Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hummingbirds Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  2:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
We have been for lack of a better word infested with Hummingbirds. For 9 years we tried to encourage them to visit us and they would come and do a fly by at our feeders and then leave. But for what ever reason this year has been different. Today I came home from work and was buzzed by 6 of them. Then sitting by the computer I looked out the window to see them buzzing the feeders. I went out to the deck and actually had to duck to be missed by two playing tag. It is soooo wonderful to have them by the flock.

P.S. Yesterday I also had an Oriole feeding on the Hummingbird feeder and while watching the Hummingbird also came to feed. The two fed together on the same feeder. How wonderful to see them.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  3:03:33 PM  Show Profile
How lucky you are to see so many hummingbirds! I rarely see any, although, I did get to see one in my garden a few weeks ago. At first I thought it a big nasty bug, then when it got closer, I was thrilled! I stood still, and it fluttered right by me, then took off. It was very pretty with a irridescent (sp?)green breast. Very cool!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  3:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
If you have to be infested, what better way than with hummingbirds, Betty Jo. I haven't seen very many this year. But I do have lots more butterflies than last year, so I'm grateful for that!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  03:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Betty Jo,

We have noticed a lot more hummingbirds at our feeders here in PA also....wonder if there is something going on? My bil has seen as many as 9 at one time around their feeder (they are our neighbors on the farm). Gotta keep lots of sugar on hand at that rate! We fill our feeder every couple of days, but my bil says they drain his feeder twice a day!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  06:55:53 AM  Show Profile
We have one that lives year round in our neighborhood. During the summer we then get "immigrants" from southern California - the bright green with red throats. These visitors just irritate our year round guy - he is very territorial He believes the connecting yards are his and his alone - so there are always chases going on. I love to sit out in the early evening and watch them buzz around. The year round guy usually follows me around the yard when I am out weeding, etc. He wants to make sure I take care of things properly I guess

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  07:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
here are pictures of the ones I have seen lately

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile
I have had more the last couple of weeks. They usually leave here in September so I figured they must be fattening up for their trip south. They usually leave at the end of Sept. but maybe they are leaving a little earlier this year. Just a thought.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  08:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine,
Love the pics. I used one as a background on my computer. I hope you don't mind.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! What a great year for hummingbirds! I saw some earlier this year when my apple tree was blooming, but haven't seen any since- but then again this year we didn't have many flowers around the place.

Thanks for sharing the pictures ladies!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
that is fine patsy

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful show of hummingbirds! How lucky to capture those beautiful birds on camera. My sister has a few in her flower garden and we really enjoy watching them flutter from flower to flower.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow, those are National Geographic-quality photos! Fabulous! Aren't "hummers" wonderful, though? We have a feeder year-'round, since hummers in our area don't migrate (maybe because of all the feeders!) and most times of the year there are also flowers in bloom that they enjoy. They put on quite a show!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  2:07:24 PM  Show Profile
All summer long until about 2 weeks ago we had the most hummingbirds I have ever seen. They were swarming the feeder and all ate together which is something rarely more than 2 did.I couldn't keep the feeders full, they would literally drain a big feeder in one day.We have this one I call Grumpy,he comes every year he is so funny, he sits atop the holder and puffs himself out with the grumpiest look you can imagine, then he dive bombs the other ones. We always have them but not like that. I was so happy I just love them. Now it is down to the regular few. I know they will be heading south soon. I always look for them in the spring. Those pictures were awesome !!

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  5:57:11 PM  Show Profile
you actually might be in a migratory path for them now.
how cool!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile
What wonderful photos - it is great you were able to capture them. Last night I was out clipping rosemary and a couple "buzzed" me and then later in the evening there was one looking in our front window from the porch. Scared the cat at first, then the cat was interested because the humming bird just hovered there in front of the window checking out our front porch.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  1:07:30 PM  Show Profile
I loved the pictures Sunshine. We usually have a couple every year. I don't have a feeder out, they come to the Butterfly bush, my petunias, the luciferious, bright red flower, the trumphet vine. They all bloomed a little later this year so we have only had them around in the last couple of weeks. Sure do enjoy them. Grandma Emma who lives next door finally got to see them and was mesmerized for a bit. It was fun watching her and watching the hummingbird.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

sheepdream
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Diane
Bloomington Indiana
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  5:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, here in Indiana, I have hummingbirds, but they sure don't share the sugar water. They are quite territorial and will be aggressive when feeding. I don't think I've ever seen two feed at one time, let alone 6 or more! A couple of years ago, when I 'forgot' to bring my feeder in at the end of October, I noticed a hummingbird. Long story short is that it was a migratory Rufous hummingbird that should have been headed towards the west coast in California, Oregon,& Washington State. I rigged up a heavy-duty outdoor rated lamp bulb that generated enough heat to keep the sugar water from freezing well into December. The last day I saw this Rufous was December 21st. I had an expert from southern Illinois come and band/document the Rufous and a biologist from Indiana University came to photograph it, as Rufous hummingbirds ususally don't make it this far east. I only hope my December Rufous made it down to Missouri to catch the southern winds to carry her down to Texas. It was for me quite an experience to see a hummingbird outside my window with snow on the ground!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work." Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  06:59:48 AM  Show Profile
This weekend I saw something strange in my butterfly bush from the office window. So I went out to investigate and what do I find, but a baby hummingbird. First I have ever seen, momma was not too far away either - so we let her and the new baby (who was testing his wings) be in the bush. He/she was so cute - still kinda downy and a bit wobbly on the branch, but seemed to be getting the flying down.

Anne

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hummingbirds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page