jack and Dave--I know I sure do!

All I have on my door is a black and white photo ad of Martha Graham from Sixteen Dances that says, "There's not enough Art in our Schools. No Wonder People Think Martha Graham is a snack cracker."

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  2:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
One more question....How far up does your blood pressure go when you think about that Vick guy pleading guilty to the dogfighting charge not because he's penitent or repentant, but ONLY because if he was to go to trial and be convicted on the GAMBLING/BETTING charges, that constitutes a felony, which would mean he COULDN'T PLAY BALL ANYMORE...EVER!!! And of course, now he will be able to go back and he still will be young enough to play again! Okay, rant over!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  2:14:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you Janice. Grrrr!!!
We had a lovely Staffie for many years. the nicest, most gentle, kindest dog you could ever have. And quiet about his protecting the babies. Once I had one of my children in the stroller ,outside,and someone drove up our drive way and the dog just stood between the baby and the visitor, very quietly and just observing, not at all threatening but still obvious what he was meaning. T was only 8 when he died from liver problems and I still miss him. He was the best. One time a lady drove up and shouted at me about my dog biting her daughter. It seems they were riding bikesI said horrified oh no what happened, she said she was calling the police and I said show me the bite and where it happened. T never left the property and she finally said well he looked like he might bite and I told her to go away. Too funny. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  2:23:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh, let me tell you. We had a staff meeting about 3 months ago, when there were just rumors of the allegations. Not being at ALL impressed by high paid sports figures, when I was told by the guys in my office, my first words were "string him up"..."But, he didn't do it!" they chastised. "Yes, he did. String him up", I countered.

I thought, that aside from his apology being written by his attorney, that his apology sucked simply because he never said, "I'm sorry about what I did to living creatures--to innocent animals that never asked to be put in a "pit" or to be put to death by my hand. I am not God, no matter how much I've been led to think that I am." At the end of his life, I hope he's led to wherever he's going by a team of wild, rabid dogs with cattle prods!

My aunt lives near Atlanta, and she read that their local humane society was awash in Michael Vick jerseys to use as "wiping up" cloths for messes the animals make, along with ripped up season tickets and contributions. Made me laugh!!

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  3:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Would love to see your pictures they sound wonderful, but I have to say I am afraid of them. Sorry, and it has to do with the OWNER not the poor dog who was let lose not looked after and not feed properly. Getting major growled at and snapped out with those jaws made this girl darn jumpy. Where we are at they tend to have them for not nice reasons. Just sucks doesn't it!!!!!!!! Not fair to the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  4:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Personally I not afraid of any breed of dog, but I tend to not trust cocker spaniels, and poodles because those are the breeds of dogs that have shown a tendancy to nip in my experience. But I completely buy into the school of thought that you shouldn't ever judge a dog by it's breed but rather by it's actions. About the only time I wouldn't go with that is- I wouldn't probably ever trust a neopolitian mastiff without it's owner near by. They were breed to be people guardians and they take their jobs seriously. They also have been know to kill _bears_ and wolves!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile
Perfect shirt. Our neighbor has a pit and he is the most gentle dog there ever was. They do keep him on a chain, but when he gets loose, my house is the first place he comes to. You haven't been hugged 'til you have a pit come up behind you, lay his paws on your shoulders and lick the back of your head. Ew. But, a slice of cheese and a whistle gets him home every time.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  4:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Great posts, gals! We own a rottweiler, and 11 years ago when DH wanted to get her, I FLIPPED! We went to the breeder and I fell in love. She has been the sweetest, most loving dog you could imagine, and a clown to boot!
I have to say the same things about rotties and kids...a great match when they are raised right. There are even old books out there about a baby and a rottie named carl.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  6:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Here are my photos, girls. It's absolutely alright to be afraid of things, Heck, I'm afraid of schnauzers after being bit all through childhood by "my" dog. Every dog, every animal (well, I've never seen a vicious mouse) has a propensity to be mean, just like humans.

Karin! Your post made me laugh. My pittie, Finn, wraps his front legs around you and just huuugggss until you can hardly stand up. He, too, can be persuaded by cheese! I had to add a photo of just Aunt Madge and her beloved brother, Laurence, too. It's my favorite :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  6:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You've never seen a viscious mouse? I am afraid of rodents after my fingers have been munching sticks for everything from gerbils to shrews!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Great pictures, Jonni. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  12:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- What wonderful pictures! Your Aunt Madge is a sweetie and you can tell how much she loved that dog. He is stunning.
And yes, there's nothing like Kraft Singles to get a dog on your side. :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  03:40:40 AM  Show Profile
OH my! those are precious pictures!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  05:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Great pictures, Jonni. I LOVE old photos. What a great looking dog! I have a pit, Girl. She's a dark brindle Staffordshire. We rescued her from a cousin in Salt Lake. That cousin was going to take her to the pound because she couldn't handle "puppyhood". At that time, Salt Lake Humane Society was putting down all pits, rotts, chows and (I can't think of the name) those other guard dogs that are fairly thin, long legged, and black or dark brown with lighter brown markings?

