elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile
What do you make your family for breakfast? With the cost of cereal going through the roof I want to find a cheaper alternative that is also fast to make since school is getting ready to start.

Today I made muffins for this weeks breakfast. I was also thinking about having DH make an extra batch of his Sunday morning pancakes to freeze then we could pop them in the toaster oven when we don't have muffins.

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile
we had, today, oatmeal and flax whole wheat pancakes with pureed bananas on them and juice. MMMMMM.

we usually have something along those lines.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile
I have the absolute same breakfast every morning - AND, my cholesterol is FINE!

2 eggs over easy - cooked in cast iron, no oil - prefer free-range chickens when I can get them
2 whole wheat (dry) toast
8 oz tomato juice (often homemade from my tomatoes)
coffee

Cost is pretty low, I'd say... about $.20 for the eggs, maybe the same for the toast, if I buy the bread instead of making it.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  4:15:42 PM  Show Profile
My daughters and I have started eating rice every morning! It started on accident one morning because we were out of cereal and there was a bunch of rice left over in the fridge. I sliced a couple bananas on top and added a squeeze of honey and that was it! We have tried just about everything with it: syrup, brown sugar/ cinnamon, peaches, applesauce, mangos, yougart, etc. Nothing gross so far! Pretty cheap and easy, and all I have to do is remember to keep a bunch of cooked rice in the fridge.

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  08:06:00 AM  Show Profile
cream of wheat is one of my favorites. Also yogurt witha little sprinkle of cereal on top.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  08:11:19 AM  Show Profile
I love grits, with a little butter, sugar and cinnamon. Or, if I'm feeling "salty" that day, with butter, salt and pepper, usually a piece of wheat toast with blackberry or blueberry jam.
Yummy on an autumn morning when that first chill is in the air!

On the weekends, we have a breakfast sammich or something (eggs, cheese, bacon or sausage)...pretty basic.

I can't pay my dh to eat breakfast...he eats a Tuna sub from Subway every morning (blech)...

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile
I made blueberry muffins for this morning. The kids had a banana and glass of milk with theirs and Husband took all the extras to work. I had toast and a peach after I took the kids to school (first day of school) I like toast or oatmeal most mornings.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Emily, I was thinking over the weekend that I wanted to post this very question and I forgot all about it until I saw this! Don't we get into a rut with breakfast? I hear about these diets where you "should" eat the same thing for one or two meals every day so your body can efficiently process it, and then I have a DH who likes variety; nothing the same two days in a row (except he will gladly take dinner leftovers for lunch the next day).
Anyway, yesterday we had blueberry whoopies and yogurt, today we had toasted cheese bread with sliced ham and a littel dijon mustard with yogurt. Other mornings he gets cereal, or mini-quiches with a few L'il Smokies, or frozen waffles. On weekends we have cereal and yogurt or banana when we are pressed for time, and eggs with bacon,sausage or scrapple with grits when we have a bit more time. My favorite company breakfast is making Belgian waffles in my waffle maker, with sliced strawberries and blueberries on top. Or Eggs Benedict.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
my problem is that i don't know what to eat for breakfast so i just don't eat anything... and i know that is not good at all...
i'm getting some ideas from ya'll... i need something quick that i can grab before heading out to work cause i'm always running either late or right on time...
thanks for the ideas

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  2:42:45 PM  Show Profile
DD and I are not one's to jump out of bed and start eating. We like to ease into our morning.

With the weather so hot DD and I are sticking with fresh fruit, mostly melons and yoghurt. We sometimes have toast or bagels with cream cheese and jam.

In colder months she loves scrambled eggs with diced ham and cheese or a scramble sandwich; which is sourdough toast layered with ham, cheese and scrambles eggs, then pop it in the oven to melt the cheese.

We're like a lot of the other ladies who have to head out early - We just don't want to think about eating.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  10:39:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm on Weight Watchers now, so my breakfasts are pretty much the same every morning. I like Morningstar Farm bacon, and lo/fat frozen waffles - but this is an indulgence money wise that I allow myself to stick with the diet. DH takes his breakfast with him because he has such a long commute. He takes a homemade smoothie, two homemade muffins, a boiled, peeled egg, a chunk of cheese and a few Triscuits. He eats that and drinks his coffee on the way to the job.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile
This morning, I was bad. I had a toasted sesame bagel with butter and a seltzer.

Yesterday, it was a sauteed whole wheat pita bread in olive oil, a poached egg, and a glass of tomato juice.

The day before that, it was a slice of plum cake (MJ's plum streusel recipe, though I doubled the batter recipe)
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile
I like to make a big batch of pancakes & a big batch of waffles every couple of weeks. Pop them in the freezer in a big baggie, and just heat & eat as much as you want during the week. I also make multi-batches of quick breads, keeping one loaf out for current use, giving a loaf to the neighbours or taking it to work, and freezing the rest. I've got a kid who doesn't really care for cereal, so we don't have to worry about the cost. It's generally bread of some sort, & yogurt or a hard-boiled egg, and milk. Sometimes the kiddo (she's going on 10) will have a banana or a smoothie with whatever bread-type item she's having. I'm not a big breakfast person and the hubby leaves for work before the kiddo & I wake up, so it's just me fixing something for her first thing.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for Breakfast? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page