BillieKay
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

BillieKay
Centennial Wyoming
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  9:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know where I could buy a VERY sturdy wooden clothes drying rack?
I have only found really weak crappy ones that collapse with one pair of jeans on them. I don't have a dryer anymore and have no plans or $$$ to buy one. We heat with wood so it should be easy in the winter to do laundry if I had a couple of really good quality racks.
BillieKay

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  10:54:47 PM  Show Profile
www.Lehmans.com they have good ones!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  2:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi BillieKay-
I have one from Gaiam. They're still on sale, $47.00. When I bought this one, 7/20, shipping was also reduced, $4.95 per order. It holds a full load of laundry including jeans, though jeans need a lot of circulation to dry so I wouldn't load many of them on it for that reason. I bought this same rack from LLBean origionally.
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=gai&category%5Fname=l3%5FLaundryHousehold&product%5Fid=10%2D8002

(I sealed the rungs with clear sealant because I'd had previous wooden drying racks stain my light colored clothes. Also helped it was sealed the times it's been left out in the rain. <G>)

Also, this kind of hanger is very popular in Asian communities here and cheap and easy to buy if you can find them near you.
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Clothes-rack-manufacturers/p/2000000003844/3000000159356/1000981713.htm
We use this for underwear.

-Marylouise

quote:
Originally posted by BillieKay

Does anyone know where I could buy a VERY sturdy wooden clothes drying rack?
I have only found really weak crappy ones that collapse with one pair of jeans on them. I don't have a dryer anymore and have no plans or $$$ to buy one. We heat with wood so it should be easy in the winter to do laundry if I had a couple of really good quality racks.
BillieKay

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile
hey welcome Mlouise!! you sound like one of us for sure....glad you are here..please introduce yourself in the Welcome Wagon section..we would love to get to know you!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Ever thought about just stringing up a clothes line across the room your woodstove is in? My friend did that, hung them up at night and they were dry and down in the early morning. She just put the line on eye hooks and clasps and took it down in the morning, too.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:30:16 PM  Show Profile
I got my new wooden drying rack out yesterday and hung some white tshirts on it. When I took them off they had an orange line across from the wood spindle. Is there something I could coat the spindles with or just try and wash them?

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  12:37:55 AM  Show Profile
I've had a retractable clothes line in my basement. Same general principle. Eye hooks is a nice simple idea.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=pd_sc/103-4356576-8305415?index=blended&field-keywords=retractable%20clothesline

I always liked the ones you sometimes see in old British movies, or BBC productions: a wooden frame with clothesline strung on it which was on a pully system. They pulled it down from the ceiling in order to hang up the clothes and then pulled it back up while the clothes dried, or when it was not in use.
-Marylouise

quote:
Originally posted by Fabulous Farm Femmes

Ever thought about just stringing up a clothes line across the room your woodstove is in? My friend did that, hung them up at night and they were dry and down in the early morning. She just put the line on eye hooks and clasps and took it down in the morning, too.

Edited by - mlouise on Aug 09 2005 12:38:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:23:50 PM  Show Profile
"Deluxe heavy duty clothesline elevator."

Here's something new to me which is rather the same principle as the British thing I was describing, tho fewer rows. Raises and lowers 50". That could definitely take it up to the ceiling.
http://www.wrightaluminum.on.ca/elevators.html
-Marylouise

[quote]Originally posted by mlouise

I always liked the ones you sometimes see in old British movies, or BBC productions: a wooden frame with clothesline strung on it which was on a pully system. They pulled it down from the ceiling in order to hang up the clothes and then pulled it back up while the clothes dried, or when it was not in use.
-Marylouise

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Kay...use some clear varnish or sealant..then it won't happen.. I hope the stains come out!!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  11:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny -- thanks for the tip. DUH -- I should have thought of that. The stains did come out.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  01:49:22 AM  Show Profile
That's why I love this board, so many helpful suggestions and tips! I'm interested in a sturdy drying rack and will check out the places mentioned above. When my last bargain priced rack fell apart I started to hang jeans on coat hangers (using clothespins to hold) and hung the hangers from the shower rod. They dry nicely this way without worry of a crease from being hung over a drying rod. Just thought I'd pass this tip along, thanks! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Wooden clothes drying rack Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page