Anyway, our Girl has been a wonderful guard dog not only for our house, but for our daughter. Girl is now 10 years old (her face is all white now) and is the most lovable dog. She used to scare people that walked by our house when she'd run out to them. But she was only running out to get attention. Once they realized what she wanted they were cool with that. She's quite the ham.

She chased off burglers twice in Salt Lake and a druggie who tried to get in our house here while we were gone. She has always nibbled at the boy's fingers that come around to visit my daughter. She lets them know not to get too close. But she has never once EVER hurt anyone.

She has always been an inside dog and we've spoiled her quite a bit. She has always slept in our bed at our feet and HAD to be covered with a blanket. She hates the cold.

It has always disturbed me that people hate this breed because of the few who have been MADE to be mean. Pits are not born mean they are made that way by their owners. The saddest part about that is that the dogs end up paying for their owners inhumanity. I wish these owners would realize that they don't have to make this breed mean in order to be protected. This dog would do it anyway. My lovable, Girl, almost gave her life when she chased off the druggie. She was hit by a car when she chased him across the street (he lived across the street from me!). She had no broken bones or internal injuries other than severe swelling around her lower spine. But it took her months to completely recover. I know if faced with the same situation, she'd do it all over again.

I love my pit. She's been a wonderful family member. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  06:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Love everything about those photos, Jonni - the dog, the clothes, your aunt Madge(what a cutie!) - and just the black and white photos. Those are going to look fantastic matted,framed and hanging on your wall!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  06:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks...I really enjoyed sharing these photos. She was my favorite aunt, and I never knew much about her childhood until after she passed. These photos give me a little window into her family life. I especially love the photo (of what I'm guessing is when they first got him), with her father, John, and Laurence in the background. Madge must have been just a baby at that point. The photos show a nice progression of age, both Madge and dog.

I agree with everything each of you has said about this breed, and the other "bully breeds". It's devastating what a mob mentality can accomplish.

*Lisa* did you mean Dobermans? If so, I work with a doberman rescue here locally, and they are just the most majestic dogs! Funny, too, that you mentioned your pittie girl doesn't like the cold. My Finn HATES it, and he just shivers, shivers. I made a "sweatshirt" for him, and though it seriously compromises his "cool factor" with the other dogs in his clan, he secretly appreciates it

We have rumblings of BSL (breed specific legislation) every now and again in the 3 counties that make up Northern Kentucky. If these goofballs succeeded in what they want to do, 2 of my precious dogs would be euthanized--our 3 year old full blooded german shepherd, and our pittie, Finn. It's just unthinkable to me. The last time Kenton county created their list, even golden retrievers were on it!!! All large breed dogs, and yes, BeeMoosie, Rotts were on it, too. Pitties, Rotts, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers-a couple more that I can't remember, but all large breed dogs. Don't know about anyone else here, but I've been attacked by more little dogs in my life than big ones. Doesn't make me want to ban those little "purse dogs" everyone is buying!!!!

Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
knitting in the sea on an island RI
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Love that shirt! Love this one too:
http://www.cafepress.com/badrapstore.153818392

I also love pitties. When our 2 dog kids have crossed the rainbow bridge - we will be adopting one. They are just so magnificent and SO profiled!

The best books have been written by Diane Jessup. Both "The Working Pit Bull" & "The Dog Who Spoke to Gods" (novel) are absolutely AWESOME!
hugs,
Kary

http://sheepatthebeachartstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  09:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Kary, this IS cool! I have a few others that I wear--a BSL shirt, especially. You'd be surprised how many people aske me what BSL means.

I've not heard of those books, Kary, and I really appreciate the references. We're going to the beach in a couple of weeks, and I was looking for something read!!! I think I've just found it!

Good luck in your adoption (when you do)...lord knows there are plenty of these poor souls out there just waiting for you and your understanding.

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  09:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't mind getting a pit bull but I think that the city plans on making them illegal to own and I wouldn't want to have to give up a pet so probably wouldn't bother. We do own a German Shepherd/St. Bernard mix and she is just a big loveable teddy bear. The kids (ages 2 and 3) love to sit on her and cuddle with her and she puts up with it. She doesn't open up to strangers though so she isn't able to wander the yard, she has to be on a leash or chained. She is such a beautiful dog and weighs 100 lbs so is a lot to handle. Too bad that she has to live in town - we got her when she was a small puppy and we lived in the country and she was able to roam free until we moved to twon last year when she was four years old.
I agree, it takes a bad owner to make a bad dog.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just bought this tee-shirt (about dogs)!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page