Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I need help rag quilting!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need help rag quilting! Next Topic  

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  12:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone here rag quilt? I'm a self taught quilter who just had a second grand baby last weekend with another one due this fall, and I wanted to learn to make each a rag quilt, can anyone suggest a good book to learn from? They seem easy enough but I learn better one on one either by book or taught. Sure would appreacite any ideas? Thank you!! Junebug ( Sisterhood of the Traveling art)

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!

pennyfour
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  12:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Junebug,

What is rag quilting? Sounds interesting. Thanks in advance for sharing. Pennyfour
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  12:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Its where the ends to any pattern, but I've only seen sqaures, are fraied? I hope I spelled it right?

Go to Top of Page

pennyfour
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Junebug:

I think I have seen this type of quilt before. They were made of flannel squares that were pieced together, the seam allowances clipped in intervals, and then upon washing and drying the seams became ragged. Would this be a rag quilt? If so, I purchased a Simplicity pattern (No. 4993) to try out. There are three quilts one can make that are in the shape of a cat, dog, or teddy bear. They look pretty cute but I have not attempted one yet. Think I'll try in the fall/winter when it's a little cooler around here to work with flannel! Pennyfour

Edited by - pennyfour on Jul 26 2005 1:38:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  4:17:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Junebug -- I'm a rag quilter and love doing it. I just finished a rag baby quilt, pillow, and a rag pillow for my couch. It is so easy and so forgiving -- if you don't get the squares cut just right no big deal cause they're going to be clipped anyway. Here's a link that has lots of info. http://quilting.about.com/library/weekly/aa030202.htm

If you need any other info please email me and I'll be glad to help.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  09:33:40 AM  Show Profile
Rag quilts are so cozy. I like the ones that use flannel instead of batting as the middle layer. One bit of advice. After clipping the seams, take it to a laundromat to wash and dry it. Wash it in one of those BIG machines. All those threads can really mess up your home washing machine.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, I was hoping someone here would be able to help and you did! Kay, thanks for the link, will check it out now. You all described just what I had seen in a magazine awhile back but havent' been able to find a book on it, checked out the library with not one book on rag quilts. And Nancy, thanks for the tip, will do that. Fall and winter are my sewing seasons but with new grand babies, I need to get busy soon if I want them done before Christmas. I can't wait to get started, am so glad they are easy and forgiving!! Bless you all for the help! Hugs to all...

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  12:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on going to the laundromat for washing and drying. You cand seriously clog up your washing machine with thread. I wait until I have a few done then take them and wash like colors together. That way I'm not running to the laundromat for one quilt! And the be sure to put a note with them to tell the recipients of your gift to wash separately for the first couple of times so they won't have little threads all over the other clothes! I learned this from experience.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need help rag quilting! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page