Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone here from Northern Nevada??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone here from Northern Nevada?? Next Topic  

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:37:38 AM  Show Profile
We just moved to Silver Springs Nevada.. Any farm girls in the area..
blessings,debra

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Debra,
I live in Fernley, can't get too much closer without being in the same town!
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, stupid AOL hasn't been letting me go to any websites and Carol Sue was nice enough to email me about your post.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, A local farmgirl!!!??? I am so excited.. So do you have a farm?? We are living on acreage but we are looking for something bigger. My husband rented the first house he could find on acreage.. but it is too small for our large family and there is nothing on the property.. if the house met our needs we would put the time and effort in the property but it just doesn't meet our needs..
I have been to fernley several times.. nice little town.
I am a sahm to 6.. I homeschool them. I knit, crochet, weave, spin and sew.. I miss living on a farm.. we had apple trees, blueberries and blackberries, a garden, neighbors who supplied us with eggs and beef.. I canned, hung my clothes on the line and loved my life.. We are miserable here- at lease in this house.. I am not quite sure why my husband chose it knowing our life before here.. :-)
blessings,debra
Tell me a bit about yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  2:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Debra, I live in Sparks and Ronna lives right in your backyard! I'm so sorry that you aren't happy here! I hope it's just the house and not the state!

It sounds like you like to do the same things as me, I have a large garden which has been keeping me busy this summer and I like to quilt, knit and cook. I do hang my clothes out ( 2 loads out there now!) so I think we have lots in common. Please feel free to e-mail me and we'll talk!

Can't wait to hear from you, I will be in LA for a couple days for a meeting but I WILL write you back! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  3:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Lee, Thank you so much.. I do think it is the house. I sure hope we can find something bigger, more suitable for our family..
Oh how I miss my clothes line.. with no wind barrier all we get is sandy wind.. I don't ever go outside unless it is to get into the car to leave.. It is that yucky. We live next door to the women's work camp.
You are so very lucky to have a large garden. Jeff went to the storage shed this morning. the owner has a garden. She gave jeff a couple of tomatoes. I had a salad for breakfast. It was delicious.
I drive into Reno a couple of times a month to hit Sam's club.. Do you know of any local co-op to order whole foods in bulk- like wheat berries, oat meal etc..
Thanks, debra
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  4:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Debra,

Welcome, I am in Dayton. Do email me so we can chat further!

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  6:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Watch out for my hippie-cowboy brother, he and his wife live in Silver Springs.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  9:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rebecca~
Love hippie-cowboy types. One of our favorite songs is by folk singer, Greg Brown. "A cross between our parents and hippies in a tent".

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  4:19:28 PM  Show Profile
I am soooo excited.. our property manager just picked up a new house to rent- and we are renting it! It is about 500 sq bigger than what we are in now but it also has a garage!!! This means that we won't have to have a house full of freezers and excess we can store it in the garage.. the house itself is beautiful, new and even comes with a big screen! It has a pantry in the kitchen, a new fridge (my fridge will go in the garage as my extra, I can start buying more produce- since we will have a place to store it!).. a laundry room!! yay! a very wide hallway that ends with a built in desk with plenty of room for our 2 laptops, upper cabinets for my important papers and bills, lower cabinets for the kids school stuff.. a linen closet (we don't have one).. the boys room has a huge walk in closet.. the master bedroom has a huge walk in closet with a pass through to the bathroom which is also huge! It is lovely and peaceful.. it is 5 acres that is fenced and surrounded by neighbors who have horses and gardens!! much more rural feeling than here. It has a family room and a living room- so I get the living room for my craft room. my craft room has a fireplace!
We walked in to the house and felt right at home.. very peaceful.. not like here. We walked in and I started to cry- so did my daughter. It is ugly.. THis other house- we would be totally be content in for a long while!
blessings,debra
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome Debra! Sounds wonderful!

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  6:34:15 PM  Show Profile
THanks Theresa.. We are sooo very excited. We have all been very depressed here. WHen we walked into this house we just felt at peace, right at home.. and to top it off my daughter and I were talking about getting here a loft bed for her room, I get online and a freecycle email comes through for a white loft bed in fallon. I have emailed her to see if it is still available.. I sure hope so.. Hey.. while I am thinking about it- we are in need of upright chest dressers.. 4 of them to be exact.. if you come across any cheap please let me know.
I look forward to going to the vintagefair.. it sounds like fun.
You have got to read the Purpose Driven Life. If you liked Facing the Giants you will love the book- the coach was using the "purpose" that I learned in the book.
blessings,debra
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  11:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, Do you know Nancy Dineen? She sells fresh eggs and poultry in Dayton. I read about her in the paper and am trying to get her phone number. Let me know.

Debra, I'm happy for you! Is this house still in Silver Springs?
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  12:13:31 PM  Show Profile
yes, it is still in Silver Springs.. I would love to get fresh eggs around here.
debra
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  12:15:54 PM  Show Profile
I read that article too.....I don't know how to get a hold of her. Although I have some ideas. So let me see what I can do and get back with you....

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Debra,
I found this advertisment...Have you been over there yet?

Farmers Green Market, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Custom Gardens Certified Organic Farm, 3701 Elm St., Silver Springs. All shoppers welcome. Farm is state-approved to accept Senior Coupons for fresh produce. Call ahead for Ray or Virginia Johnson at 577-2069

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  6:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Is that Farmers Market a specific day in Silver Springs or open like a store? I'd be interested.
thanks,
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  9:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ronna,
I really don't know, I would call before you head out.....I have yet to go. Since Iam in Dayton, I purchased from Smith and Smith farms. Which is a June- October season. I did that last summer and it was wonderful! Such nice people. Sunch good fresh food. I am still at a loss for a phone number for Nancy Dineen. I saw the same article as Cindy.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  12:10:04 PM  Show Profile
It is on the way to my new house I believe. I saw a sign from the road and told jeff we needed to check it out. Thanks for the phone number I will give them a call.
debra
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Debra, There is a food co-op in Reno off of Wells Ave and Wonder. I don't know if they have what you are looking for but you could give it a try. The phone number is 324-6133. Let me know what you find.....Cindy
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
THanks Cindy. I will let you know. I am not sure if I will be able to make it to Reno before the move.. Jeff is working hard at getting the money together from clients so we can move sooner.. this house we are in now- we are on top of eachother.. the quicker we get into the bigger house the better.
debra
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Debra, I wanted to also tell you that there is a CSA garden in Silver Springs. They had openings the last time I checked, don't know about that now. The contacts are Ray or Virginia at 577-2069. Hope all is going well with the move! Cindy
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone here from Northern Nevada?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page