brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  8:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I am about ready to just empty it out of EVERYTHING and start over. There is so much stuff in there I can't find anything, and half of it is spoiled because I haven't been home much lately.

Do you girls have a routine for cleaning out the refrigerator?

How often do you throw out things like soy sauce, olives, relish, mustard, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, etc. when they've been in the door of the fridge for seemingly years?

For example, I've been married 5 years, and I KNOW I brought the soy sauce with me from my previous house. How long can you keep it? Is it good forever?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  12:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I wish I did have a schedule for cleaning the fridge but I can't say I get really excited about cleaing a 27 year old one. I generally wipe little spills as they happen.
As for throwing things out, I follow the expiration date. Except for cheese and buttermilk, which are fine until moldy. I also keep pickled things a long time. I'm not so sure about soy sauce or worcestershire, but since they are so salty, I'm thinking they would last a long time, also.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  05:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I think your soy sauce might qualify as an experiment. LOL I might have some tarter sauce packets that old just as well. It seems like my fridge always needs cleaned out. Like Jana, it's hard to get excited about cleaning out an old fridge. Mine is only 26 years old.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  09:38:25 AM  Show Profile
A couple years ago when my grandpa had a stroke and went to the hospital, my mom and I were cleaning his house and when we cleaned out the fridge, we found a jar of tartar sauce that expired in 1987. Mom said grandpa doesn't eat tartar sauce, so that was grandma's, who passed away in January of 1988. That was the oldest thing I have ever found in a fridge. He also had towels in the way back of the linen closet that were still folded by my grandma. Grandpa didn't fold any of the towels, he just threw them in there. There were so many towels, he never used them all, hence the ones that haven't been touched in 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Heather! That makes me think I need to go clean out my fridge just for good measure!

I would toss all the condiments and everything on their expiration date as well or if they start smelling funky. But if you are nervous about it now, you won't ever use it so you might as well toss it and start over again.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe you all have had your refrigerators that long. Must not make em like they used to. My schedule is to clean it when I can no longer fit any thing else on the shelves. ;)

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile
We just moved a couple of months ago. We had to leave a fridge behind.. I have 6 children- I was easily able to fill 2 fridges every 2 weeks. Now it is just the one fridge.. I don't buy near as much produce as I did before because I just don't have the room to store it.. I miss my other fridge!!!this one is packed!
blessings,debra
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile
My husbands parents just finished a jar of Persian pickle relish that was 32 years old! They claim it lasts forever! I wouldn't want any, but none of them got sick! Then again, there's the Chinese 100 year old pickled eggs that people back big bucks for!

I for one hate cleaning out my fridge. I only do it when the spills get out of hand!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  7:33:06 PM  Show Profile
EEUUWWW - you have me beat. I don't think any of my relish is more than 2 years old!

I have been working on the fridge tonight, and there were a lot more mushy cucumbers in there than I want to admit... Yuck...

I wonder if I can get some of those clear bins to replace my opaque ones? Do you think the sizes would be close enough? Don't know if I would actually use stuff up more if it wasn't hiding behind closed doors....

Or maybe I should just buy a new refrigerator!!!!!!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Last month I went to class about mustards at our Botanical Gardens (they give monthly free classes during lunch hour) and my favorite factoid to tell people is that MUSTARD NEVER GOES BAD. It may dry up (simply reconstitute with a little water) or lose it's flavor but it will never become unsafe. The woman sitting next to me lived in Germany during WWII and she said she still never refrigerates her mustard because they ate so many mustard sandwiches during the war and didn't have a 'fridge so she figures it must be ok. Anyway, I thought I'd share that so you could at least save the mustard when you're going through your refrigerator.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  2:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tiffany! I started at the bottom two drawers and am slowly working my way up, haven't gotten to the doors yet, so the mustard is safe, so far!

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear that mustard never goes bad! I left soe out on the counter for two whole days and was about to throw it away but will save it now!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile
I keep my mustard in the fridge just because I like it cold.
my mom stores her mustard in the cupboard never the fridge. Has for years. She says there is nothing in it that can go bad

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  9:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Off to clean the fridge...

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

sweetthunder214
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

theresa
smithville tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  04:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Send sweetthunder214 an AOL message  Send sweetthunder214 a Yahoo! Message
I clean mine out when I get like you.. if I cant find a place to put stuff its time to clean it out. If its left-overs I tell the family eat them tonight or you will be eating them again tomorrow! If its just too many condiments I try to combine them. Somehow there is always two of something opened in there. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  07:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Tiffany is right about the mustard factoid. In fact, I don't refrigerate mine, either. Hate cold mustard.

I clean out the fridge everytime I go to the grocery--mostly because I am adept in buying multiple dairy items--half and half, sour cream and whipping cream, some that have been opened, some that haven't, some that have been opened and turned into a science experiment. I toss out everything that is past it's date except for eggs, unless they are REALLY passed their date (a few days is alright with me). I clean up spills as they happen. I also clean out all of the containers of leftovers. If I haven't touched them in a week, I'm not gonna. Then I suddenly have more dishes!!!!

The only thing I don't clean out of the fridge is a coke can that dh left there when he first moved into the house after we married. We got it from the machine at the Uhaul place, and it was the only thing that wasn't sold out. We shared the coke while we were moving in his things, and the can remains in the fridge as a reminder of that first day of our life together--when I bought a new fridge and changed everything over, the coke can came too.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  08:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Awwwww, what a neat remembrance, Jonni!

BTW, I usually clean out the fridge the night before trash day, or right before I do a big shop, or when I am clearing it out before we are going out of town for more than a day or two.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  10:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a good idea Jo!

Here is a cleaning tip- Use an old tooth brush and some non-gel toothpaste to scrub the rubber seal around the fridge door. It usually catches dust, food particles, and grease from the air. It can become a prime bacteria and fungus breeding ground. Luckily they are easy to clean when you have an old toothbrush laying around. :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  3:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Good tip, Alee! I always keep the old toothbrushes around for cleaning...so I really have no excuses to try this one out!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! After reading the posts, I decided to tackle my refrigerator today and now I have a really clean one. Of course, there's not much food in there now but it's ready for some new experiments ; )

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  08:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
After finding out what kind of bacteria, fungus and viruses can live in a common kitchen I think I am going to become a clean-freak. Oh my word! Did you know that salmonella can cause meningitis in children?!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning out the refrigerator Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page