Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Strange dog issue. Can this really happen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Strange dog issue. Can this really happen? Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  05:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Okay this is really weird!

We have 3 english mastiffs. Two were a breeding pair but the male dog started losing a lot of weight last year so we had opted to have him neutered since the vet could find nothing wrong with him hoping it would help bulk him up. During the operation he went unconcious and wouldn't stop bleeding. Eventually he did come too but the doctor was able to determine that he had Erlichia (or Tick Fever) which he described as being somewhat similar in effect to AIDS in humans. Anyway Hagrid got better and all was well.

Lily went into heat back in early July. We live in the middle of nowhere and have never even seen a stray dog around but we were keeping Lily penned up for the duration mostly so she would wander off. One night we were in the yard and she was playing with Hagrid(who is neutered).

Well one thing lead to another and they got "hooked up" as my husband says. We laughed and picked on Hagrid for being silly and didn't really think anything more of it.

Well it has been about 49 days since that occured and I am beginning to think Lily is pregnant! Her teets and abdomen are both starting to swell and it seems her motherly instinct is kicking in. She is protective of food, forcefully (she weighs 140 lbs) pushing her way into the house etc.

I KNOW FOR SURE that lily did not have access to any other dogs during this time. SO, is it possible that a neutered dog could get her pregnant or is it a "false" pregnancy? I can not feel any puppies but it may still be a little early. She went about 68 days with her last litter and I really couldn't feel them until the last 10 days or so just becuase of her size.

Am I crazy? Does anyone know of this happening?

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I don't think there is any possible way for a neutered dog to impregnate your [bleep]. It's possible that it's a phantom pregnancy. Even though you don't usually see stray dogs or neighbor dogs around doesn't mean that they maybe aren't coming around while you aren't home or while you're sleeping. When it comes to a [bleep] in heat, to a male dog, where there is a will, there is a way. Earlier this year, I had a [bleep] go into heat that I didn't want bred. I thought I had kept her away from my male the one day she was in heat around him. After that I sent her to my parents house and brought their male home with me. So only for one day was she possible even around a male and she was kept outside and him inside, but somehow he must have gotten her without me knowing because 9 weeks later she had a bunch of his puppies! This same male with push out the screen in the living room and jump the 6 feet to the ground to go after a [bleep] in heat. So even though you kept her penned up, doesn't mean another dog didn't come around and get her. Would it have been possible for a dog to jump in where you keep her? My male I am talking about is a Shih Tzu and he regularly jumps over 4 foot gates, so I know a larger dog would be capable of just about anything. Also, I have had neutered dogs get hooked up with [bleep]es in heat many times with nothing to worry about. They just do that sometimes, though I don't know why. My dog that had gotten pregnant and I couldn't figure out how, I thought was having a phantom pregnancy, even the vet couldn't feel the puppies. I guess you'll just have to wait and see. Has she had a litter before? Can you squeeze milk out her nipples?
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  05:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,

It sounds like your girl is having a "false pregnancy". The female will act like she's expecting, nest, eat more, and even produce milk but they are not pregnant and don't have any puppies. After about 60-64 days from the day of the breeding, she will start to return to normal.

The other possibility, another dog got to her when you didn't know. I don't really think your male could possibly produce a litter after being neutered. However, I have heard of a male breeding a female after being neutered and going through the steps including the tie. No puppies result though. The only possible way a neutered dog "might" be able to produce puppies after a breeding would be to breed the female within a day of his surgery maybe. He might have a few sperm left but they usually remove both testicles so he is incapable of producing sperm. I hope this helps. Either way, you'll know the rest of the story pretty soon.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  05:52:38 AM  Show Profile
I kept her penned the entire time she was in heat so even if a stray dog came it couldnt get to her. Our pen is burried 4 feet into the ground with 8 foot tall sides. Also if a stray dog came anywhere near our property our dogs would probably kill it.

Someone told me it is possible for dogs to have a third testicle that is not noticed during the procedure.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  05:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,

A third testicle would have been noticed by your vet for sure when he neutered your dog.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  08:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Go Hagrid! You dog you!

Okay, what they say makes sense but you just want to give Hagrid a high five, don't cha?

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL

I am not sure of the medical chances involved in this but you will have a litter of miracles if she is pregnant! And it always is a possibility that the vet might not of finished the operation because of the bleeding...

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  3:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I am wondering what type of fencing you have...friends of mine had Setters and did not want a breeding at the time the female went into heat...however, and I have heard of this before, the type of fencing was not enough to stop them from mating through the fence, the male had gotten out and well there was a litter of very cute puppies!!!

I hope all of your canine companions are healthy (I like mastiffs very much)and wouldn't you just like to have had a video camera on when you weren't watching to see what kind of hijinx they are up to?

peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:27:30 AM  Show Profile
Erin you are so funny! My husband said the same thing. He is all proud about it! MEN! I am 100% that she did not have contact with any other animals. We were on summer break so the dogs were in our site the entire time she was in heat. I know HAgrid was with her but we let him in the fence to play with her. We didn't think it would be an issue. Oh well I guess I will let you all know in a week or so!

She had nine in her first litter and I was able to feel and count them all ahead of time. I just cant feel any. Maybe it's just a false one!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I use to have a pet dog named inky who was sired by two show dogs that only got near each other while in their cadges at a dog show and the owners caught them at it so to speak through the cages it can happen through a fence I would guess just as easily

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile
The cage is a 10' x10' chain link cage but it is housed inside the barn. The dog would have gotten into the barn, into the pen area and then would have had to "penetrate" through the cage. While I know it is possible I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  5:53:39 PM  Show Profile
Totally different animal, but not long ago on the news was a story about a female chimpanzee in some sort of rescue/retirement type place who became pregnant. The funny part was that ALL of the males had been neutered. After the baby chimp was born, they did a DNA test to identify the father, who was one of the "neutered" males. They ended up redoing the neuter-they said there must have been some problem with the surgery not being "complete".

Soooo, maybe it can happen in dogs, too?

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  6:11:56 PM  Show Profile
I am currently experiencing the same situation only with my pygmy goats! 2 years ago we got a little boy goat, Bam Bam from the zoo as a little companion for our GiGi. Bam Bam was "fixed' before he left the zoo, I know this cause I had to watch the procedure site for infection. In June I notice GiGi has milk and lots of it and Mr. Bam Bam has a little something of his own, if you know what I mean. So we can see the babies moving around in her belly, but have no idea when to expect their arrival. Of course every MAN that sees GiGi and hears the story is soooo proud of Bam Bam!!! Now that I'm no longer in denial, I'm looking forward to the little ones. Also, we are the only farm with goats, so I know who the culprit is. So I guess anything is possible! Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  04:37:12 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about dogs but in horses, after you geld a horse he can still 'do the deed' for a little while, say up to a month or so after the operation. The hormones and other stuff are still in the system and it takes a while for things to work it out so maybe that's the way it was with your dogs. I know of a case at the Humane Society where a female was put in with a neutered male and she ended up having a litter, all the while never having left the HS property.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  07:55:18 AM  Show Profile
Well it has been a year with Hagrids surgery. Alee may be right that they didn't finish the procedure becuse of his health issues an bleeding.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Strange dog issue. Can this really happen? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page