joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  2:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Today we went to the thrift store.. the fabric section was empty!! But I did find 2 king sized denim pillow cases that I can recycle for something.. Once I learn how to use this serger I plan on repurposing a few ill fitting tshirts into nursing tank top to wear under another shirt (there will be slits over the breast area for easy nursing).
I need to check out the other thrift stores- sheets, table cloths, pillow cases are all good sources of fabric..
I will also be going through dh's clothes- whatever he isn't wearing is open territory
I love recycling in this fashion- I also unravel sweaters for yarn. I have a beautiful cocoa cashmere sweater that will be a lovely lace shawl when I am done with it!!
have a great day!
debra

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  8:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, There is a lady on Ebay that recyles wool sweaters into skeins of yarn..She has a pretty good business going.

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Some of the best fabric I have found has been thrift store sheets, pillow cases and bedskirts. It seems some people buy a bed set and donate the parts of it they don't use or want, as all that I've purchased has been brand new. If the thread count is high, you can end up with some pretty darn nice fabric for next to nothing.
Now if I could just get past this addiction to making "Frannie Dolls", maybe I could actually sew something useful!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  6:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Debra,
I'll have to clue you in on the best thrift shops in this area and when to go to which ones. My area of expertise :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Debra,
"repurposing" is such fun....I am addicted to Hawaiian shirts, which are great to making little tote purses, pillows, etc. out of.
Then there are the large mens shirts that make great aprons....as Georgann as taught us.
Don't forget to recycle those buttons too!
Have fun.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 26 2007 7:07:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  09:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, please doooo.... we love thrifting!! I would greatly appreciate such a list!
blessings,debra
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile
hawaiian shirts is a good idea.. and I hadn't even thought about large mens shirts! what a great idea.. so much fabric..
blessings,debra
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic recycling fabric Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page