Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What kind of Natural Laundry Soap do you use?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What kind of Natural Laundry Soap do you use? Next Topic  

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  07:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Also, could you post reviews of brands of natural laundry soap you used, Good & Bad....worth the pice... etc..

I just order lehmans natural laundry soap, I will let you know how it works.

I liked to get the most bang for my buck.
Thanks,
CountryChick

beachaubergine
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

cape cod MA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile
I don't really use handmade or homemade soaps but right now I am using a powder detergent from Trader Joes. It is a large box and seems to be lasting a long time. Before that I was using Seventh Generation liquids. I have to get another bottle of this too since it was helpful for stains to have the liquid/enzyme detergent. I buy them at the supermarket, but you can get them bulk through Real Goods/Gaiam and probably save money.There are some natural clothes detergents you can get at the supermarket, citrus stuff, but I liked the Seventh Generation best because there is a free and clear one without dyes and perfumes. I think even my mother is using it now. I know she still uses the Fels Naptha (sp) bar, although I have never really tried that one myself or have any idea how natural it is!
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I think I've found some of the best natural, American-made laundry detergent. It smells delicious and you need very little for each load (I think I probably get about 50 loads out of one bag). And it supports two very wonderful farmgirls! www.thefarmchicks.com

They also have some delicious soaps, lotions and linen spray!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:08:30 PM  Show Profile
I just got a recipe for homemade laundry soap that I'm going to try...I'm new to this "natural" way of life (trying it all out!) so tell me if this isn't considered natural:

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax

Mix it and use only 1 tbsp. for light load and 2 tbsp. for heavy or soiled load

I'm going to get the ingredients tomorrow and make some, I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Mollymae: I have tried that recipe and it works pretty well.

I have been extremely busy lately so I have been buying Bi-O-Kleen laundry detergent. It works well.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Molly -- I made this laundry soap according to Aunt Jenny's recipe which I think called for 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha grated with the same amounts of washing soda and borax. I use 1 cup per load and it does pretty well. It does not suds and rinses clean.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Well that's good to know that some of you have tried it and it works! I'm definitely going to get the stuff tomorrow (provided Walmart has everything I need)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:58:28 PM  Show Profile
By the way, if I want to put in some essential oil into it to make it smell pretty (I'm thinking lavender, since I have some), how much should I use for the recipe?

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Where can I purchase this soap? (Fels Naptha Soap) I am new and I would like to try this recipe for the washing powder.

Linda H
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  5:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, You should be able to find it at the grocery store in either the laundry soap aisle or regular soap aisle. I got my at Safeway but I'm not sure you have those there. I only paid $1.35 a bar. Or you could try the hardware store. I think in one of the threads someone posted some links to buy it online.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  12:51:12 PM  Show Profile
I recently bought a sampler basket of laundry and house cleaning items at a local Target Store. The brand is called "METHOD". They are non-toxic, concentrated (small containers) and scented with essential oils. I LOVE THEM!!! The work really well and I believe you can get them at www.drugstore.com and at www.method.com.

Jana , WI
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  07:30:26 AM  Show Profile
I like the method stuff too, but it's really expensive. I used Aunt Jenny's laundry soap recipe and I love it. It smells really fresh and costs less than a dollar to make 2 gallons! I put a few drops of bergamot in mine and it made it smell even nicer. I was actually trying to find the original thread that I got the recipe from to thank her... maybe she'll find this one.

'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  09:54:47 AM  Show Profile
I too love the Method stuff. I love the scent 'fresh air' I think is what it's called. The blue one whatever that one is, but it is expensive. They say that it's very concentrated but as much laundry that goes on in this house I need somehing cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile
I guess I never saw it, what was Aunt Jenny's recipe?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What kind of Natural Laundry Soap do you use? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page